Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ball Bearing FP Black - who want's one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would rather just go with a Garrett if I wanted BB.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Well I talked to Hong at Mike Turbo. inc.
I got some detail about BB conversions. He said the turbine shaft is not modified. But the center cartridge is. problem is you cant machine your current evo 9 center housing as there is not enough material to house the BB diameter. So the guys doing these BB conversions are using a new center housing that is cast for BB use. This is where the problem starts. The people selling the center housings dont want to sell one or two. they want to sell hundreds at a time. So anyone interested in selling BB conversion would have to make substantial investment in some housings. I dont think the market here is strong enoug for that to happen.

He does however have the current tooling to get garrett BB centers installed inside evo 10 housings. So if you send him a evo 10 turbo he can convert it to bolt on 35r. I didnt get quote but he did say his cost for gt35r cartridge was around 1050. so add another 200 (total guess) for machine work on top of that. He is also working on BB bolt on turbos for evo 8/9. and it sounds like the target market for such a turbo was a 35r 3076 size turbo. He hopes to have such turbos by the end of the year.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yes that all makes sense - enough meat in the center housing to bore it out for the DBB pack .

Yes and Garrett don't make suitable reverse rotation turbos in the GT30xxR area . Actually the only RR BB one I can think of is the GTP38R for a Ford diseasel and its too big .

Something to look into may be trying to get Mitsubishi turbines and compressor wheels to fit an existing Garrett BB center section , I wouldn't think the bearing pack would mind which way it rotated but have to look at one in bits . I also think Misty's wheels are better suited than Garrett's typically big trim ones .

The slight downside would be the custom water and oil plumbing needed to use something like this on a 4G engine .

A .
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
subscribed
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Not worth the expense, IMO.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by discopotato03
Yes that all makes sense - enough meat in the center housing to bore it out for the DBB pack .

Yes and Garrett don't make suitable reverse rotation turbos in the GT30xxR area . Actually the only RR BB one I can think of is the GTP38R for a Ford diseasel and its too big .

Something to look into may be trying to get Mitsubishi turbines and compressor wheels to fit an existing Garrett BB center section , I wouldn't think the bearing pack would mind which way it rotated but have to look at one in bits . I also think Misty's wheels are better suited than Garrett's typically big trim ones .

The slight downside would be the custom water and oil plumbing needed to use something like this on a 4G engine .

A .
Since I own a Ford Excursion TD with an uprated turbo ( Banks Racing version ) I can tell you it is one huge turbo. Makes the TD06 look tiny in comparison. The GTP38R is essentially the same ( Garrett touts it as a direct bolt-in ) with a 1.05 a/r hotside and a BB CHRA. Mine runs all day towing 9000 lbs + 7600 lb Excursion at 26-28 psi and is great fun to drive :-) ~ 325 whp and 650 ft/lbs TQ

My own opinion is Id love to have a BB version of the stock frame turbos, as im interested in the transient response for roadracing, autox, and mountain runs. THAT is where the driveability, and response of the BB turbo comes in.

BTW CBRD did say they might be able to mod a BBK full to a BB version, but never posted for sure or the cost. Now a BBK-B plus BB would be ideal IMHO
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
^ And you were the one that told me I should BB my Black! hahaha

Mikey
LOL - Seriously! I guess we made sense to Eric, he just didn't want to admit it.

I'd do the BB upgrade for $500. I wonder how it would compare to say a tubular stock frame manifold that people are doing. Stock frame tubular manifold seem to add 15 - 20whp over a stock ported mani, maybe less? People pay $500 to over $1000 for those. I suppose those look cool as opposed to adding BB's, which would look the same from the outside.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhhh
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Shhhhhhhhhhh
What's with the shhhhhing? I wanna know the secrets?!&! I guess ill have to way till next friday to try and get them out of u...haha...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Well I talked to Hong at Mike Turbo. inc.
I got some detail about BB conversions. He said the turbine shaft is not modified. But the center cartridge is. problem is you cant machine your current evo 9 center housing as there is not enough material to house the BB diameter. So the guys doing these BB conversions are using a new center housing that is cast for BB use. This is where the problem starts. The people selling the center housings dont want to sell one or two. they want to sell hundreds at a time. So anyone interested in selling BB conversion would have to make substantial investment in some housings. I dont think the market here is strong enoug for that to happen.

He does however have the current tooling to get garrett BB centers installed inside evo 10 housings. So if you send him a evo 10 turbo he can convert it to bolt on 35r. I didnt get quote but he did say his cost for gt35r cartridge was around 1050. so add another 200 (total guess) for machine work on top of that. He is also working on BB bolt on turbos for evo 8/9. and it sounds like the target market for such a turbo was a 35r 3076 size turbo. He hopes to have such turbos by the end of the year.
Ooo...interesting...thanks for posting...definitely looking forward to more updates...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

As usual volume sales is what makes hybrids or wildcats an economic (affordable) reality . It would be interesting to see what could be done in the way of a group buy if the numbers could be guaranteed .
I suppose if the center casting and DBB pack can be organised it may be a good way to upgrade a customers existing turbo because the wheels and housings they already have , the only discarded bits would be the old bearing housing bushes plate collar .
If a newin requires a brand new 9 turbo with machine work plus the larger comp and turbine its going to be expensive because of the need to pay for parts not used .

Personally I'd like to see many of these turbos from the standard 9 on up available with ball bearing center sections .

Now having been through a bit of research on Subaru OE style turbos I got to know a bit about the wheel sizes , the thing I can't remember is if MHI did any ball bearing ones for Fuji .

Interesting times , cheers A .
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.exoticspeed.ca/index.php?cPath=73_74_95_560

available with a ball-bearing center cartridge that allows for 11% faster spool up then the standard sleeve bearing versions.

This has been posted before but no one has tried them. I'm so tired of the FP stock frame ball bearing conversation, it has been going nowhere for years.

It's one of these posted above (although no pricing for the BB versions) or the HKS for me.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Its not just the ***** we need a true TD06 RR Evo style turbine housing as well .
I'd like to see the HKS's turbine housing measured and compared to the OE Mitsy Evo 9's TD05 one .

The port shrouded compressor housings shown in the above links pics look good too .

A .
Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 95630706
http://www.exoticspeed.ca/index.php?cPath=73_74_95_560

available with a ball-bearing center cartridge that allows for 11% faster spool up then the standard sleeve bearing versions.

This has been posted before but no one has tried them. I'm so tired of the FP stock frame ball bearing conversation, it has been going nowhere for years.

It's one of these posted above (although no pricing for the BB versions) or the HKS for me.
These turbos look real interesting. Any idea how much extra they are in BB? very strange there is no data anywhere on them.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this thread we were supposed to get results months ago on it!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eed-es430.html