Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny strength?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2001, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny strength?

What HP and torque can these suckers hold?

I ws looking at a wrx, notice there are a lot of impreza people around here, but I found out that the transmission is the weak link with the subaru.

So can the transmision handle 400ft/lbs of torque without scattering the gears?
Old Sep 24, 2001, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Are you wanting to know about the Lancer, or the WRX. I dont think either could handle 400lbs at the wheels without significant upgrades
Old Sep 24, 2001, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome, stgdz.

I am pretty sure you mean 400lb/ft, not the other way around,

Well, like Justin (All We'll Drive) said, it's highly doubtful for a stock tranny (gearbox) can withstand this type of monster torque.
Old Sep 24, 2001, 07:20 PM

The basic upgrades that I was thinking of were lightened flywheel and stronger clutch.

I do know that trannies do really care about rpm just the torque.

I am asking about the lancer too.

I do remember reading that the Bozz lancer had somewhere in the neighborhood of 600hp and the clutch gave out.
Old Sep 24, 2001, 07:31 PM

Exclamation

It's safe to say that if you wish to exceed 350 HP thru a manual tranny you will need a custom race box or a dog/halfdog transmission. If you plan on running that power thru an auto, well, don't.

Old Sep 28, 2001, 01:33 AM

Re: Tranny strength?

Originally posted by stgdz
What HP and torque can these suckers hold?

I ws looking at a wrx, notice there are a lot of impreza people around here, but I found out that the transmission is the weak link with the subaru.

So can the transmision handle 400ft/lbs of torque without scattering the gears?

You may be suprised to here this but the stock transmission on an evo will take that kind of power use a good oil though.
the clutch on the other hand will not .
l run a group A rally evo6 over here in england and we have 340 bhp and 400lbs/ft of torque .
To transmit to the gearbox we have to use a twin plate paddle clutch.
if you only require road use then this will be a bit harsh to drive but it will be the only way to keep the clutch in check.
how do you intend to get this horsepower?

regards brian
Old Sep 28, 2001, 07:55 PM

go to a rally and watch the action in the pits. you'll see the subaru team changing transmissions almost nightly. you'll just about never see someone changing an evo transmission at a rally. i think the evo's can hold quite a bit. if that bozz thing didn't break the gears, I can't imagine ever having any problems. of course you need a beefier clutch, but that doens't seem to be that big of a deal. Seems like with the Subie's it just about a dead end shortly after 300 ft-lbs.

-Robert
Old Oct 22, 2001, 06:32 AM

From what I have observed in Australia,WRX gearboxes are about as strong as cardboard. Evo gearboxes on the other hand are quite strong. There is an EVO in Japan running low 10 sec. 1/4s with a pretty standard gearbox.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jjvr4
There is an EVO in Japan running low 10 sec. 1/4s with a pretty standard gearbox.
Hi, welcome aboard! Can you provide a definition for "pretty standard gearbox" for us?. To make an EVO do low 10's that car has to be running serious power... 450-550HP perhaps?
Old Oct 23, 2001, 03:29 AM

I saw an article in a magazine the other day about the 10 sec. Lancer EVO 4. The car is in Japan. I think I read that the gearbox was stock. It certainly didn't have a dogbox like the quick Rex's MUST have. I know of some 1.8lt Lancer GSR's in Aust. that run mid 11's , that have standard gearboxes. I think the quickest Galant VR4 (4g63t) around runs low 11's (USA) . I believe the gearbox in that is pretty stock. Even WRX Sti gearboxes are pathetic.
Old Oct 27, 2001, 06:10 PM

I bought that mag with the Lancer evo 4 I was talking about. It has "over 450 hp "and ran a 10.4sec 1/4 on road tyres on a 100 deg day. The trans according to the report is stock. The car has been lightened a bit.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 06:29 AM

I've just been reading 2 articles in "Fast Fours" magazine. One is about a EVO5 with 590 hp and 729 nm of torque in Japan, and the other is a evo6 with 330 hp at all 4 wheels from over here in Australia. Both have standard gearboxes. The EVO 6 has done 11.1 @ 123mph on street rubber. They are a very strong car. No need for dog boxes here!
Old Nov 12, 2001, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

The transmission isn't the weak link in an Evo but saying that Manuel Go's car from the Phillipines has shagged two transmissions I believe but I have no knowledge of what part failed. I think 400lb/ft shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 01:39 PM

My EVO has 385 bhp and 355 lb/ft torque, and I use a lightened CUSCO flywheel and twin-plate hydraulic CUSCO clutch. I only use the car on the track, so it is subject to high rev loads (up to 8000rpm) harsh changes etc., etc. - also have a quick shift, solid gearbox mounts and a solid mounted shifter.

The gearbox oil is changed regularly, and it would appear that the magnetic plug collects alot of swarf. My guess is that the gearbox is wearing quickly under this abuse (so far 6000 miles of it) and I am guessing it will need a rebuild by about 10000 miles.

I am looking at Dog gear internals as an alternative. Ralliart do them (bloody expensive), but Monster do them also (not so expensive, but very low geared).

Would like to retain similar gearing to what I have now (GSR gears) but maybe use the shorter 3/4/5 from the RS box (but not the final drive).

Anyway, I rant! The gearbox is tough and should take 400bhp on a road car no problem.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 12:03 PM

Um, I generaly think that the evo ahve a very stong gear box but I also think it coems down to that the torque of the wrx comes in very low in the rpms in comparison. Do you think that the rpm range in which the power is shot in could also be a problem?

Quick Reply: Tranny strength?