Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter

hey y'all

My friend and i are about to do our first oil change on the Evo (actually 2nd, had the oil temp gauge installed by dealer). Did a search on the oil filter subject and it seems that most everyone is using a different brand of filter i.e. Mobil, Bosch, Puralater etc....After walking in my local Autozone and Pepboys, i realized that almost everyone of them is of different size whether it be taller or skinnier. We asked the Autozone guy to check his compter and for the EVO all they had there was the STP which by the way is tiny in comparasion with the OEM. My question is, which one of these brand are closest in size to the OEM without actually buying the OEM? Bosch 3310 seems the closest. Haven't seen the Puralator 14610 because they were out of stock. Mobil 104-108-110 all seems kinda small. I know they'll fit becuase some of you guys state it on previous post but i want the closest fit.

thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found the same thing in an autozone.. no listing other than stp.
kid was too stupid to cross reference it to anything.. just told me they didnt have any.
walked to the back picked up a filter book and walked out with a mobil 1 filter.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

OEM are pretty inexpensive, i have 4 of them just sitting around
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Oil Filter

Originally posted by 19.5PSI
Did a search on the oil filter subject and it seems that most everyone is using a different brand of filter i.e. Mobil, Bosch, Puralater etc...My question is, which one of these brand are closest in size to the OEM without actually buying the OEM?
I wouldn't try to economize on the oil filter for the Evo 8...the quality of the filter is just as important (maybe even more so) than the quality of the oil. A good filter will keep your engine and turbo health for a long time.

I have a family friend who's in the oil filter business and I've learned a few things. Most of the generic filters (Purolator, STP, Quaker State, Fram, etc.) are made by the same manufacturer. If you look inside the product, you'll see a cheap, poor-fitting paper filter that's tied together with string! I'm not kidding, we've opened them up with an angle grinder and it's shocking how cheaply made they are.

The only impressive filters I've seen are those by Mahle and Mobil 1. The Mahle's are particularly impressive: from quickly looking at the Evo 8 filter, my suspicion is that it's a Mahle, but I can't be sure. (BTW, my firend's company doesn't sell either Mahle or Mobil 1...so I'm trying to be objective here!)

Anyway, don't cheap out. You can buy a case of 6 filters from the OEM supplier for about 10-15 bucks, so it's not worth trying to save a few bucks here.

Emre
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nastea
OEM are pretty inexpensive, i have 4 of them just sitting around
Seriously, I think they are like $5.90. I have a few as well.

I've heard the OEM one is the best one to use. Same thing with my eclipse.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

yeah there like 6.20 or 6.50 or something with the plug ring
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Go with the OEM filter. Compared to the cost of 5 qts of synthetic oil, any cost savings by going non-OEM is going to be insignificant.

I just gave my car its 3rd oil change yesterday. First change was at the dealer, the last two I did myself. Make sure you get an aluminum crush washer for the drain plug as well.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the NAPA Gold filter is good, its what I currently use. I was told it is the same filter that K&N uses and is made by WIX.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

What is a aluminum "crush washer"?

Oh, there is just one drain plug for the Evo engine oil right? I know some cars have two drain plugs for double sumpled oil pans.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

its just a washer that goes over the oil drain plug, just a simple washer, when you tighten it down it "crushes".

EDIT: nice stealth edit
Old Nov 23, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

my other friend with the EVO went to a Mobil gas station to get his done and he told me they had to call the Mitsu dealer to find the right size filter.

the other thing is, like what Kayaalp was saying, i notice about the various filters out there is the price. For mobil it was something like $11 to $13 versus $5-$7 for others. so i guess most aren't all the same then. Until i find the right size and what not, my friend and i are heading to the dealer Monday and get us a few.

thanks guys for all your input.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nastea
its just a washer that goes over the oil drain plug, just a simple washer, when you tighten it down it "crushes".

EDIT: nice stealth edit
it's someting like $1.50 per crusher at the dealer
Old Nov 23, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the same STP filter from autozone and decided not to use it after I saw it's size. I went and bought a mitsu filter.

I am now going to make a shot glass out of the autozone one.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:09 PM

i have always been a fan of all fiberglass filters. the one i use is the puralator pure 1.
im not going to get into why fiberglass filters are better than paper, they just are. they trap more particals.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=44922

This may help ya out.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter