Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ball Bearing FP Black - who want's one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is nice to know.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
I have contacted miketurboinc.com about this and they're working on finding out how much it will cost, apparently they do BB conversion's, my mechanic who is building my block referred me to them

So if they get back to me like they said I will post the info.
Any word on the pricing from these guys? I am hoping the end result of this thread is a handful of BB FP Black Evo's screaming down the road. Let's make it happen! Even if I have to be the test pig...I will give it a shot and post results. Now, who is going to do the job?

Turbooutlaw
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Besides being stealth, I also don't see much point in this instead of going T3/T4. If you REALLY MUST have car that is both that fast and stealth on the street somewhere like here in CA, I guess it could be worth it, besides the sneakiness.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The question i want to know is WHY? Why would you by an FP black for say 1800 bux....then spend an additional 1200 bucks on this conversion!?? is it worth it? not in my opinion, just by an HTAXXX or a 62XX whatever. Converting journal bearing turbo to a BB turbo when there are TONS of options around just doesn't make sense to me.

But if this is truly what you want the have atter.....i'm just curious as to the point...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
The question i want to know is WHY? Why would you by an FP black for say 1800 bux....then spend an additional 1200 bucks on this conversion!?? is it worth it? not in my opinion, just by an HTAXXX or a 62XX whatever. Converting journal bearing turbo to a BB turbo when there are TONS of options around just doesn't make sense to me.

But if this is truly what you want the have atter.....i'm just curious as to the point...
post 28 explains it well. its not 1200 but 900 for conversion. and for those who know how to build a responsive fast street car its well worth it. most will fall in your category of making drag car like mods to their car and making huge sacrifices to the drivabilty. switching from black to tubular looses you 7-800rpm spool. thats no small sacrifice to me. especially when I have seen more than a couple of 700whp blacks that throws the "tubular makes more power" right out the window.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't really have anything new to say, but wanted to add my voice to the group of supporters for a BB black. I think the idea is fantastic. I've considered a black for some time, but the fact that I've personally seen two reds fail on lapping days has made me stick with a T3 setup. Now I know seeing and hearing about reds failing isn't seeing or hearing the same about blacks, but don't they have the same journal bearing center cartridge? There's where my hesitation lies.
I'd love to come off an apex with boost 600-800 rpms earlier, because quite honestly, I'm lazy. I don't want to have to down shift every damn time. Too much heel/toe gives me a calf cramp.
A BB black is the best of both worlds for me, and it sounds like for a few other folks as well. Fast spool, great response between shifts, reliability, can produce and hold power till redline. Another nice part is instead of worrying my turbo will break because I kicked it's ***, I can keep worrying something else will break because I have a kick *** turbo.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
post 28 explains it well. its not 1200 but 900 for conversion. and for those who know how to build a responsive fast street car its well worth it. most will fall in your category of making drag car like mods to their car and making huge sacrifices to the drivabilty. switching from black to tubular looses you 7-800rpm spool. thats no small sacrifice to me. especially when I have seen more than a couple of 700whp blacks that throws the "tubular makes more power" right out the window.

Fair enough, that's a valid point. I guess i'm just after a different goal with my car at the moment, so the pirce for a BB black doesn't seem practical...but for those that are after a very responsive turbo this may be what there looking for.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:13 AM

Looks like we may have a long wait

I don't see anyone jumping to deliver...

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Fair enough, that's a valid point. I guess i'm just after a different goal with my car at the moment, so the pirce for a BB black doesn't seem practical...but for those that are after a very responsive turbo this may be what there looking for.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

You'd want to be really sure about the 6-800 RPM spool improvement because thats a lot for the size of the wheels .

I think for this to be an economic reality the original upgrader - FP needs to be in on it because is not very practical to have an OE turbo modified and assembled then same again including an OS Holiday .
Perhaps what you need to do is try to organise a center housing and ball bearing pack that takes the Mitsy shaft and housings . Really if you can accurately bore out the guts to take a Garrett or similar bearing pack and organise for the pack to suit the Mitsy turbine shaft diameter it may be easier than you think .
Probably step one could be to see what HKS does and beg their suppliers for a similar center section .

A .
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not that serious to convert the Black at all to bb, especially for $1200. If it was $200 sure, hell even $500 isnt that bad. But $1200 is just dumb.

At that point, might as well just buy a 2nd Black and be the first idiot to have the worlds first twin turbo FP Black setup not in the 9's
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Rather than making the FP Black BB, FP should just make a mitsu-flanged, twin scroll hotside for the HTA3582 (basically a hotside just like the stock mitsu, but that will fit on a garrett chra). They already did this for the DSMs years ago. It should be able to bolt up to a stock manifold with an internal wastegate. I would definitely buy something like that.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah well Mitsy made it better than most with a twin scroll twin integral gate turbine housing and its a hard act to follow because they never enlarged Evo engines to 2.4/2.5L or made a suitable TD06 Evo turbine housing .

Somewhere between an Evo style TD06 turbine housing and a hand full of ***** is the answer .
AFAIK the 10.8 cm Evo 9 style turbine housing GT Pumps sells here in Australia is the largest bolt on T housing option .

A .
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:06 AM

Isn't the housing on the HKS turbo a new casting? Maybe we can get some of these housings and the BB center sections.

Originally Posted by discopotato03
Yeah well Mitsy made it better than most with a twin scroll twin integral gate turbine housing and its a hard act to follow because they never enlarged Evo engines to 2.4/2.5L or made a suitable TD06 Evo turbine housing .

Somewhere between an Evo style TD06 turbine housing and a hand full of ***** is the answer .
AFAIK the 10.8 cm Evo 9 style turbine housing GT Pumps sells here in Australia is the largest bolt on T housing option .

A .
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone get pricing?

Are any of the numbers in the posts correct? Or is everyone just guessing?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:46 AM

A bb fp black would have some crazy spool numbers

Quick Reply: Ball Bearing FP Black - who want's one?