Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ball Bearing FP Black - who want's one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BenJ
This has been discussed many times before but here is the only info that you need:

Owen Developments (UK) Limited
28 Kingston Business Park
Kingston Bagpuize
Oxford
OX13 5AS
United Kingdom

Phone: (+44) 01865 821062

technical@owendevelopments.co.uk

They are the creaters of the FQ400 turbo and have been doing DBB conversions on journal bearing turbos for some time. They also already have established pricing for the DBB conversion on stock framed FP turbos. IIRC, it is around $1200US for the conversion and shipping.

Benefits of this are not only the quicker spool of about 2-300rpm, but also the ability to use the stock oil feed off of the head and the increased reliability of the dbb at higher boost levels.
Everyone knows about Owen Developements, I posted info about them awhile back on socalevo and a few other people have also, Mike turbo inc, can also do bb conversions, and they're are located in Florida.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Not trying to start any hard feelings, but obviously they don't if people are still asking the question.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not simply ask FP about it? I'm sure they can do it. They probably don't because the demand isn't high enough at the cost. And seeing that the 3582 already comes in a DBB CHRA as mentioned, they probably decided against it.

But, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it. Everything has a price.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
^Not trying to start any hard feelings, but obviously they don't if people are still asking the question.
I have already posted in this thread, on how I contacted them and how they are looking into it, so that they can provide price on how much it will cost. FP has already said that they are not gonna do the BB conversions, but with the results and attention with the new HKS turbo they might just do it.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

F'n waste of money IMO. Spend your money on a T3 framed turbo if you want a BB turbo. The Black is great the way it was designed.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

It might be a waste of money, but probably not to Evo owners in California. You get pulled over with a T3 setup it's by by turbo kit and hello to the state smog referee. A instant back to stock scenario.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

2000+1200 for the upgrade wow that is alot and you are killing what the whole point of the stock frame turbo designed for power with not the huge price tag
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd love to be able to buy a BB FP Red... however its going to cost me nearly 3k to do so. I might as well do a Twin scroll HTA3582... with twin TiAL wastegates.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ And you were the one that told me I should BB my Black! hahaha

Mikey
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:59 AM

Every little bit of edge helps and I am willing to pay for that edge. I don't really care about voiding the warranty on my turbo (Has anyone ever tried to get warranty work on a race part? It may be difficult...I don't know).

I like what I am hearing about the guy in Florida who does the BB conversion. Let's see if we can get some pricing. Indeed, a ceramic BB or dual BB setup could solve some issues potentially as well as improve an already great turbo. I think that FP probably doesn't offer it because of the cost. The turbo is already 2K as it is. However, the turbo is the biggest power part on the car so it's an area I don't like to skimp on. I have had BB turbos in the past and was very pleased with the response.

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
What kind or pricing would you be comfortable with? Additionally, if someone was able to make this happen the FP warranty would most certainly be voided, thoughts on that aspect of it?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbooutlaw1976
Every little bit of edge helps and I am willing to pay for that edge. I don't really care about voiding the warranty on my turbo (Has anyone ever tried to get warranty work on a race part? It may be difficult...I don't know).

I like what I am hearing about the guy in Florida who does the BB conversion. Let's see if we can get some pricing. Indeed, a ceramic BB or dual BB setup could solve some issues potentially as well as improve an already great turbo. I think that FP probably doesn't offer it because of the cost. The turbo is already 2K as it is. However, the turbo is the biggest power part on the car so it's an area I don't like to skimp on. I have had BB turbos in the past and was very pleased with the response.
I just had my HTA Green warrantied by FP and everything went smoothly. I would also be interested in the Ball Bearing upgrade. I was just pushing the Green too far past its efficiency range and it couldn't take it anymore. I managed to squeeze ~550 torque and over 500hp out of that little thing, but eventually it crapped out on me. The nut from the turbine spindle unthreaded and got ingested through the blades. Nasty. I had a month left on my warranty and I called FP. They said send the turbo assembly back and the HP oil feed filter. Once they saw it they said it was totally destroyed, and then offered to upgrade me to the 84mm Red for free. Now that is customer service. I opted to go for it, but that was just for reliability and the fact that I don't want to have to keep sending things back for warranty repair. Now if the BB upgrade is an option, and someone locally in the states could do it for a reasonable cost, then I would have stuck with the Green and gotten it BB or I would send this red in ASAP and get it done. Reliability is important, especially for a street car you drive almost every day.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Black is great for what it is, but really if they sold BB Black it is def. worth it.
Black is already a monster turbo plus you get BB spool and reliability.
As long as the price is reasonable.
whoever said waste of money; well that all depends how much extra but def not a waste of money..
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the conversion cost 550pounds through Owen. thats 850us plus shipping costs. you only need to ship center section so shipping would be ~50.

ball bearing turbos do not spool faster. you will not see 200-300rpm faster spool. at best you might see 50rpm improvement. the difference is seen in boost response between shifts, plain journal turbos loose all spool instantly. impossible to keep turbo in boost between shifts. you cant shift fast enough. BB however stays spooled between shifts very nicely. moderately fast shifts keep turbo spooled in between shifts. the difference is stark. I did direct no other changes to car years ago. the BB is way worth the effort if you ask me. but in case of adding 900 to new turbo (they dont convert used) and killing warranty at same time, it becomes very unattractive.

to convert to tubular may be an option to some. you will loose 700-800 rpm spool going to hta82. but it will be easier to keep spooled due to BB even with added lag. for me tubular has no business on a street car.way too much engine compartment heat. less reliable than cast. and less torque at low rpms. just my 2 cents so flame away if it pleases you.

I dont even like black for street car. I prefer response of green which I feel would be much more fun with BB. I did write up on spool here if you want to read it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pool-data.html
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I think if you realize though that the savings from not using a relocated oil feed which is $250 and using the stock line then adding the cost of a BB upgrade at 600 after shipping then it is only $300 more and makes the turbo much more reliable and streetable. I think that is money well spent. Even though FP warranty will be lost I would HOPE that Owens would introduce their own warranty on a converted turbo since BB is supposed to be MORE reliable.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the conversion cost 550pounds through Owen. thats 850us plus shipping costs. you only need to ship center section so shipping would be ~50.

ball bearing turbos do not spool faster. you will not see 200-300rpm faster spool. at best you might see 50rpm improvement. the difference is seen in boost response between shifts, plain journal turbos loose all spool instantly. impossible to keep turbo in boost between shifts. you cant shift fast enough. BB however stays spooled between shifts very nicely. moderately fast shifts keep turbo spooled in between shifts. the difference is stark. I did direct no other changes to car years ago. the BB is way worth the effort if you ask me. but in case of adding 900 to new turbo (they dont convert used) and killing warranty at same time, it becomes very unattractive.

to convert to tubular may be an option to some. you will loose 700-800 rpm spool going to hta82. but it will be easier to keep spooled due to BB even with added lag. for me tubular has no business on a street car.way too much engine compartment heat. less reliable than cast. and less torque at low rpms. just my 2 cents so flame away if it pleases you.

I dont even like black for street car. I prefer response of green which I feel would be much more fun with BB. I did write up on spool here if you want to read it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pool-data.html
This is good info. I love my red but definetly feel a slight pause between gears. I want to build the engine before I consider changing turbos though.

Quick Reply: Ball Bearing FP Black - who want's one?