Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

With stock frame turbo's being the it option, found an option that no one talks about

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With stock frame turbo's being the it option, found an option that no one talks about

Off of MAPerformance's website: ATP Turbo Stage 3 Stealth Upgrade GT3540R

Details:
Garrett Prototype GT Ball Bearing turbo w/ATP Proprietary Housing with GT inspired High-Flowing Valute
Bolt-in design retains stock manifold - Retains stock heatshield for OEM appearance
Steel braided lines and fittings for oil/coolant connections
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Stainless wastegate discharge tube with downpipe re-route
Silicone connectors and clamps
All mounting hardware, gaskets and CNC machined fittings
600 crank HP utilizing the ultra efficient GT3540R
3.0" Stainless steel downpipe w/stainless O2 housing
100% bolt-on design. No welding, cutting, or fabrication

Basically for the inbetweeners like me that may want more power but either a) don't want a journal bearing turbo b) aren't as concerned about spool but want a stealth look c) want to keep costs down.......

I'm surprised no one talks about this turbo or posts about it. They had 2 other options but for the money it seems the GT35 stock mani bolt on would be a good option.

Externally wastegated, GT35R power but stock manifold keeps costs down (with heat shield makes it look stealth. VBand downpipe for ease of install or de-install.

Besides the whole "lag" issues that any GT series turbo would have verses the the usual suspects does anyone have any experience with this turbo?

The only reason I'm considering this turbo is because I may be moving where is ZERO E85 and I'd like to have some nice numbers on pump if thats all I have available to me.

Thoughts, opinions?

And cost wise.......a FP Black and a Mona Lisa (or equivalent turbo) would be about the same price. Or taking a tubular manifold out of the equation its still only 700 dollars more then a FP Black.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Never heard of it. Good find.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've probably heard or read about a hand full of results from this or other AGP turbos on here or evos in general...they are just not used much at all on evos, I think because of the results not being that great and we have so many other options...I think AGP is big in the SRT4 scene though...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I've probably heard or read about a hand full of results from this or other AGP turbos on here or evos in general...they are just not used much at all on evos, I think because of the results not being that great and we have so many other options...I think AGP is big in the SRT4 scene though...
This is ATP not AGP lol.. But most tend to steer clear due to the turbine housing design..
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
ATP kits have been around for years. There's a reason no one talks about them anymore. They've gone the way of HKS 264 cams, SMC meth kits, white rabbit turbos, and blocks of 8s in the timing tables.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I only found one thread that had some information on it from 3 years ago and it seemed the majority of people were down on it. Mellon chimed in about running less boost on a bigger turbo but didn't advocate that turbo completely.

Is the housing a sticking point for most because of that fact that ATP had to modify it to work with a stock manifold? Plus it seemed no one really maxed it out like they do the current stock frame offerings.

It stands to reason with the birth of the black that this should be a viable alternative. Plus the limits of what can/can't be done on a stock frame turbo have come a long way since then...as well as what can be done on E85 and ECUFlash.

Not sure if I want to be the guinea pig but I can't see how this would be any worse in spool then a regular GT35R......maybe the custom ATP housing is the problem.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
I only found one thread that had some information on it from 3 years ago and it seemed the majority of people were down on it. Mellon chimed in about running less boost on a bigger turbo but didn't advocate that turbo completely.

Is the housing a sticking point for most because of that fact that ATP had to modify it to work with a stock manifold? Plus it seemed no one really maxed it out like they do the current stock frame offerings.

It stands to reason with the birth of the black that this should be a viable alternative. Plus the limits of what can/can't be done on a stock frame turbo have come a long way since then...as well as what can be done on E85 and ECUFlash.

Not sure if I want to be the guinea pig but I can't see how this would be any worse in spool then a regular GT35R......maybe the custom ATP housing is the problem.
Yeah, the housing design to work on the stock manifold is not suppose to be all that great, but some guys did have a bit of luck extrude honeing the mani and turbine housing together, check this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...kes-again.html

Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
This is ATP not AGP lol.. But most tend to steer clear due to the turbine housing design..
haha sh*t...nvm then...oh well...still never see many Evo results at all with the AGP turbos...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

My head hurts after reading that thread. Lot of grandstanding and pissing contests with nothing but one dyno sheet to show some information. No drag strip times, no videos as promised regarding boost in the real world.

Meh!!! I think I'll pass. Seems like it would/should have potential. Oh well.

I'm still waiting on BBK-B availability or Ivey tune to get back to me on pricing for the new HKS turbo.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Sep 9, 2010 at 03:28 PM.