Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full titanium exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full titanium exhaust?

Are there any full titanium exhausts out there already, i.e. including the down pipe?

I'm also looking at running with a 3" Random cat, anything I should be aware of as to what exhausts will or will not fit this set-up?

Tx,
Andi
Old Nov 24, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

JIC offers a turbo-back ti exhaust. Cheapest I have found it is at Boost Solutions (http://www.boostsolutionsinc.net/evoexhaust.htm).
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:40 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monster, Apexi and Mine's have full systems. I think JIC does as well. We carry all that. Apexi looks like the best deal to me.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

jic's dp is SS.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

FYI Titanium is not recomended for DP applications with sustained temps over 1600 high pressure.
(taken from Burns Stainess)

Based on its price and availability, it is hard to believe that titanium is the ninth most abundant element in the earth's crust and comprises 0.5% of the earth's crust. In fact, titanium is more plentiful than copper, zinc or lead. Though the supply of raw ore is nearly limitless, it is extremely difficult and expensive to produce. Titanium is a unique high-strength alloy that has excellent corrosion resistance, is extremely lightweight and has excellent high-temperature properties.
Titanium has been of strategic importance in the aerospace industry having been used in aircraft engines, airframes, missiles and spacecraft. It has also been used extensively in industrial applications where strength and corrosion resistance is of utmost importance including petrochemical refining, nuclear waste storage, power generation and pollution control

Since becoming commercially available in the 1950's, worldwide production of this exotic, "space age" metal has grown to over 50 million pounds annually, and is available for many consumer products including bicycles, computer cases and motorcycle exhausts. It is expected that as processing technologies evolve and as production capacity expands, titanium will become more economical to use.

In addition to commercially pure (CP) titanium, there exist numerous titanium alloys that are available to industry. Titanium alloys are generally categorized as alpha, alpha-beta and beta alloys. The alpha alloys exhibit good weldability and have excellent strength characteristics and corrosion resistance due to presence of aluminum. 3Al-2.5V is an alpha-type titanium alloy used for consumer products, sports equipment and aircraft ducting. Alpha-beta alloys contain beta-stabilizing alloying elements that result in heat treatable alloys, significantly increasing their strength. 6Al-4V is an alpha-beta alloy that has become the "workhorse" alloy in aerospace applications. This alloy offers high-strength, good weldability and fabricability. It is used for airframe components, ballistic armor, sports equipment and space vehicles. Beta alloys can be heat-treated to very high strength levels due to the high percentage of beta-stabilizing alloying elements. These alloys are used for components such as aircraft landing gear and petrochemical production components.

Burns Stainless uses Commercially Pure, Grade-2 (CP-2) titanium for tubing bends. With a room temperature elongation of 20% at room temperature, CP-2 tubing can be bent on a mandrel bender. CP-2 also exhibits excellent weldability and can be used for fabrication of exhaust headers in limited applications. Burns Stainless recommends CP-2 titanium for exhaust headers in applications where weight is a primary concern and where significant air-cooling is available such as for motorcycle headers. It is also excellent for under-car exhausts. Burns Stainless does not recommend using CP-2 titanium for turbocharger headers or where high exhaust temperatures are present. 321 stainless steel and Inconel are better choices for these applications. The tubing specification is ASTM B338-99 - Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Titanium and Titanium Alloy Tubes, for Condensers and Heat Exchangers.

CP and most titanium alloys can be welded using a variety of welding processes. Burns Stainless recommends that titanium be welded using gas tungsten-arc (GTAW), also known as TIG welding. Although still prevalent today, it is not necessary to use an inert chamber or glove box when welding titanium. By following the welding procedures outlined in the header construction tips article, successful welds with titanium are possible. As previously mentioned, proper gas shielding is essential for welding titanium. It is important that the inert shielding atmosphere is maintained until the metal temperature cools below 800F this can be accomplished with a good post-purge. An argon back-purge is also essential to ensure a proper weld with titanium. Solar Flux is not recommended for welding titanium.

Weld color can be a good indication of weld quality. Proper gas shielding is evidenced by bright silver welds. Dark blue or white powdery oxide on the weld is an indication of an improper gas purge and a poor weld. The importance of surface cleanliness and the correct use of shielding gas (argon is recommended) cannot be overstated. Since molten titanium reacts readily with oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen, exposure to these compounds during welding can adversely affect weld properties and must be minimized. Titanium cannot be welded to most other metals due to the formation of embrittling compounds that can lead to cracking.

it might be best to use a SS DP then a Ti catback IMHO

Last edited by tom@kartboy; Nov 24, 2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by tom@kartboy
FYI Titanium is not recomended for DP applications with sustained temps over 1600 high pressure.
Based on its price and availability, it is hard to believe that titanium is the ninth most abundant element in the earth's crust and comprises 0.5% of the earth's crust.
Funny you should mention this, if you're interested, I'm still waiting for that promised 'cheap' titanium...
http://www.canadianminingnews.com/ti...revolution.htm

Anyway, back on topic - do you think that sustained temperatures of 1600F are likely for a down pipe in an Evo application? How about ceramic coating the inside, would that help the titanium? (I know that for example in piston applications, certain ceramic coatings can essentially 'hold together' aluminum to increase its heat resistance to a certain degree)

Originally posted by BPAuto
Monster, Apexi and Mine's have full systems. I think JIC does as well. We carry all that. Apexi looks like the best deal to me.
That is interesting, do you know if these systems will fit the US spec bumper, and have the O2 bungs? They don't taper down to the stock cat size, do they? If you please could PM me prices for the titanium down pipe section or full turbo-backs. I'm also interested in a O2 housing eliminator section.

Thanks,
Andi
Old Nov 25, 2003, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

nice write up!!!

HKS offers full Ti for the vii not viii
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS Kansai does
Old Nov 25, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by value
HKS Kansai does
Do you have any info on this exhaust? Price? Availability? Performance? Noise level?
Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

TANABE

TANABE Ultra-Medallion

It's not fully ti (canister & tip only), but it is a very good exhaust and sounds excellent!! Not much louder than stock, until you stick your foot in it.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by value
HKS Kansai does
If they really make one for the US Evo VIII then thats the exhaust i'm gonna get.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS Kansai Full Titanium Exhaust. It is titanium from the cat up to the tip. You just have to buy a de-cat pipe in titanium (available in HKS Kansai or A'pexi brands) to make it "full" titanium. I don't think there's a titanium made DP. So that's the most you can do for a full titanium exhaust set up.

I don't think it would make any difference if you get a titanium DP (if ever it will be available). Weight difference will be minimal. Power difference in top-end will probably be noticed if you increase the diameter to 3"
Old Nov 26, 2003, 05:30 AM
Account Disabled

Kansai does not offer anything for US Spec VIII's. Some stuff happens to fit without mods, other things do not. As with jsut about every JDm exhaust, this one finihses about an inch too short as well due to the different rear bumers between a JDM and US Spec Evo VIII.

Noone has a Ti downpipe AFAIK.....loads of firms offer Ti cat backs.