Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Changing up my fuel system a bit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing up my fuel system a bit

So, for those of you who don't know my fuel system in Lana, it is a 4 gallon Summit fuel cell with 2 -8 lines coming off of it. They go through pre-pump filters then Y into a -12 line, which feeds my FueLab Prodigy 41402 pump. The pump then feeds a -10 line to a post-pump filter, up to my rail, which has 4 1600cc Precision injectors, and then back via the return regulator and -8 AN line to my cell again.

I was having some intermittent fuel pump issues where it would not prime sometimes, so while the pump is being replaced, we are going to switch up the setup a little bit. Emery had a great idea to put the pump under the car, so that it is below the fuel level. Both Weldon and FueLab say that you can have the pump above the fuel level, but it is one more potential problem for losing prime in the fuel system.

The new setup will have one pre-pump filter, instead of 2, and then eliminate the Y fitting and some extra weight. Directly after the filter, will be the pump under and behind the fuel cell, under the car. This will not only keep a constant supply of fuel to the pump at all times, but it will also keep the pump much cooler. The pump flows WAY more fuel than a Walbro 255 pump, so it actually heats up the fuel pretty quickly. Being in the trunk, the FueLab pump wasn't getting any air flow, and while it was not burning hot to the touch, it did warm up quite a bit.

This new setup should be lighter, cooler, and easier to work with. If all goes to plan, it will be all ready for the Letchworth picnic this coming weekend :tup:

-mark
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Finished everything up on the fuel system today up at the shop. Eliminated about 5 fittings, a filter, a few brackets, and re-did the system so that the pre-pump filter and the pump are always below the fuel line. Here's a shot from under the car, muscle car style fuel

Much better!

--mark
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

i would make some kind of shield/slid plate kinda thing for it. cool otherwise
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow nice!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
i would make some kind of shield/slid plate kinda thing for it. cool otherwise
I want as much air to flow over it as possible, to keep it cool. It's not the lowest thing on the car, the rear end is still lower, so I am not too worried. This car gets driven on the track, and sometimes the highway

--mark