Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Advise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Advise

Hello folks, I will try to keep this post brief. I have been contiplating weather or not to ditch my M3 Cosworth Cams and go back to my stock Evo 9 Cams. Reason is my goal of going with a larger stock frame turbo has come to a halt due to financial reasons that may continue for a while (state employee, pay cuts).

I didn't mind the rough idle, and the slower off the line acceleration knowing that down the road I would be better off. Now, I am looking at maybe just keeping the car with a OEM turbo.

I am just wondering tuners, engine builders, would keeping my M3's in on a Stock Evo net me the best drivabilty and usable power, or should I just go back to stock? I do have most bolt on supporting mods, but I have even considered putting my stock exhaust back on including the OEM Cat. The Po Po lately has been cracking down on loud exhausts and removal of OEM emissions equip. Yeah California Sucks to have a sports car.

Mods Currently:
Buschur Racing 3" Turbo Back with Hi Flow Cat
Invidia O2 housing
AEM Intake
GM 3 Port
Cosworth M3 Cams
255 Fuel Pump
750 RC Injectors
ARP Head Studs
ETS 3" I/C
Buschur LICP and UICP with Mini Bat
Brian Crower Valve Springs/Retainers
ECU Tuned on 91
last dyno'd 310whp/311wtq on Mustang Dyno

Considering removing:
Cosworth M3 Cams
Hi Flow Cat and exhaust, to OEM but Retain Buschur Downpipe
UICP and Mini Bat to OEM

I know I will lose top end power, but feel I may gain low end torque in the process, whcih for daily driving may end up being better. Will have my OEM quiet exhaust as well. No Cop Problems. Any Ideas? Or just Leave it alone and hope I don't get pulled over anymore? And are keeping the M3's a good idea on a OEM turbo? I have been running it like this for a while saving up for the FP RED but it isnt going to happen any time soon. I am thinking the OEM cams would suit the OEM turbo better overall, but I need advice on this move before I do anything...Thanks..

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Aug 28, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
Account Disabled

Keep them as far as the exhaust goes you can go with the rre stealth type nice and quit till wot and it 3 inch.,.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep the cams, stock turbo, DP, and the HiFloCat. Get rid of the aftermarket UICP. Do the quieter exhaust as suggested above. Do all of the above, plus a more stealth looking intake to keep the CHP happy.

Then to make yourself happy...get larger injectors and an E-85 tune w/ switchable maps.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 28, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure if these were the best cams suited for the 16G turbo. Power under the curve kinda is nill, but top end is good, Again, plan was to run a Red on my set up, just $$$ is WAY too tight right now.

I am not really interested in buying new bits. The RRE Stealth Exhaust is quieter I am sure, but weill run me $$$$ that I dont have. I may just run it like this and see. The cops have not ticketed me YET. Just giving me warnings on removal of the OEM CAT and they "feel" that my car will not pass the db test. That is debatable. The officer actually commented on my UICP stating," wow that looks very nice and clean". He asked about why I have such a small battery, haha.

Anyway, its just I don't want to push my luck. Cops can be cool, and can be jerks like anyone else. I just don't want to end up with one of the jerks. haha.

I was wondering if any Engine Builders here would know how much compression I am losing with the M3's that I have. I know the cam profile on the M3's is larger than on the Kelford 280's. I am sure I am not getting the greatest compression with such a high lift cam. Any thoughts on that?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Editted.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 29, 2010 at 07:12 PM.