Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Damn Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Throwout bearing

I've searched and I know the usual methods (3rd time taking off an Evo trans) on trying to get it out. Here's where Im at.. Evo 9 MR with a 500 mile Exedy HD TD that is messed up to hell.

1. Tried the screwdriver way, the ring is now messed up all around, the throwout bearing does not move.
2. Tried removing the pressure plate bolts, my dumbass didn't slowly remove them but did 1 at a time and now I have one that will not come out at all because of all the pressure. (Im afraid its stripped) Tried putting the bolts back but now they wont thread back in.
3. The fork now is stuck in 1 position (all the way to the driverside) and it barely budges now even with a breaker bar.
4. Tried forcing it off but no luck at all.
5. Looking at the TOB, it doesnt look messed up nor melted onto the ring or pressure plate.

Please help and give me some ideas as Ive been at it for a week now.

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; Aug 17, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
try having someone wedge a screw driver from the top vent hole and bottom inspection cover at the same time GL
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
try having someone wedge a screw driver from the top vent hole and bottom inspection cover at the same time GL
Thanks. I will try that. Anymore suggestions?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pennies_hatchie
I've searched and I know the usual methods (3rd time taking off an Evo trans) on trying to get it out. Here's where Im at.. Evo 9 MR with a 500 mile Exedy HD TD that is messed up to hell.

1. Tried the screwdriver way, the ring is now messed up all around, the throwout bearing does not move.
2. Tried removing the pressure plate bolts, my dumbass didn't slowly remove them but did 1 at a time and now I have one that will not come out at all because of all the pressure. (Im afraid its stripped) Tried putting the bolts back but now they wont thread back in.
3. The fork now is stuck in 1 position (all the way to the driverside) and it barely budges now even with a breaker bar.
4. Tried forcing it off but no luck at all.
5. Looking at the TOB, it doesnt look messed up nor melted onto the ring or pressure plate.

Please help and give me some ideas as Ive been at it for a week now.
You should be able to remove each bolt completely one by one with no problems. If it really won't come back you can use a screwdriver while holding the fork like usual, then have someone rotate crank while prying, should pop out after a rotation or two with no problem.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Are you twisting or prying with the screw driver? Because I used the widest screw driver and twisted it and that was my problem when I did my Exedy Twin HD
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NewEvolutionIX
Are you twisting or prying with the screw driver? Because I used the widest screw driver and twisted it and that was my problem when I did my Exedy Twin HD
Im using a pretty good size flat head screwdriver. Im twisting it once Im in and we are pushing the fork so that it pushes the TOB in. Its not budging and the ring is pretty bent up from us twisting it in different areas.

So am I not suppose to be twisting it?

Again, I have 1 more bolt left and I believe that its pretty stripped from me trying at it so many times.

Anymore ideas. Any tools that can take out a kind of stripped allen screw out? or pulling the TOB out of the pressure plate?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Well, tried it again today and I ended up breaking the small hook piece on the TOB that goes around the fork . Im thinking right now that I'm going to try to dremel out the allen screw through the fork hole. What do you think? Doable with the small and awkward space?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this happen to me when we where taking off my buddys clutch, we have to unbolt the pressure plate and drop the tranny with the clutch plate on it...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:54 AM

Ive done a million clutchs on evos and i had one one time that the bearing wouldnt release .u can actully get in there with a 1/4 ratchet and 12mm socket and unbolt that pressuse plat . You have to go throught the fork hole to remove bolts.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rodknock02
Ive done a million clutchs on evos and i had one one time that the bearing wouldnt release .u can actully get in there with a 1/4 ratchet and 12mm socket and unbolt that pressuse plat . You have to go throught the fork hole to remove bolts.
Its an allen screw and its stripped. Thats the problem. I have 1 left. Any ideas?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
If your only problem is that your allen head bolt is stripped then I would recommend using gator grip on it.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
If your only problem is that your allen head bolt is stripped then I would recommend using gator grip on it.
The area is way too tight for something like that to get in.

Quick Reply: Damn Throwout bearing