Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brenner
kinda silly, and personally, the 8 location seems better. you dont have to jack the car up, you dont have to drain the oil. nothing comes out when you swap the sensor.

Slightly offtopic, but...

I didn't even realize you could get to it from above. When I replace the connector on mine, I got to it from below.

Think about that for a moment...

Transmission, transfer case, subframe. In my case, at least I already had those things out.

d
Old Sep 5, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh ya so easy. kinda like a blind reach-around.

pun intended :P
Old Apr 15, 2018, 02:06 PM

referring to this picture...

while degreasing the area i hit it and the copper tab broke. I cut a slit in it and sandwiched it with the screw which is working but...

what is the best method to release from the black plug? Not sure if its just really oiled but I tried pressing on the plastic nub on the back of the plug and pulling out without luck.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
This is probably my biggest time consumer when working on cars - getting the electrical connectors apart in one piece. Each one is a puzzle and I'm not good at puzzles. The all time cutie is the connector on my Evo 8 speed sensor, the FSM shows removal but since it has a metal bale, it can't be removed without pulling the sensor first.

I understand the makers want the connectors all different to exclude wiring screw ups but why can't the way they release all be the same? I think there should be an industry standard. Then some smart tool maker could make a special tool that works on everything.

Pet gripe, thanks for reading the rant.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:52 AM

Anyone else know how exactly it disconnects from the black connector?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
To get it right.:

Evo 4,5,6,7 and 8 engines as well as the 7 and 9 GTA engines have the Oilpressure switch in the Back of the Block, right above the Transfer Case and below the Intake Manifold, close to the transmission...

Since the Evo 9 has the MIVEC Oil supply line attached in that spot, they changed the Pressure switch location to the back side of the Oil Filter Housing, in front and below the right side Drive Shaft

The black Plastic connector housing has an small tap ( app 5 by 1mm square ) on one of the long flat sides. This has to be pressed slightly to release the internal "hook" .
The contact stays inside the black housing...and doesnt come out... ( wiggle it slightly back and forth to get the hook out of the brass tap hole ...)

you can change the pressure switch without draining the oil. it will dripping about one cup...app. with cold engine.

Last edited by german_evoVII; Apr 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil switch connector

sorry. we agree to disagree.

this is the sender i was talking about, and replaced.

Attachment 291338

please refer to this thread for the same problem the OP is posting about. i had the same issue, replaced the idiot light switch and it is fixed.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-problem.html

Bren

another thread to back this up https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-location.html

Does anyone know where i can get one of these oil switch connectors? Mine broke off the lead
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
It's just a female spade