Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rattling noise from the drive shaft?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise from the drive shaft?

hello evolutionm long time. very stressed here dont know what to do... well ill start of by sayin hello again to everyone. so hello. now my problem is i have a 2003 black evo 8. i was driving one day on the highway trying to get home.. when suddenly my car started to shake. on idle the car wouldn't make that irritating noise but it would suddenly start up 3000rpms and above. short rattling noises in between revs. even i wasnt moving and i rev it up the noise is very noticeable at about the same rpm or more. it sounds like a metal piece rattling. another headache is driving the car. my pedals and maybe the whole car would shake because of the rattling.
i took it to my local dealer and they have checked top and bottom. brought it up the lift and they all predict its coming from the drive shaft.. they check the transfer case/tranny with a stethoscope looking equipment and couldn't find the rattling noise. but when they rev it up they would hear it coming from the drive shaft.. was planning to take to another place for a second opinion? should i buy for a new drive shaft? is there anything lose or broken? pls help.. thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i get that only when i rev out 1st gear, i think its clutch chatter
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:11 AM

I don't think its clutch.. Ihave ACT clutch wid flywheel xtss.. But the people in the local shop said its really from the drive shaft.. And its every gear when I reach 3000 rpms and more.. Its really scary. The car would shake. And its hinderin me from drivin at times..
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

^^ oh that a different story, i would not drive the car hard at all till you find out what causing that!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
"even i wasnt moving and i rev it up the noise is very noticeable at about the same rpm or more. "

If you are not moving, then it is not the driveshaft. sounds like the clutch.

Don

Last edited by Roadrunr; Sep 11, 2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
"even i wasnt moving and i rev it up the noise is very noticeable at about the same rpm or more. "

If you are not moving, then it is not the driveshaft. sounds like the clutch.

Don
+1 still think it might be the clutch
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

man i have the same problem but only in 5th gear when im crusing no matter how low or high the rpm or the speed is.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:45 PM

So does that mean I need a new clutch? The clutch still grabs hard. No slips.. The noise seem to sound like two metal pieces rattling.. Not a clunkin noise. The car still runs perfect but jus that rattling noise..that they predict is comin from the drive shaft.. Goin to get it checked by iveytune on tuesday.. Hopefully nothin serious. All gears still run well.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63Moon
man i have the same problem but only in 5th gear when im crusing no matter how low or high the rpm or the speed is.
Transmission !!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jdmredline32
So does that mean I need a new clutch? The clutch still grabs hard. No slips.. The noise seem to sound like two metal pieces rattling.. Not a clunkin noise. The car still runs perfect but jus that rattling noise..that they predict is comin from the drive shaft.. Goin to get it checked by iveytune on tuesday.. Hopefully nothin serious. All gears still run well.
If it is the driveshaft, I have a new one I will make you an offer you can not resist.

Don
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

no it does not mean you need a new clutch! its just making noise
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:17 PM

I don't think its transmission roadrunr.. Can u feel yur clutch slippin? It could be clutch for u too. @don ill let u know tuesday.. A new drive shaft is mad expensive..
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think its transmission roadrunr.. Can u feel yur clutch slippin? It could be clutch for u too. @don ill let u know tuesday.. A new drive shaft is mad expensive..
If the noise is only in fifth at all speeds and RPM's, it is more than likely the trans. Yours is when moving and sitting still, I am guessing it is the clutch or flywheel.

Don
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
opening the peak hole and looking into your transmission wouldnt be a bad idea.. although you wont be able to see much... your next step would be pull your transmission and transfer case off... I dont suspect the driveshaft to be the issue. it is something connected (either diff or tc)
Old May 7, 2011, 03:58 AM

What was causing the noise? Any updates?
Old May 7, 2011, 04:13 AM

Anything recently done to the car like mods or even any servicing?

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from the drive shaft?