Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Off the shelf built short block options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evolution2186
I would go with a more reliable source.
What is wrong with sbr?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
check out slowboyracing
I've read at least two horror stories of people ordering built motors from SBR.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I've read at least two horror stories of people ordering built motors from SBR.
Agreed. I have read at least two terrible experiences also, just search their name on these boards and you will find some answers. There are far too many engine builders with great reputations for customer service and quality pricing to risk something with your build.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be hit or miss. I think their track record recently has gotten a lot more reliable.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:32 PM

So 2 out of how many motors that have been sent out?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rico91stang
So 2 out of how many motors that have been sent out?
Going by the your statistics, 2 out of 2. If you open it up to the community, we don't know how many bad or how many sold.

I can tell you that if you asked the same question from Buschur, it would be 0 out of unknown.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
let's not start this now I have seen other known companies motors fail miserably and are crap from the start all of evoms favorites have there horror stories for sure. I would like to respond to batty on last page. You state oh my these parts dont need replacing. Truth is majority of people on this forum do not have the knowledge or equipment you have to pull a long block swap it out. Not to mention the know how to take off a 25k front case or pully inspect it and know its good. Truth be told if one assumes they read a forum and can tell by looking ok but i seriously doubt one is going to pay a shop 2k for installation etc just to want to keep certain parts to save money and end of having a bad frontcase and have to get it pulled again more money. Its cheaper to go ahead and have peace of mind of it all being brand new with no fear of wear and tear or even blow your new motor then what because you wanted to save 550 dollars. The reason it seems fine to you is that you do your own work so if it fails you can pull it and change it. Not to mention if you blew your motor i would not be surprised if you couldnt just buy replacement parts and put it back together again the average joe cant so why take the risk of maybe saving some money. Any real shop will tell you to change all those parts out I mentioned from day one

Last edited by RockmanX; Sep 20, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by neonglh
Going by the your statistics, 2 out of 2. If you open it up to the community, we don't know how many bad or how many sold.

I can tell you that if you asked the same question from Buschur, it would be 0 out of unknown.
Fantasy land much?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rico91stang
What is wrong with sbr?
There rep has been trashed for a LONG TIME imo

BTW I won't even get started on the threads on the DSM forums

These are just on evom

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ing-worst.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ng-review.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...mike-huml.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...me-4000-a.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...oy-racing.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ils-again.html
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
OP -- I suggest you call around and get price quotes as much of the info in this thread is pretty bogus.

RnR a motor is $1500 flat fee at BR, includes fluids, shop expenses, etc.

Its not out of the question to have a full BR what ever installed and out the door for under 6000.

Ask me how I know.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

If any shop is getting paid 2K to swap a shortblock in a perfectly running car and they cant tell you if these parts are good or bad I would certainly take the car elsewhere. It is not rocketscience. I understand the point to not cheap out but replacing pulleys and oil coolers and oil pumps on motors that have no issues is just throwing good money down the toilet. Use that $1000 and upgrade other parts. If the shop doesnt inpsect all parts before installing a new engine they are doing you a DISSERVICE! Even new parts can fail! If the motor has failed in a manner that could damage the oil pump and contaminate the cooler and such then by all means replace it. But just doing it for the hell of it is silly.

Originally Posted by RockmanX
I would like to respond to batty on last page. You state oh my these parts dont need replacing. Truth is majority of people on this forum do not have the knowledge or equipment you have to pull a long block swap it out. Not to mention the know how to take off a 25k front case or pully inspect it and know its good.......... Any real shop will tell you to change all those parts out I mentioned from day one
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Don't go SRB. I would give ER a call

Mikey
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:05 PM

Ihave recently purchased a 2.3L short block from SBR and shipped to Australia. From there it was pulled apart and reassembled. The engine builder found nothing wrong with what SBR had done, but he did change the bearings that come with the Manley kit to ACL race series bearings.

I think what some of you yanks are doing is getting a block and simply bolting a head on and therefore breaks. You do realise you need to have the head and block "matched" up don't you?? Check the clearances etc by someone who knows what they are doing before simply bolting it all up and expecting it to work.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:42 PM

I recently pulled the motor out of my car to do a 2.3 build after spinning a rod bearing. Honestly the costs are a lot cheaper if you send your block out to be machined with the internals purchased seperatly. There is nothing wrong with doing this and your downtime shouldnt be much longer. If you send your internals block and head out all at once you will get it back all at one time. You will definately be paying a lot more for an assembled shortblock. Just do research on reliable and good matching internals and you will have a solid motor for probably half the price. I am doing my own labor but Im sure its a lot cheaper still with labor.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CORZA
Ihave recently purchased a 2.3L short block from SBR and shipped to Australia. From there it was pulled apart and reassembled. The engine builder found nothing wrong with what SBR had done, but he did change the bearings that come with the Manley kit to ACL race series bearings.

I think what some of you yanks are doing is getting a block and simply bolting a head on and therefore breaks. You do realise you need to have the head and block "matched" up don't you?? Check the clearances etc by someone who knows what they are doing before simply bolting it all up and expecting it to work.

+1 should always get it taken apart by a professional to ensure its all parts your paying for amd assembly was good. LOL just hope it was balanced

Quick Reply: Off the shelf built short block options