Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant bleeding issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant bleeding issue

A few days ago i had my water pump freeze plug blow out on me after letting off the gas on a 3rd gear pull. i then replaces the freeze plug and topped off my radiator. i started my car with the cap off and added a little of coolant as some bubbles rised and coolant lowered. after only 5 minutes of running my coolant raised and started overflowing. i found this odd as i dont think it was hot enough for the thermostat to open yet and wouldnt i have needed to add coolant once the thermostat opened? is this normal, as ive never seen it do this before.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

i was able to rebleed it today. there was a massive amount of air bubbles which is what caused my coolant to overflow the other day. i also think this is y my freeze plug popped since i did not properly bleed my coolant system after i installed my last turbo.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

ok so i have now taken it to a local hot rod shop to get a proper leakdown test performed. they did the test cold and hot and said all 4 cylinders were 18% leakage across the board and that for "these type of cars" its perfect and that they saw no leakage anywhere into the coolant or between cylinders. so now id like some professional help as far as if 18% is ok for an evo 8.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

no help?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:05 PM

Get a radkitplus from snap on, pulls a vacuum on the cooling system then you can open the valve it will pull the coolant into the system. Works flawless if done correctly and leaves no air pockets.

I always use it, even if the system isn't completely empty. Better safe than sorry.

This way you will know there is no air pockets.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like you could have done a head gasket, take the car to someone who can test the coolant for combustion gasses. A car can leak down and comp test fine but have a blown gasket.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He can just check the oil. If it is milky say bye bye to your head gasket. As far as filling up the radiator, just the engine run out the air. you have an over flow tank. Fill it up, run the car, let the car cool off, check the level.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by *constant_boost
He can just check the oil. If it is milky say bye bye to your head gasket. As far as filling up the radiator, just the engine run out the air. you have an over flow tank. Fill it up, run the car, let the car cool off, check the level.
how would the coolant contaminate the oil if the leak is from the combustion chamber to a water passage?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you see coolant level rising quickly close the cap on the radiator and then watch the coolant overflow tank and make sure it doesnt run dry.. the evo coolant setup self bleeds itself so no air bubbles will get in the system as long as you keep coolant in the overflow tank.

when car is cold top off the coolant in the radiator and then start the car with the cap off and when you see it rise put the cap back on then watch the overflow.. once it stops sucking from the overflow you are good to go.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because i am lazy:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...wn_head_gasket

JC evo 1 neither of us are wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

ive been driving my car normaly for a few weeks now and i check the oil and coolant every other day and theres nothing odd in either. everything seems fine and now that i got a leakdown test that showed 18% on all cylinders im stumped as to y my water pump freeze plug blew out after a hard pull. im not losing any coolant and my oil usage hasnt ever changed.

what is the highest leak down % thats allowed?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the fact you blew the freeze plug before the weep hole in the waterpump tells me the waterpump had a defect from mitsubishi, which they are well known to have had in the past. Evos used to blow out the freeze plug on the waterpumps all the time back in 2003.

If it would be from excessive pressure from head lifting or not sealing properly the weep hole would have blew not the freeze plug. the weep hole is there for a reason.

edit: the weep hole is there to determine if the waterpump seal is good or not, usually when you over pressurize the coolant system the seal blows on the waterpump before the freeze plug pops out.
Im just talking from experience.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Oct 15, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info