Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Final Drive Gear

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2003 | 06:40 AM
Silver Sponsor

New Final Drive Gear

This is one of the most cost-effective mods you can do for the S2000 (and soon, the 350Z). S2ks with a new J's racing gear set went from ~14.0 in the quarter down to 13.5.

Is there interest in a new final drive for the Evolution 8? A ~10% or so increase in the ratio would really improve acceleration, especially in the quarter mile and give 5th gear more punch. Stock final drive is 4.53, so 4.98 gears could give a significant improvement. Only drawback is a hit to highway fuel economy since revs on the highway would go up somewhat. What does everyone think?
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

I love the gearing the way it is right now. For daily driving its pretty optimal, but I can see why people would want a lower final drive for racing. It would be great option for people with raised redlines too.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Since most people will never run "top end" I think better gearing for acceleration is an excellent idea. I'm just not so sure its something I would consider doing though. Like Revelzx said, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the gears the way they are.

You might want to look at an improved gear set for the transmission itself so we can retain the 5th gear and overall final drive, but get better gearing 1st through 4th (this is where those of us with raised redlines will appreciate it most)

Now that I think about it.. I dont know that gearing in the transmission would be such a good idea.. I'm already shifting 1-2 almost immediately..
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

If you make it, i will buy it...

Ohh yea while your at it, front LSD...

Last edited by timzcat; Nov 27, 2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't you have to replace both front & rear diffs? I bet it would be pretty expensive.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Yup Diff gears in both the transaxle and the rear..
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I am pretty sure you only have to change the ring and pinion in the t-case. I am going by info from norris designs. To change the rear end ratio you change the ring and pinion in the t-case. that is what is pictured on the site. There are no pictures of the rear end diff gears and it says nothing about having to change both.

The guy i bought my evo 1 from also confirmed this. He used to rally evo 4 cars. I was asking questions concerning swapping in the 2.5 6 cylinder and was concerned about gearing matches.

The gears norris sells are lower ratio(4.111). But there is a factory ratio of 4.875 (evo8=4.529) I sure you could get a hold of them if you tryed. If I had an evo 8 I would do that in a heart beat. I love the short gearing on my two cars.

I am not positive the evo8 gears would interchange with evo4-7. I have an evo 4 tranny and t-case and compared the two when i parted out the evo 8. the trannies look indentical ffrom the outside. the t-cases mounted the same. but where different in that they changed the angle of output on the shafts. i have a hunch the gears inside would be the same.

if anyone has a broke evo 8 t-case they can ship me i would be happy to dissassemble this 4 t-case to see if the gears would work.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 27, 2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Bleh, just find me a tranny rebuilder with ***** that will solve my 4th-5th gear castration. I wish we had a 6 speed here. Personally, I think 1-4 are almost perfect. I'd want a shorter 4th, shorter 5th and make what 5th is now into 6th, then we'd be in good shape.

It ain't all ET's and trap speeds boys, some of us use that 12:1 rack for something other than parallel parking.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 12:36 PM
In Timeout

4th tops out @ 120ish so 5th is about a 35ish mph gear, has anyone gone through the gears and looked to see what the spead in each one was? I know 5th in my NSX was a dog as well but 4th would hit 140 even. I think if you add power the 4.11 maybe the way to go to use each gear better but 5th is really going to suck but if you can get 4th to say 130ish it would not be that bad.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

If you mod the car heavily you will want ot go in the other direction. Slap a big turbo on there and see how quick 140 comes up. I thnk my car is geared too short and it will do 140 in the top of 4th. When i have th tranny rebuilt by tre i will add a 10% taller 5th gear.
Old Nov 27, 2003 | 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Actually I would like a taller 5th gear. My daily commute of 140 miles is a freakin drain on the gas mileage of the Evo. I spend 139 miles on the freeway 5 days a week, and would love to get 20+ mpg out of the car. For the road racers/drag racers I totally understand the desire for a shorter 5th gear. But having driven our stage 2 kit I will need a taller 5th gear for sure!
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

You CA guys are pansies.

Get Shiv to fork over some coin for a shop Insight, this way the Evo isn't wasted on you. :P

For me, the gap between 4th and 5th is obnoxious, especially coming out of an autobahn cruiser with tons of torque, no matter what gear you were in. btdt, now I just want to be pinned back in my seat. ;-)
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 4G63>OOOO
You CA guys are pansies.

Get Shiv to fork over some coin for a shop Insight, this way the Evo isn't wasted on you. :P

For me, the gap between 4th and 5th is obnoxious, especially coming out of an autobahn cruiser with tons of torque, no matter what gear you were in. btdt, now I just want to be pinned back in my seat. ;-)
That's why I bought a new Honda Civic(38-40mPG) for my commute. However that car is so slow I nearly have an accident every day trying to get out of peoples way! Trust me when the regular 91 octane gas costs upwards of $2.30 a gallon here in the Bay Area any help is appreciated in the fuel economy of the Evo. I will more than likely put straight 96 octane in my car(available at Sears Point on my way to work) at $3.18 a gallon, and leave the 116 octane stuff for the weekends!
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DSMBRETT
Actually I would like a taller 5th gear. My daily commute of 140 miles is a freakin drain on the gas mileage of the Evo. I spend 139 miles on the freeway 5 days a week, and would love to get 20+ mpg out of the car. For the road racers/drag racers I totally understand the desire for a shorter 5th gear. But having driven our stage 2 kit I will need a taller 5th gear for sure!
Did you mean 30+ mpg? If you are getting less than 20 mpg freeway you have seriouse problems!

Also, if you want to improve fuel economy at freeway speeds ditch the CF wing. With the CF wing on a long cruise at 65 mph I get 30 mpg. At 75/80 mph I get 22 mpg (same streatch of road). This is right where the wing starts making good downforce....and lots of drag.

Keith
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 11:25 AM
In Timeout

Tell shiv to source a 4.11 or something like that so I can use 4th on the track and use 5th for the interstate.

Originally posted by DSMBRETT

That's why I bought a new Honda Civic(38-40mPG) for my commute. However that car is so slow I nearly have an accident every day trying to get out of peoples way! Trust me when the regular 91 octane gas costs upwards of $2.30 a gallon here in the Bay Area any help is appreciated in the fuel economy of the Evo. I will more than likely put straight 96 octane in my car(available at Sears Point on my way to work) at $3.18 a gallon, and leave the 116 octane stuff for the weekends!