Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

****HELP!!! A/C blows HOT air at WOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
****HELP!!! A/C blows HOT air at WOT!!!

I had a drag race with an M5 a month ago when suddenly my AC compressor decided to let go! I ended up replacing it with another one while being told by two people that:

1- It might have let go due to over revving the engine (even while being on BBK-Full with 7500 RPM max)
2- Might have gone wrong due to the huge power (running 28+psi on pump with all supporting mods)

Two days later the same problem came on while I was on the highway but in a slightly different way!! It was getting hot then cold, then hot for 10-15 minutes, then hot again.. I took the car back to the tuner n he told me that the compressor's pulleys had let go!!

I replaced the new A/C wth a third one then everything went fine! I even made a complete check up on all the wirings/electric relateds.

NOW, yesterday I decided to go hard on acceleration as I left the car for a vacation for 3 weeks!! I turned the A/C completely off and switched to high boost through my EBC.. Made a short run (1st to 4th with 7500RPM max) then switched back to low boost. I turned the A/C on but it started blowing hot air only even though seconds ago I had no issue at all!!! I tried every single way but hot air all the time!!!

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this or has an idea about this problem.

ThanX & appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
AC shuts off at 4500rpm
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, next time just post up before replacing something that many times. Alot of experienced tuners could have told you that it has to do with driving hard. The a/c shuts itself down to help you go fast
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

It sounded to me like he was saying even after slowing down it doesn't work. Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm thinking some clarification would be best.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by miller121mx
It sounded to me like he was saying even after slowing down it doesn't work. Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm thinking some clarification would be best.
EXACTLY!!! Even after slowing down!! Now at any RPM or any speed, even at idle, its blowing hot air!!

ThanX for the heads up miller!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would recharge your system!!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Under normal driving my car does the same thing...I will have it inspected for leaks and recharged shortly....Right now sporadic is better than no A/C until I take care of it.

I agree with above ^ - have your system recharged (unless you already did this while replacing your compressor wheel a dozen times)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:36 AM

I don't know If your situation Is the same as me but when I was tuning my car I blew the compressor but it couldnt drive at all because the pully came really loose. So I run a ac delete belt if I'm going to be running the car. Then switch it back for DD. My friend went through 4-6 compressors in two weeks! And our ac was off during races or dyno time. The tuner said we were the only people he ever seen this happening to.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Under normal driving my car does the same thing...I will have it inspected for leaks and recharged shortly....Right now sporadic is better than no A/C until I take care of it.

I agree with above ^ - have your system recharged (unless you already did this while replacing your compressor wheel a dozen times)
Do you guys mean recharging it with Freon gas??? if that so, would that be a solution? I mean I want to see whats going wrong more than just finding a temporary solution
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for help!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

well in my experience, my 0.02 take it as you will, when the ac compressor needs to be replaced you should also replace the orifice tube, cuz the compressor can shoot out particles thatll get stuck in the orifice tube, my guess is one when you removed the refrigerant you got moisture in the system, id say get the r134a dye freon, top the system off to full, get the special glasses for the dye and look for a leak
good luck
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dastallion951
well in my experience, my 0.02 take it as you will, when the ac compressor needs to be replaced you should also replace the orifice tube, cuz the compressor can shoot out particles thatll get stuck in the orifice tube, my guess is one when you removed the refrigerant you got moisture in the system, id say get the r134a dye freon, top the system off to full, get the special glasses for the dye and look for a leak
good luck
The man tells the truth- after a compressor lets go it can really crap up the system.

I'd recommend bringing it to a good shop that can check it out, clean it up (probably will end up replacing the receiver/drier) evacuate the system, pull it into a vacuum, and put the correct amount of R-134a back in
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may not be your compressor if its happening so many times even after replacing it. Have you gone out to see if your compressor is actually coming on when you turn the a/c system on? You should be able to see the compressor clutch spinning. If its not it you should check a/c high and low system pressures and see where they are at, or check to see if the compressor is getting power and has a good connection. You may be able to hook up a scan tool and see if you can pull a code on it. You can also jump power directly to the compressor while the vehicle is on and see if your compressor kicks on and then you can see if a/c blows cold again.