Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time for a new cluch on the IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Time for a new cluch on the IX MR

I need to replace my clutch soon and I'm leaning toward the ACT HD/SS with the Streetlight flywheel. My car is doing about 335 WTQ and I do want a clutch that can hold that power, but has the feel of the stock unit. Any other clutch/flywheel combos worth considering? I'm also interested in keeping the flywheel weight near stock levels and I do not want one of those really light 8 or 9 lbs flywheels.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, um, you could always go with a Exedy Twin Disc HD Clutch.....

That will certainly take the abuse you could throw at it. The clutch pedal feel is good, the only down side is that the clutch likes to chatter a bit but its a phenomonal clutch otherwise.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

What about this clutch I've been looking at it for a bit as my clutch is on the way out to...

http://www.maperformance.com/competi...5106-2300.html

I just have heard too much bad things about act.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SsZERO
I need to replace my clutch soon and I'm leaning toward the ACT HD/SS with the Streetlight flywheel. My car is doing about 335 WTQ and I do want a clutch that can hold that power, but has the feel of the stock unit. Any other clutch/flywheel combos worth considering? I'm also interested in keeping the flywheel weight near stock levels and I do not want one of those really light 8 or 9 lbs flywheels.
do it, do it!!!! go ACT HDSS/Streetlite and don't look back. I'm running that same combo right now. i've got 40k miles on it right now, and I'm going to be hitting about the same power as you are in a month or so. the ACT has been a great clutch so far.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

putting down a little more wheel torque. i dont launch my car. I went with another stock clutch setup+ resurfaced flywheel. been great for 10,000 miles... btw the stocker lasted me 52,000 miles. no matter what clutch it is, everyone has something bad to say. ill do a twin disk for the next clutch since i just bought a civic for a daily =0
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can afford a twin disc, go for it...i bought a act and its holding up good, but i dont know how much more it can handle
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:53 PM

stick with a HD set and street spec disc if you want a stock feel. anything harder than that and a pucked disc you'll regret. streetlite flywheel is good. i have the fidanza lightened flywheel, its like 9-10 lbs and that really makes the acceleration great but deceleration once you let go of the gas makes the car stutter. as far as brand, i suggest centerforce, ACT, or fidanza, BUT brand is pretty much a gamble since you've never gotten anything else. You just have to hope what you get is a match for your car. =D
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exert twin hd kit, ss lines, stm cluth fork stop and u r set. The chatter noise is minmal once broken in and the pedal is not stiff at all. Call me crazy but it has a stock feel.

Last edited by evo unknown; Aug 20, 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
do it, do it!!!! go ACT HDSS/Streetlite and don't look back. I'm running that same combo right now. i've got 40k miles on it right now, and I'm going to be hitting about the same power as you are in a month or so. the ACT has been a great clutch so far.
I have that clutch, and act lockout is common on those clutches.
take your chanses.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

I have the act street flywheel and 6 puck no lock out but for everyday it's not that bad once you get used to it.It is very harsh and grabs a bit to hard but for the money you can't bet it holds 630 ft of tq but it does chatter sometimes..The next clutch im gonna buy is a exedy twin I drove one and there niceeeeeeeeeeeee if I wish you I would save my money and get the twin..Also who much power are you looking to make.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah the ACT lockout issues have me worried. I don't really want to risk it...even if the exedy is like twice as much, if it feels like stock and can handle the power I may go that route. What is the P/N for that exedy twin disk kit that you guys are recommending?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

A lot of people over look the Exedy Twin SD also, I've been running this clutch in my car for quite some time before I took it off the road for a build. Very light pedal pressure with awesome feel and almost no chatter after break in. It will hold more torque than what I was making with my GT3065 kit and being rebuildable and upgradeable means minimal outlay of money later on. Feel free to PM me for awesome pricing on any of the clutches mentioned in this thread.

Josh
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:13 PM

It is about clutch time for me as well.....how many miles are on your car?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmelocik@Spec-Ops
A lot of people over look the Exedy Twin SD also, I've been running this clutch in my car for quite some time before I took it off the road for a build. Very light pedal pressure with awesome feel and almost no chatter after break in. It will hold more torque than what I was making with my GT3065 kit and being rebuildable and upgradeable means minimal outlay of money later on. Feel free to PM me for awesome pricing on any of the clutches mentioned in this thread.

Josh
A lot of people dont want to pay $1700 for a clutch though when a $500 single disc will work perfectly for them.

Ill never go to a twin cause I cant stand the chatter from twins (even the the exedy is actually pretty good in that aspect), dont ever plan to make more than 400-450hp since Im an autocrosser and will always run small turbos, and want something thatll last 30-40k.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:52 PM

Exedy Twin FTW everytime

Quick Reply: Time for a new cluch on the IX MR