Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX turbo install on Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan169
....As far as the o2 sensor goes ive been doing it out of the car but unfortunately my 22mm wrench isn't very long Its almost shorter then my 14mm wrench. So I need to find something else to do that with maybe? Ive been giving it healthy portions of PB power blaster and wrenching on it as hard as I can while still being careful. Ive already broke a few bolts from being too aggressive....Breaker bar used with care = lifesaver.
Have you tried a 22mm O2 sensor socket with your breaker bar?

EDIT: Snap-on has a nice one(YA9385), that is 1/2" drive, which you can use with an impact wrench. Or you can get one from Advanced Auto parts, or Napa, etc. I like the Snap-on socket although it is pricey. It is impact strength and has an external 1&1/4" hex at the top of the socket for applying leverage with an extra long wrench.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 22, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Excellent question. I would have and it will most likely work but the sears and autozone in my area dont have an O2 sensor socket. I know they both list them on their website but they dont seem to have them on the shelves and when I ask about them they stare at me blankly and think im asking them for a standard 22mm socket. Dumb....

Ill try a few other places as purchasing one of these sockets would prove useful even in the future.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Update so far.

I was able to get the O2 sensor out with a 9$ socket from autozone and a large breaker bar no problem. Broke it loose and it came out with ease threads and all.

Everything went back on no problem any all is well. I did a boost leak test and and all of the piping and couplers were leak free. I did however finally find a leak at my injectors. (on the intake manifold side) I have been hearing a leak from here for a while and finally found it. They leak pretty good at 10psi. I found a few threads on this issue and it seems to be a common place for a leak. I thought I have taken care of all of the "common" places. TB shaft seals etc. Napa seems to have a seal kit for them that a member used with good results. I try to get those on there after work and see where that leaves me.

Thoughts on the turbo: The car is much much smoother stronger and responsive only at 18psi! This is comparing it to my VIII turbo at 24psi. So once I get the leak fixed and I turn the boost back up and check my tune hopefully I will be in for a surprise. The turbo/htoside/Megan O2 defiantly made a difference over my previous stock setup. A few small issues need to be fixed and the tune may need to be tweaked and overall it was a good upgrade.

Side note: the car actually sounds a bit different as well. The spool sound is quite different, Im debating on weather this is from the SS O2 housing or the IX turbo.

Ethan
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:05 AM

Sweet, I wish i've seen your thread ealier and gave you some advice. But im about to do the same thing, but with cams and injector and the full 60xxx miles maintnence. Keeep us posted after the tune.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChanseEvo8
Sweet, I wish i've seen your thread ealier and gave you some advice. But im about to do the same thing, but with cams and injector and the full 60xxx miles maintnence. Keeep us posted after the tune.
Im at 70k now. When I tunred 60k I did timing belt beehive springs GSC S2's ARP head studs head gasket etc etc. So Weve got similar setups.

Advice/comments are always welcome. What kinda of advice did you have? Or you mean on the topics that have already been covered?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:14 AM

Its was on the topic that has been covered already lol. Pb blaster and o2 sensor socket with a beaker bar works like a charm. Im wondering what numbers u will get bc im going the same route but with kelford cams.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

So this weekend I changed out the lower injector seals with some from NAPA someone had recommended from a different thread. The replacements fit well and looked like at least equal quality of the OEM ones. Checked for boost leaks after the quick install and no leaks to be found. The system was actually so tight it blew my tester off the inlet! I usually crank it down pretty good to prevent such a thing. Anyway Ive never not had some minor leak somewhere.

First impression of driving sans boost leaks.....Holy crap. That car hasnt kicked my *** like that in a long time. The thing is absolutely out of control now. It pulls ridiculously hard in all gears and doesnt stop. Im sure this is all a mixture of the 10.5 hotside/SS O2 housing/IS turbo and of course the fixed boost leak.

When I installed the IX turbo, before I even started the car I turned my Hallman MBC down a turn and a half to start with. I was previously at 22psi peak with my VIII turbo. I start logging with the IX turbo and the new hallman settting (still with the boost leak here) and am peaking 18 sometimes 19psi, I fix the leak 23-24psi! This turbo seems to just wake up at 20psi!

Anyway I thoguht I would share what my feeling where on this whole process thus far. I am still "untuned" for all the additions but I plan to have another go at tuning the car myself. I kept fighting with weird knock issues last time and I feel that now all leaks are fixed I should be a little bit more successful.

-Ethan