Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is IT WORTH PORTING THE STOCK MANIFOLD AND THROTTLE BODY???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
My stupid throttle body shaft seal is leaking real bad My friend keeps telling me that I'm losing power from it but I don't think it's much but I did notice my throttle response is not as good as it use to..I wonder How much power you can gain from fixing those seals.
I'm not sure about power loss, but I picked up about 2-300rpm spool on the dyno from correcting my throttle body leak...stock turbo. the good thing is, if u go with a core exchange for the TB u will get a 65mm with replaced 'high pressure' seals. I got mine from Works cus i didnt want to go thru the trouble of removing my IM so I just left it at stock diameter. I can say w/o a doubt u will pick up spool by fixing it.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PPI FTW!!! I made over 600hp on a standard gt35r, with a ppi ported intake manifold and throttle body with a Stock head.
Originally Posted by RockmanX
lets not go there with who has the best porting as thats a loaded question. Does not matter I have a ppi Extreme ported intake manifold that I coated for effect here is a pic

Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know if the flow differences get worse with these port jobs? The stock manifold has a pretty good balance of flow between cylinders, and I've seen tests where a port job (though it flowed more air) increased the flow more to the 3rd and 4th cylinder, and a little to the 2nd, but didn't do much for the 1st.

This can be an issue with higher power builds.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
I'm not sure about power loss, but I picked up about 2-300rpm spool on the dyno from correcting my throttle body leak...stock turbo. the good thing is, if u go with a core exchange for the TB u will get a 65mm with replaced 'high pressure' seals. I got mine from Works cus i didnt want to go thru the trouble of removing my IM so I just left it at stock diameter. I can say w/o a doubt u will pick up spool by fixing it.

At the power level I'm at now I could care less for 5 whp for the shaft seal but if I'm gonna gain spool up that's what I'm taking about .I made my mind up I'm gonna go either with a works Stage 2 or a milspec body ported with high pressure seals and wait out for the manifold and do a magnus v5 with my motor build all at one shot ..If I could get my turbo to spool 2-300rpms faster that would be awesome!!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
....I have a ppi Extreme ported intake manifold that I coated for effect....
That is a nice looking IM, Rockster. I am jealous. JK
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intake manifold P&P will produce significant gains on any Evolution, stock turbo or otherwise. Our Rev3 was part of two different stock ECU record breakers (762whp and 814whp) and yielded up to 500rpm faster spool up. To the best of my knowledge our Rev3 service and one of the Wilson manifolds are the only ones to have cut open the plenum which provides access to every square inch of the plenum and runners for the absolute best performance from shaping, porting, and polishing. If you're looking for increased top end and improved spool characteristics there is no better option in my opinion. I will concede, however, that at some point the larger plenum of a manifold like the Magnus V5 or AMS will yield better top end performance, but low and mid range will most certainly suffer.

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Anyone know if the flow differences get worse with these port jobs? The stock manifold has a pretty good balance of flow between cylinders, and I've seen tests where a port job (though it flowed more air) increased the flow more to the 3rd and 4th cylinder, and a little to the 2nd, but didn't do much for the 1st.

This can be an issue with higher power builds.
In our testing flow was improved throughout (I will have to find the numbers tomorrow if you're interested), and the imbalance between the cylinders was significantly reduced in comparison to stock

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Aug 30, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Just go ahead and order the MAP intake maifold/ They do a wonderful job porting and you can get it coated as an option.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Intake manifold P&P will produce significant gains on any Evolution, stock turbo or otherwise. Our Rev3 was part of two different stock ECU record breakers (762whp and 814whp) and yielded up to 500rpm faster spool up. To the best of my knowledge our Rev3 service and one of the Wilson manifolds are the only ones to have cut open the plenum which provides access to every square inch of the plenum and runners for the absolute best performance from shaping, porting, and polishing. If you're looking for increased top end and improved spool characteristics there is no better option in my opinion. I will concede, however, that at some point the larger plenum of a manifold like the Magnus V5 or AMS will yield better top end performance, but low and mid range will most certainly suffer.

In our testing flow was improved throughout (I will have to find the numbers tomorrow if you're interested), and the imbalance between the cylinders was significantly reduced in comparison to stock
I would be interested in seeing the flow chart and I definitely have an idea of which to get now rev3 anyone
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I imagine that throttle leakage will make your tune off
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
I imagine that throttle leakage will make your tune off
The car was tuned with the leak .__when fixing it only .o1 afrs will change and the boost willl go up 3 psi extra.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

4door I'd consider the V5 man. If you have the cash go with the Magnus, I bet you'd se a lot more than 20whp on your setup. I'll throw my car on the dyno after mine shows up.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Interesting. Is this achieved with a standard port, or would someone have to opt for the rev3?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
4door I'd consider the V5 man. If you have the cash go with the Magnus, I bet you'd se a lot more than 20whp on your setup. I'll throw my car on the dyno after mine shows up.
Nice I wanna see your results..

Interesting. Is this achieved with a standard port, or would someone have to opt for the rev3?

For that price It rather have a real manifold not a ported I wanna see someone test the rev 3 against the v5!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

That was with the Rev3 sir, the additional shaping we perform by cutting open the plenum allows us to achieve this
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
For that price It rather have a real manifold not a ported I wanna see someone test the rev 3 against the v5!!!!!!!!
Can you define a "real" manifold? lol The answer is simple, if you are looking for the absolute most peak horsepower, go with a larger plenum like the Magnus v5. If you're looking to increase performance across the board and improve spool characteristics there is no better option than a ported stock manifold, and in my opinion no better option that our Rev3

Quick Reply: Is IT WORTH PORTING THE STOCK MANIFOLD AND THROTTLE BODY???