Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Balance shaft stuck after oil pump install??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed bc elim kit.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the replies. I never said I wasn't able to remove the balance shafts, its just that I am unable to fit the special tool in to remove the bearings from the rear (or left) balance shaft. Also, my client does not have sufficient funds to completely remove the engine.

I've been in an EVO without balance shafts that was unbalanced; the dash had a pretty good vibration to it. I explained that to my client, but he does not want any vibration at all. I'd rather keep him happy and find an alternative to removing the balance shafts.

Last edited by D-VO; Sep 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you cant get in there to remove the bearings and replace them with block off bearings you dont have enough room to properly replace the bearings to make the balance shafts work either. There is no special tool to remove the bearings for the balance shaft. You use the one shaft to knock the bearings out and use it to pound the block off bearings in. If you cant handle this task you should hand the job off to someone who can do it right.

Originally Posted by D-VO
Thanks for all the replies. I never said I wasn't able to remove the balance shafts, its just that I am unable to fit the special tool in to remove the bearings from the rear (or left) balance shaft. Also, my client does not have sufficient funds to completely remove the engine.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
If you cant get in there to remove the bearings and replace them with block off bearings you dont have enough room to properly replace the bearings to make the balance shafts work either. There is no special tool to remove the bearings for the balance shaft. You use the one shaft to knock the bearings out and use it to pound the block off bearings in. If you cant handle this task you should hand the job off to someone who can do it right.
Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had a chance to get back there and try your trick, and yes there is a special tool:

MB991603 and
MD998705

Using the balance shaft to knock the bearings out does sound sketchy, but I'm out of options. Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I meant to say there is no NEED for the special tool. You need the special tool to install the new bearings that are going to support a balance shaft properly. The install is the hard part.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Aha! I see what you mean about using the right balance shaft for the bearing removal. I was able to locate a special tool from one of the local shops, but it was a bit shoddy and ended up doing damage to the new bearing on the way in. F-bombs!! I was able to talk the guy into getting a stubby shaft. Thanks for the help.