Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any twin discs with stapped floater plates?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any twin discs with stapped floater plates?

If and when I need a new clutch, I would like to go with a twin disc, for several reasons. But, does anyone know of any Evo twin disc clutches that have a strapped floater plate or a design that eliminates the rattling associated with poorly engineered twin discs?

I thought I remember reading that the Spec clutches have a strapped design, but with mixed reviews and horror stores, I would rather not go that route.

It looks as though Fidanza's twin discs have a very nice design with a strapped floater plate, but they aren't available for the Evo yet. Here is a picture of the Fidanza design, to illustrate what I am talking about:

I don't know if this is a patented design or something, but I have no clue why more clutch manufacturers don't do something like this. Everything about a twin disc is superior except the annoying rattle due to the floating mid plate. I don't want to put in a noisy twin into my car. It's my daily driver and I have certain standards of quality I guess.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Sep 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rattling is fairly annoying, but granted it's only when the clutch is disengaged which is rarely.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

The act for the domestic stuff is strapped. Not that is does you any good

I have a os giken in a friends car now and its quite as can be.

Fathouse
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I've read both good and bad about the OS Giken. Some say it's super quiet, but some say it's noisy and I have seen videos of it noisy.

So, that's why I want to find one that has the strapped floater plates or a design similar to that.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Don't the exedy twins have a strapped plate? Or perhaps I'm confusing this with another twin...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I thought i read the fidanza twin was sold exclusively through CBRD?

here is a post about it

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6958783-post1.html
Old Sep 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
Don't the exedy twins have a strapped plate? Or perhaps I'm confusing this with another twin...
Nope, Exedy doesn't have a strapped floater plate.

Originally Posted by travman
I thought i read the fidanza twin was sold exclusively through CBRD?

here is a post about it

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6958783-post1.html
That looks like a completely different design from the standard Fidanza twin. From what I can see in that illustration, the floater plate isn't strapped.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

The noise from a twin really isn't that bad, but of course that is in my opinion, and the exedy twins are fairly quite as far as twins go. Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get to the point where you need a twin plate clutch, I mean need one, not I want one, your car will be loud and noisy already and you probably wont hear the unstrapped twin that much because of it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe call ACT?

I saw a picture of the ACT twin disc for a mustang and it was the strapped type. Not sure if that design would carry over to an EVO model (or if there is even an EVO model twin from them)twin disc but then again not sure why they would do it any differently just for the EVO.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

...Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get to the point where you need a twin plate clutch, I mean need one, not I want one, your car will be loud and noisy already and you probably wont hear the unstrapped twin that much because of it.
I totally disagree with this. I daily drive my Evo and I like it quiet as possible. I have already made 400/400 on the stock VIII turbo on E85 on a very mild tune. Granted that was with my cutout open, but now I never even use it and will most likely take it off. The power and torque isn't that far off with it closed, going through the stock exhaust.

And with newer turbos like the 7460 and the HTA green, 500wtq is definitely possible. A good clutch, in my opinion, is mandatory for a quick spooling (more torque) turbo. But, nothing that will rattle when a proper design will alleviate it. You definitely don't need to have a loud, noisy car to have a powerful car.

There are more reasons to getting a twin than simply the torque capacity, too, such as pedal pressure, engagement, drivability, etc, while still having the torque capacity. It's not that I 'want' one. Believe me, I have been modding for 10+ years with DSMs and Evos and I only do what is needed. I just hate modding a single part more than once, though. I get what will be good for a while and be done with it. But, I definitely hate loud, hacked up, stripped down cars. That's just me. My car is my daily driver and always will be. That's the basis behind me wanting a good twin. So, that I am well within the torque capacity of running 30+ psi on quick spooling turbos, while still mainting stock like pressure, drivability, etc.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Sep 9, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

The rattling isnt from the unstrapped twin it is from the solid hubs in the disks. If you had sprung hubs you wouldnt have the rattles. Thats why the OS Giken and the HKS with the sprung hub on the twins are quiet. OS Giken and HKS both make unsprung twins so thats why some are loud and some are quiet.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get to the point where you need a twin plate clutch, I mean need one, not I want one, your car will be loud and noisy already and you probably wont hear the unstrapped twin that much because of it.

truth
Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
The rattling isnt from the unstrapped twin it is from the solid hubs in the disks. If you had sprung hubs you wouldnt have the rattles. Thats why the OS Giken and the HKS with the sprung hub on the twins are quiet. OS Giken and HKS both make unsprung twins so thats why some are loud and some are quiet.
Are you talking about chatter rather than rattle?

I'm not talking about noise when the discs are being engaged. I'm referring to the noise of the floater plate being able to move around when the clutch pedal is depressed. It's not really my theory...it's common knowledge and an issue that is well known, which is why many manufacturer's have implemented either strapped floater plates or a similar design.

My question was why aren't there (or are there that I don't know of) any such designs for the Evo yet. From what I read on the Fidanza twin a while back, they were supposed to implement the design for the Evo as one of the next cars, but they never did.

These designs seems plentiful in the domestic market, yet I can't find one for the Evo, with exception of the Spec twin (I forgot their exact design, but the quality control seemed beyond my liking with many having problems with input shaft wear, etc).
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Are you talking about chatter rather than rattle?

I'm not talking about noise when the discs are being engaged. I'm referring to the noise of the floater plate being able to move around when the clutch pedal is depressed. It's not really my theory...it's common knowledge and an issue that is well known, which is why many manufacturer's have implemented either strapped floater plates or a similar design.
I was talking about the noise that drove me crazy on my 2 cars with twin disks. The noise under decel which is a super loud vibrating as if the exhaust is rubbing against the chassis. The slight rattle of the loose disks is soo miniscule that I never even considered that noise as something to worry about. The exedy twin has springs on the flaoter plates to alleviate that rattle.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, yes, that's what I thought you were referring to. Yep, I'm well aware of that issue and non-sprung hubs. I was referring to the rattle, though. I do appreciate your input, though.

I did see that Exedy used some kind of tabs or springs as you call them to alleviate that, but from what others are saying and from what I have heard in videos (I have no experience myself), it doesn't really do it's job. That's why I was looking for a clutch with a better or different design similar to the strapped plate I linked to.

Quick Reply: Any twin discs with stapped floater plates?