Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Twin Disc or Exedy Twin??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had good luck with my exedy twin. Have about 30000 plus miles on it. Main thing is dont do consecutive launches thats what warps them. Im gonna get a kit for a triple rebuild and keep it the driveability is flawless on an exedy. Stoplights and hills i conquer all the time. Only thing i can say it rattles sometimes and do the stm fork stop just for the peace of mind of having it and you should be golden.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HMM, weird cause i remember a lot of the high HP cars on here rock exedy clutches and dont really ever grenade the trannys....

+1 on the fact that tiltons sucks for DD duty though, ill never do that **** again
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Coo. Think I will keep my exedy
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:39 PM
Account Disabled

Exedy that's gonna be my next clutch it's worth the money...I did a act 6 puck and not a big fan but for the money it can't be beat..
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy twin! I love mine and will stand by it. DD'ing it easy and wont give your leg a work out.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Drivability is a thing for me too. I do drive in the city and with the fam so.....yea
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Apparently the exedy's have a tendency to warp and then drag causing damage to the syncros. The cause is bad cooling plus the sprung hubs cause damage to splines after about 2 rebuilds.

The issue is more common with the triples I guess.
The tripples don't have sprung hubs
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silk
The tripples don't have sprung hubs
I was referring to the twins.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think there is any reason to get anything other than a exedy twin. Nothing else is as proven and well liked.

That being said... I hate twin disk noise. I'm on my second stock clutch because nothing else is reliable and quiet enough for me.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

^^So why didnt you get an ACT clutch or something? 2 stock clutches??
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Exedy HD twin is starting to drag and the disks were just replaced 4k miles ago. Adjustment rod is maxed. Not too happy that I may need to drop the trans and spend more $$$ on the car. Not saying the Exedy is a bad clutch. Previous owner abused the crap out of it and has held up pretty well with all the launches.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no experience with competition clutch but my exedy lasted ~30k miles and 200+ launches on my 8, and 45k miles on my IX (taken from the 8, new discs, put in the 9) at about 360 whp.

And now my new build (IX) is getting done -> with an Exedy Twin.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
^^So why didnt you get an ACT clutch or something? 2 stock clutches??
My TOB started to make noise so I took it into the dealer and they pulled the tranny to replace the TOB under warranty. While they were in there I had them put a new clutch disk in the car. The new disk cost $200 but the install was free!

Our dealer is very mod friendly and they asked if I wanted to put something else in but I've been very happy with the stock clutch so I declined. I've run 11's with 1.6
short times and had no issues with slipping.

If I ever decided to go big I'll run a twin disk but until then the stocker is plenty good for 350whp.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
My TOB started to make noise so I took it into the dealer and they pulled the tranny to replace the TOB under warranty. While they were in there I had them put a new clutch disk in the car. The new disk cost $200 but the install was free!

Our dealer is very mod friendly and they asked if I wanted to put something else in but I've been very happy with the stock clutch so I declined. I've run 11's with 1.6
short times and had no issues with slipping.

If I ever decided to go big I'll run a twin disk but until then the stocker is plenty good for 350whp.
how did you get them to replace it when my dealer told me that they all make noise and it's normal for them to make noise?

mine was making noise, i decide to the change the clutch as well, hold and betold, it still makes noise with a new OEM TOB.

on topic, thinking about changing the clutch again so I can do a trans rebuild while it's down. there's got to be something cheaper than the exedy twin but just as good..
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

When I first got my car it didn't make any noises. Therefore when I took it in I said it was noise free for 20k miles and something failed resulting in noise. I can tell you that the TOB noise was gone after the visit and replacement.

As for cheaper than a twin and just as good.... I don't think so. I see SD's sell for $1000 on ebay all the time so that's probably what I'm gonna go with when the time comes - probably years down the road.

Quick Reply: Competition Twin Disc or Exedy Twin??