Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Twin Disc or Exedy Twin??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition Twin Disc or Exedy Twin??

Alright I would like a wide view on these 2 clutches. Anyone have experiences with them? (I know someone does) Give me you views on them both and which you would rather have in your car. My car is not daily driven but it wont be when I get my car back so I can break in the motor. After that, it won't be daily driven anymore. If you needed to know I will be running a 2.3 w/ FP Black.

Exedy Twin w/ STM Fork Stop
Competition Twin disc Clutch

-Drivability
-Pros
-Cons
-Overall

Thanks Everyone
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Race Only? Street Driving?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy twin HD kit with stainless steel clutch lines and an STM clutch fork stop is the way to go. I personally really like the exedy twin in my car which is about 300ft/lb torque. Daily drivability is great and the performance is matched. There is no secret why so many top shops, including STM and Buschur, back these clutches by using them in their highly modified shop cars.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Have they caused damage to tranny
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the exedy twin is a great clutch for a car that gets driven alot on the street and makes mild amounts of power...if you start pushing that black hard and launch the car its not gonna like it...

i have a few buddies using the comp twin with great results....if i recall, some users have complained about poor driveability but the one i drove was wayyyyyyyyy better than the tilton twin i was running in my car...they seem to handle power well too...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

So some have said drivability in comp sucks but it was better than your tilton twin?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No question, the exedy wins hands down. Call or PM me for a sick deal.

-Em
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Exedy right now waiting to get put in after my build is done but came across some issues with Exedy that I wanted to address
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Having run the Exedy Twin SD to about the max of what it can hold recently and still driving it cross country has re-affirmed my belief that the Exedy SD and HD are some of the best clutches you can buy. One of our shop cars was running the Exedy Twin HD with the FP Black on a 2.0 at 32-33 psi of boost and drag racing pretty regularly and held up fine for over 20k miles driving to work during the week. If you feel that the Twin HD isn't enough for you then let me know and I can make you a great deal on an Exedy Triple.

Josh
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

rebuild kit from twin to tripple
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Here is specific issue that he is trying to get some opinion on. I will not disclose who it is but its not just another guy but someone with a ton of experience with both transmissions and clutches.

Here are clutches that ruin trannies made by ANYONE, and not just us:

All Exedy twin and triple disk units. The triples will ruin a trans right out of the box. The twin takes some time to warp enough to drag and ruin the trans when you are not paying attention to what is going on. Exedy twins were all the rage back a couple of years ago, but they suck and are the main killer for trans synchros.
Thanks for helping.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Bingo and dont ask who said it unless they decide to unveil their own name
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Exedy hands down but it seems your just going for more power down the road have you thought about the exedy triple?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:02 PM

Here are clutches that ruin trannies made by ANYONE, and not just us:

All Exedy twin and triple disk units. The triples will ruin a trans right out of the box. The twin takes some time to warp enough to drag and ruin the trans when you are not paying attention to what is going on. Exedy twins were all the rage back a couple of years ago, but they suck and are the main killer for trans synchros.

Sooooo...... If this is true, what causes this? Is it the heat, Mal-adjustment, the shock from engagement? Some thing has to cause the aforementioned damage if it is indeed widespread.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by t1mike
Sooooo...... If this is true, what causes this? Is it the heat, Mal-adjustment, the shock from engagement? Some thing has to cause the aforementioned damage if it is indeed widespread.
Apparently the exedy's have a tendency to warp and then drag causing damage to the syncros. The cause is bad cooling plus the sprung hubs cause damage to splines after about 2 rebuilds.

The issue is more common with the triples I guess.

Quick Reply: Competition Twin Disc or Exedy Twin??