Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is IT WORTH PORTING THE STOCK MANIFOLD AND THROTTLE BODY???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highbredcloud
Chris I read everything on your website but thanks for the link anyways...from what I gather the rev 2 manifold seems to give the best gains for the buck since it costs $250. And gives 27 hp and 36 tq vs $650 for the rev 3 which gives 35 hp and 47 tq but costs $400 more...not sure if it's cost effective to gain the extra 8 hp and 9 tq for the money...on a stock turbo...I would like to know the aggressive tune on the stock 9 since there could be many factors per the gains...was this a track tune or street tune? Boost level Psi? Fuel used? Any headwork? Etc...many shops here who have tested stock ported intake manifolds don't see more than 7hp gain peak on a mustang dyno...not saying that it's your manifold they tested keep that in mind please...if you truly let me know in time the results I will get with a ported intake manifold I can have that shipped along with the tb with the other stuff I am sending you guys tomorrow...let me know feel free to pm if needed...
The only thing you need to keep in mind in reality is that NOBODY not even jesus can quote HP gains on an intake manifold as EVERY SINGLE part on that car has an effect on if an intake manifold will make 10 or 40hp.. Just keep this in mind.. Not saying the Intake your interested in wont make power just dont get caught up in the #'s is all..

Mike
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
The only thing you need to keep in mind in reality is that NOBODY not even jesus can quote HP gains on an intake manifold as EVERY SINGLE part on that car has an effect on if an intake manifold will make 10 or 40hp.. Just keep this in mind.. Not saying the Intake your interested in wont make power just dont get caught up in the #'s is all..

Mike
I know...thanks for looking out...I don't doubt the performance gains of stock ported parts but so far in this thread the advertised gains were bothe on bigger than stock turbos on cars making over 500 hp...so there is still much that is not answered...anyone here have a before and after data of any stock ported intake manifolds vs stock as the only change made? Other venders such as buster claims 15 hp gains with intake manifold and tb over stock...again the two port jobs seem different but than again maybe there isn't much to gain past some point...not sure...someone has to have experience...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
Not for nothing but don;t try to compare a stock manifold to a di or a v5 ..If im paying that price im gonna put a stacked manifold on my car not a ported stocker.
It sounds like you have very little faith in Mitsubishi's ability to build an intake manifold sir I agree, a larger plenum will result in improved top end performance assuming the supporting mods are in place, but there will be a trade off which is low and mid-range performance. We feel that our Rev3 service is the best option for those that want to have their cake and eat it too

Chris I read everything on your website but thanks for the link anyways...from what I gather the rev 2 manifold seems to give the best gains for the buck since it costs $250. And gives 27 hp and 36 tq vs $650 for the rev 3 which gives 35 hp and 47 tq but costs $400 more...not sure if it's cost effective to gain the extra 8 hp and 9 tq for the money...on a stock turbo...I would like to know the aggressive tune on the stock 9 since there could be many factors per the gains...was this a track tune or street tune? Boost level Psi? Fuel used? Any headwork? Etc...many shops here who have tested stock ported intake manifolds don't see more than 7hp gain peak on a mustang dyno...not saying that it's your manifold they tested keep that in mind please...if you truly let me know in time the results I will get with a ported intake manifold I can have that shipped along with the tb with the other stuff I am sending you guys tomorrow...let me know feel free to pm if needed...
Your questions are pretty tough to answer sir, and I'll be honest there just hasn't been enough testing of these manifolds on the stock turbo. As you outlined in our sole test their wasn't a huge difference between the Rev2 and Rev3 making it hard to justify the price difference with a stock turbocharger. I do feel, however, that those gains will increase exponentially as the size of the turbocharger increases, and we have had some pretty amazing hp gains with the Rev3 in those scenarios. In regards to testing in your area, I would love to see how our Rev2 manifold stacks up We spend a lot more time porting and polishing everything within the line of sight which is why our pricing is a bit higher, I would love to see some numbers verify that our extra effort is not in vein.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Chris...thanks for a quick reply...your company comes highly recommended by performance shops here...I like what I see and even though your prices are higher than your competition hopefully they perform and give an edge in performance. But at the same time one is skeptical of such gains that are so much above the competition...honestly I know that with a bigger turbo the gains will be noticeable much more than on the stocker...and believe me once I find a turbo for my needs I will for sure go with a ported intake and tb combo...too many turbos awaiting testing...cbrd bbk b...the new hks...I am really interested in the area under the curve rather than peak hp gains over the stock...it would help if your company can provide results...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I know...thanks for looking out...I don't doubt the performance gains of stock ported parts but so far in this thread the advertised gains were bothe on bigger than stock turbos on cars making over 500 hp...so there is still much that is not answered...anyone here have a before and after data of any stock ported intake manifolds vs stock as the only change made? Other venders such as buster claims 15 hp gains with intake manifold and tb over stock...again the two port jobs seem different but than again maybe there isn't much to gain past some point...not sure...someone has to have experience...
We have done MANY MANY Stock Turbo setups with Buschur IM and TB and usual gains on them if setup with good supporting mods are 15-20whp.. On E85 they pick up big which of course is because you can crank the boost..
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I run a Buschur Racing OEM ported intake manifold / exhaust manifold / and 65mm throttle body. Good stuff and it simply works......
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what a Buschur Ported Manifold for 150.00 has proven to do.. You looking to go faster than this??

