Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake heat shield

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake heat shield

I looking to buy/make a heat shield for my intake and was hoping to get some ideas. I really like the intake shield from 9sec9/Indy Evo, but I am not running the stock intake snorkel so I suspect I will have to doing some modify if I go that route. Anyway, if you are running a heat shield, I would love to see it!
PS. I am working with a HKS intake pipe and an Amsoil filter at the moment.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean a shield to keep radiant heat off the intake Pipe (air filter to turbo) or a shield to keep hot engine bay air out of the intake?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Here is how mine is down with a simple piece of aluminium sheet & some bending here & there... ...

Name:  160520101147.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  95.8 KB
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Simple...bending here & there...LOL...I wish I could do that with just simple hand tools

Nice looking engine bay
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
^^ Simple...bending here & there...LOL...I wish I could do that with just simple hand tools

Nice looking engine bay
Thanks for the complements...

The heat shield was indeed done using simple hand tools. A measuring tape, piece of cardboard, hammer, cutter, vice clamp & a drill.

Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lcwjr
Do you mean a shield to keep radiant heat off the intake Pipe (air filter to turbo) or a shield to keep hot engine bay air out of the intake?
I meant a shield to keep hot air away from the intake but I would be interested in doing both for sure.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, really, really great looking engine bay. I think I will attempt something similar soon as far as the heat shield is concerned.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by motoxxx55
Thanks for the complements...

The heat shield was indeed done using simple hand tools. A measuring tape, piece of cardboard, hammer, cutter, vice clamp & a drill.

Really ? The bends look so perfect and clean - like you used a bender. Awesome job for sure, I'd love to try this...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by w evo
Wow, really, really great looking engine bay. I think I will attempt something similar soon as far as the heat shield is concerned.
The HKS intake actually gives you a good amount of "wiggle room" in designing / fabricating your own heat shield or cold air box. Its just a matter of how much time and money you're inclined to put into the project. There's a lot of creative ideas and pics in these forums. Here is what I did, but its not for everyone. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Intake heat shield-photo0010.jpg   Intake heat shield-photo0005.jpg  

Last edited by lcwjr; Aug 25, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The HKS intake actually gives you a good amount of "wiggle room" in designing / fabricating your own heat shield or cold air box. Its just a matter of how much time and money you're inclined to put into the project. There's a lot of creative ideas and pics in these forums. Here is what I did, but its not for everyone. Good luck!

Is the dv not as loud with the intake in that chamber? One thing I dont like about the aftermarket intakes is how loud the dv gets with them so I was thinking about doing something similar.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Very cool design lcwjr, thanks for sharing. Is that plexiglass up top and polished aluminum on the sides? You guys are killing me with how clean your engine bays are!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Is the dv not as loud with the intake in that chamber? One thing I dont like about the aftermarket intakes is how loud the dv gets with them so I was thinking about doing something similar.
I estimate that the air box reduced the noise about 50%, but its still more than stock. I suspect that the silicon intake pipes (Perrin?) are very quiet, but I couldn't find one in yellow, so I went with HKS.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by w evo
Very cool design lcwjr, thanks for sharing. Is that plexiglass up top and polished aluminum on the sides? You guys are killing me with how clean your engine bays are!
The top is 1/4 " Makrolon polycarbonate. If you can avoid it, don't use plexiglass.The Makrolon is used in race car windshields, etc. Its way stronger, won't crack, and is more heat resistant. The sides are .092" aluminum (before polishing .) Thanks for the kind words.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

The top is 1/4 " Makrolon polycarbonate. If you can avoid it, don't use plexiglass.The Makrolon is used in race car windshields, etc. Its way stronger, won't crack, and is more heat resistant. The sides are .092" aluminum (before polishing .) Thanks for the kind words.
Both are very nice, any templates, measurments?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:01 PM

I have a redneck version that's butt ugly, but I bet it works just as good as any other. Consists of chunks of foam wedged throughout, even glued to the hood. MAF IAT never exceeds 5 degrees higher than ambient, even after 1 hour in the city.

Quick Reply: Intake heat shield