Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Going e85 the cons and bad.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No it still smells pretty bad lol...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
That would be a bad choice to run meth and e85 not wise dude.
+1 I dont understand the point of doing something like this...

I mean I understand running pump and meth, but if you have e85 available why would you risk running it with meth, most people switch from running meth to E85 like I have to keep things safer...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by keath
Question is do you run same boost with those to different ethanol contents?
Yep. I don't touch a thing. AFRs richen up going to higher gasoline content, and there is no knock.

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Really? I thought E85 might burn with less smell due to less emissions. Can anyone else comment on this?
The odor is distinctive and apparent during warmup, but I don't notice it otherwise. I would say that the odor is preferable to gasoline.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Well i had to lower boost... Started knocking on winter blend
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Blitz - If E85 absorbs water, then formic acid (bad for the motor) gets released during combustion as the engine is warming up. As long as the container is air-tight, E85 will keep for several months. No prob to slowly add it to your tank over time if you want.
How much would you say it is safe to add at a time?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by keath
Well i had to lower boost... Started knocking on winter blend
At 37 psi, its not surprising that it started knocking. I'm only at 27 psi.

Originally Posted by Blitz
How much would you say it is safe to add at a time?
1 gallon per tank full is safe enough. (AFRs will lean out slightly, but knock resistance goes up.) You could try 2 gallons, but I would log knock to check it out.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
That would be a bad choice to run meth and e85 not wise dude.

you talk about it as if you have personal experience with it (ironically, you made this thread pertaining to asking help to understand e85 better and if it's worth it), and as if it's a fatal mistake to combine both.

you should probably stop trying to act like an internet tuner so others on here dont have to sift through your bs every time you make a new account after your previous one's get disabled.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
you talk about it as if you have personal experience with it (ironically, you made this thread pertaining to asking help to understand e85 better and if it's worth it), and as if it's a fatal mistake to combine both.

you should probably stop trying to act like an internet tuner so others on here dont have to sift through your bs every time you make a new account after your previous one's get disabled.
plus one
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
... and as if it's a fatal mistake to combine both.
You combine ethanol and methanol with a bit of gasoline thrown in and BOOM!

Well, not quite.

Actually, I don't feel there is any real power bonanza to be had in putting a typical methanol injection setup on top of E85. Why?

Well for starters, the stoichiometry of methanol already requires a sizable shot to account for an appreciable percentage of the fuel charge with gasoline, and with 30% more E85 required to reach the same stoichiometry as gasoline, the same methanol shot suddenly became 30% smaller when running on E85.

Secondly, methanol has a much higher effective octane than pump gasoline, but not so much higher than E85. That means even if the methanol shot were increased by 30% to account for the stiochiometry issue, it won't make the same impact with E85 as with pump gasoline.

It's an idea that certainly has crossed the minds of many methanol users, but I don't feel the risk/reward ratio makes much sense.

Just my $0.02.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
You combine ethanol and methanol with a bit of gasoline thrown in and BOOM!

Well, not quite.

Actually, I don't feel there is any real power bonanza to be had in putting a typical methanol injection setup on top of E85. Why?

Well for starters, the stoichiometry of methanol already requires a sizable shot to account for an appreciable percentage of the fuel charge with gasoline, and with 30% more E85 required to reach the same stoichiometry as gasoline, the same methanol shot suddenly became 30% smaller when running on E85.

Secondly, methanol has a much higher effective octane than pump gasoline, but not so much higher than E85. That means even if the methanol shot were increased by 30% to account for the stiochiometry issue, it won't make the same impact with E85 as with pump gasoline.

It's an idea that certainly has crossed the minds of many methanol users, but I don't feel the risk/reward ratio makes much sense.

Just my $0.02.
i agree its not exactly best route to mix eth w/ meth, since eth basically makes meth inj obsolete. just saying the guy talks more from a biased-opinion based objection, than anything else in 95% of his posts, which are irrelevant to helping any topic out..

i can see where someone uses meth inj on top of e85 when they ran out of injector, just to help them either add a "cushion", or to extend it beyond the injectors dc max (obviously not recommended, but people abuse meth injection anyways).

i run 100% water inj w/ e85 and love it, or sometimes like 80%+ water and the rest meth, then toss it in the freezer so that i can get it below freezing temps, then toss that in the injection tank... not necessary to do all that, but it works well according to my IAT logs.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smells like corn
Best mod you do to your car dollar for dollar.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Smells like corn
Best mod you do to your car dollar for dollar.
I wish there were more E85 stations where I live :-/
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I wish that the ethanol content was controlled better from the pump. I can't use it above 30-35lbs because the %'s are so different from fill-up to fill-up that I knock all over the place. Oh well, MS109 it is.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

Norcal pumps are pretty much 82-84 all the time... bummer

- Bryan
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Norcal pumps are pretty much 82-84 all the time... bummer

- Bryan
Yeah, not so much the case down here. I have seen some wild wild fluctuations from week to week during the same season, same batch of fuel, etc. I went one week and tested a sample and it was 75 and the next week with the same batch of E85, same gas station, and same pump, nothing changed except for time, I tested a sample and got 82. This was all during the summer as well if that matters. For the lower boost applications were I can only guess that the tune isn't realizing the full potential of the fuel, it doesn't really matter from what I have gathered, but for the few that run all out 35+psi ***** to the wall, it is no bueno.

Quick Reply: Going e85 the cons and bad.