Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what the hell is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
did you not check the last vid i posted?
Missed it Why was it burning that much oil?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, I have the same noise but we were very certain it actually was only lifter noise in my car, it was making that noise the day I picked it up from David...and my head gasket just blew 3 days ago. I might take my oil pan off tonight to make sure my rods are ok and that it reeeeally just was a lifter tapping hard. My noise is from the top, not the bottom, so Im sure Im ok.

David does recommend using Penn 20w50 in his motors.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wtf! im sorry to hear bro
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
to answer your questions guys I dont know why it burned so much oil. I took it to the ohio shootout and before I took it there I made sure it was full with oil and in those 850 miles 2-3 qts somehow disappeared. The motor had blowby from day 1, and compression kind of low but David builds his motors loose so this is expected. I suspect maybe I didnt break the motor in properly and that was the cause of all the oil burning maybe I dont know.. it never smoked tho when warmed up. Im as confused as you guys. I even seen my gauge showing 10-15 oil pressure and still went and drove car thats when the knock got REAL bad.. it was driving and still only 20psi of oil pressure, thats when i knew something really was wrong. Its my fault.. I had the chance to avoid this and figured the gauge was reading wrong and ignored it.. soon as i took the car out the noise got BAD.. so I'll chalk this one up as my screw up big time.. poor motor. I guess I'll just pull it and let David do it over again.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

lifters usual don't sound as loud.
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Oh man, I have the same noise but we were very certain it actually was only lifter noise in my car, it was making that noise the day I picked it up from David...and my head gasket just blew 3 days ago. I might take my oil pan off tonight to make sure my rods are ok and that it reeeeally just was a lifter tapping hard. My noise is from the top, not the bottom, so Im sure Im ok.

Old Aug 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Svendiesel

David wouldnt let your car leave if it was making the noise mine did. this was brutal man. It sounded like someone was inside the block trying to chisel there way out of it. Mark this up as being the first 4g63 i killed in almost 10 yrs.. I never thought id kill a motor, but i guess its to late for thinking now.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Aug 21, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
my 2 cents are, lifters are collapsed, or you need to re-bleed them, rod knock ??

2nd,,, you are using way to thick of an oil for that motor unless you are running 350psi or over and 600 ponnies you are running to thick of oil.

let put it this way, 20w50 is like panckake syrup very think and hard for your oil pump to get through all the galleys , rod bearings, lifters,, this ussually causes premature wear when using thick oils on a tight toleranced car.
David specifies that brad penn 20w-50 is to be used in his motors. My motor came with a case of it.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

wow that sucks almost sounded like when i cracked my crank @ journal 4! damn sorry to hear
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a Buschur motor, they are built very loose. David recommends 20w50. This failure was caused by running the engine with only 1-2 qts of oil in it. It was rod knock I will post video soon here. I had to drop the pan to confirm it.
i realized that after your video, and by looking at your sig that you do have a built motor and you are running nice amount of power, so stock motor apps does not apply to you.

and like you said the issue was most definate the engine being ran with low oil,,, and how the heck this it happen, burning oil, leak, ???
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apagan01
i realized that after your video, and by looking at your sig that you do have a built motor and you are running nice amount of power, so stock motor apps does not apply to you.

and like you said the issue was most definate the engine being ran with low oil,,, and how the heck this it happen, burning oil, leak, ???
no leaks.. it happened right after the 850 mile trip back from shootout. dont know man. I could have ran the thing low for 50 miles or more.. pulling it and getting it refreshed and then moving on. hopefully downtime will be very short.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure how Buschur builds their motors, but Break in should be fairly simple. The motors i've built have only needed a few "mini" pulls on a dyno to be broken in, change the oil, put it back on the dyno and let it rip. (I went to school for high performance engine machining) I would say that something else was causing it to burn the oil. Not incorrect break in, unless as soon as you got it started you went and did a full boost run, without any loading on the motors for the rings to seat. Again, i'm not sure what Buschur has for equipment so i'm not sure what their RA's come out to be on their cylinder wall.

Its just my .02 cents something else other than break in was causing the oil burning
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:35 PM
Account Disabled

no leaks.. it happened right after the 850 mile trip back from shootout. dont know man. I could have ran the thing low for 50 miles or more.. pulling it and getting it refreshed and then moving on. hopefully downtime will be very short.

I'm real sorry to hear about your bad luck man I feel for you it plain sucks.The motor shouldn't be burning this much oil its to much even that's it's new and it will burn some to seat the rings..Lately I have been hearing that buschur's work has been slacking this is the 5 motor problem I HEARD within the last 3 months I was gonna get their stage 3block but not now..Davis should fix this for free even that you didn't check it shouldn't have buurned oil like this I know you put alot of money in this build so I'm curious to see how he handles this and what he tells you ..Good luck You can try COUPLE OF THING FIRST..

1.Put new bearings in .
2.Drain the block then flush it well.
3.Check the walls for score damage
4.Check the compression again
5.Put new oil and cross your fingers..

ps even if it's loose the compression shouldn't be low that's bull crap.

Last edited by 4doorstreetbike; Aug 21, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As loose as that rod is I would most likely say the rod journal is not salvagable on that crank and the rod is most likely beat out of round. This motor will need a complete rebuild. tscomp let me know if you want me to get you a crank. I have a used one available for a good price and can get you a new one at quite a discount.

I know Cr rings tend to take a while to seat and burning oil sucks. I have seen some motors with Cr rings take as many as 5K miles before they stopped burning oil then magically seal up and never burn a drop again. Another thing to note is tscompusa had kelford 272 so cranking compression with those most likely would result in lower #'s due to increased overlap. It is unfortunate that this went this way. If BR does anything about this I would be surprised as I would not personally hold them responsible. If they do help out that would be above and beyond.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

what is the purpose of a loose motor?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by localtoys73
what is the purpose of a loose motor?

iT's like asking a girl whats the purpose of a loose *****.That's the worst thing to have you ecu will hate you from all the false knock plus make lot's of noise .

Quick Reply: what the hell is this noise?