I was taken about the map v 3 way over priced with no gains ..
World's Quickest / Fastest Stock Ecu - 8.99@163mph
World's Quickest / Fastest Drag Radial Evo 8/9- 9.05@160mph
World's Quickest / Fastest Mivec Evo - 8.99@163mph
World's Quickest Stock Frame FP Black - 9.33@146mph
I was talking about the rev 3 heard it makes not that much gains compared to the buschur.And the v5 is in it's own class.

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
It sounds like you have very little faith in Mitsubishi's ability to build an intake manifold sir I agree, a larger plenum will result in improved top end performance assuming the supporting mods are in place, but there will be a trade off which is low and mid-range performance. We feel that our Rev3 service is the best option for those that want to have their cake and eat it too

Your questions are pretty tough to answer sir, and I'll be honest there just hasn't been enough testing of these manifolds on the stock turbo. As you outlined in our sole test their wasn't a huge difference between the Rev2 and Rev3 making it hard to justify the price difference with a stock turbocharger. I do feel, however, that those gains will increase exponentially as the size of the turbocharger increases, and we have had some pretty amazing hp gains with the Rev3 in those scenarios. In regards to testing in your area, I would love to see how our Rev2 manifold stacks up We spend a lot more time porting and polishing everything within the line of sight which is why our pricing is a bit higher, I would love to see some numbers verify that our extra effort is not in vein.
Lets test on my car and see the gains that you guys claim my car can be the test subject would be perfect I have A big turbo and supporting mods..

[quote=AWD Motorsports;8638408]We have done MANY MANY Stock Turbo setups with Buschur IM and TB and usual gains on them if setup with good supporting mods are 15-20whp.. On E85 they pick up big which of course is because you can crank the boost..[/quote

For the money the buschur can't be beat 20 whp for 150 to the porting of the throttle body great deal.

Last edited by 4doorstreetbike; Sep 3, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
I was talking about the rev 3 heard it makes not that much gains compared to the buschur.And the v5 is in it's own class.
Did you click on any of the links in the quote below?

Note: In an effort to avoid any confrontation I would like to note that obviously the BR intake manifold has been a part of some very fast high hp combinations. We simply feel that there is a bit more performance to be had with some additional time.

Intake manifold P&P will produce significant gains on any Evolution, stock turbo or otherwise. Our Rev3 was part of two different stock ECU record breakers (762whp and 814whp) and yielded up to 500rpm faster spool up. To the best of my knowledge our Rev3 service and one of the Wilson manifolds are the only ones to have cut open the plenum which provides access to every square inch of the plenum and runners for the absolute best performance from shaping, porting, and polishing. If you're looking for increased top end and improved spool characteristics there is no better option in my opinion. I will concede, however, that at some point the larger plenum of a manifold like the Magnus V5 or AMS will yield better top end performance, but low and mid range will most certainly suffer.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

Bad example cause this guy can't even strap down his car on the dyno the right proper way so those numbers are inflated with his drift dyno.Do you have your rev 3 compared to a buschur or a v5???I know someone who had a rev 3 and wasn't to pleased from the gains.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Alright to settle this once and for all lets have a sale on intake/tb porting....ok...GO!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
Account Disabled

I told chris lets test mule my car between the buschur,v5,and rev 3 and see how it sums up!!Dare to challange this test chris??
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Where will the testing be done? Will I get the manifold back?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

IM testing FML.. This topic has been beaten to death as bad as which oil to use.. LOL
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
IM testing FML.. This topic has been beaten to death as bad as which oil to use.. LOL
Word. We all have opinions on what we like and why we like it.

The list goes (least in my memory)-

Intake manifold
Exhaust manifold/Header
Hotside design (not gonna talk about this)
Oil
BOV (lol)
etc.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Where will the testing be done? Will I get the manifold back?
Testing will be done at forced fed.as far as the manifold goes send me a pm so we can talk about that..

Quick Reply: Is IT WORTH PORTING THE STOCK MANIFOLD AND THROTTLE BODY???