Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dead lifter? (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh back from the dead. And holy slacking on my part. between lack of time and lack of space in the garage to work on it. (2 other car restorations in progress) At this point i will just try and do this in the home garage and bring what ever tools i need back and forth...yay...not so much. But i might as well while it is still winter and dont mind the down time.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Update on this thread...

I swapped my mivec cam gear, pulled the intake cam and checked the valve train...nothing looked aloof or askew.

Put it all back together, torqued everything down and then cranked it for a long while to build up pressure. Started it with no accessory belt on (to eliminate power steering, alternator, a/c, etc).

Noise is still there.

Now eliminated:
mivec cam gear
power steering pump
a/c pump
alternator
water pump
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When the engine work was done, was anything done to the head? After all you have checked and done I'm thinking maybe a sticky valve or tight valve guide.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am courious to see the end results on your noise quest. I have a similar noise after new piston and rod swap plus new 272 Kelford cams.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
i am having a similar (or maybe the same) problem.

Here is my noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XYrQNv6pKk

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lap-video.html

more discussion here too

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html

My sound is only happening on "combustion" though. when it rev's back down there is no sound.
I'm super confused

As discussed here, it sounds like it's coming from the intake side of the valve cover.

??
Old May 2, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evilution09
I am courious to see the end results on your noise quest. I have a similar noise after new piston and rod swap plus new 272 Kelford cams.
My final noise determination is piston slap/bad rings. A lot of play in the cylinder movement with the head off and scores on the walls up/down. Bought a new long block.

The thread starter's problem ended up being really low compression on 1 cylinder, also related to rings I believe.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

i guess i'll find out if mine is piston/ring related soon enough.
Engine is coming out as we speak
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Finally

Last edited by crckheadjed; Mar 12, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Lifter

Last edited by crckheadjed; Mar 12, 2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crckheadjed
Piston was pulled... No retaining clip was installed on that side of the piston. Engine builder forgot it. Wont say what shop as of yet until all is dealt with and fixed.
LOL. that is ridiculous
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm glad you've found the problem, and the engine shop has claimed liability.
At least you didn't destroy the whole engine!
Good Luck with getting it all together.

I'm going through similar problems with my engine, and i know how you feel! It's not fun!

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

Last edited by crckheadjed; Mar 12, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I have had similar issues with my 9 as of rescent. It all started when doing a 6th gear pull to around 250Kmh during a recent road trip (silly I know, but it was a very important pass in mountains ). It felt like I had hit the rev limiter, then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a bit of white smoke. Car ran fine for another 300-400 miles afterward until I arrived to a nearby city where I began to hear a ticking noise. It progressively got worse from there.
I took it to a nearby shop, where we drained oil, ran sea-foam engine cleaner through and put in some new heavier oil. Ticking was less audible at this point but still present.
The next day I did a full throttle pull in 2nd and 3rd gears and my car just died, I lost throttle response,and again I saw some white smoke from exhaust. I coasted to a stop and car didn't start afterwards and it sounds like one of the cylinders is down on compression when I'm trying to turn it over.

Needless to say I left the car and flew back.It should arrive next week and I with my local shop mech can tear into it to have a look.

Has anyone's ticking noise progressed so far as to car not running??

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to my old 6bolt DSM motor. I had 480 miles on it when it started making a funny noise very similar to whats going on in this thread. Pulled the motor apart and one of the clips in the piston let loose and started tapping against my cylinder wall. I won't name the shop that built it, I will say they are in PA.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbophile
Hey guys, I have had similar issues with my 9 as of rescent. It all started when doing a 6th gear pull to around 250Kmh during a recent road trip (silly I know, but it was a very important pass in mountains ). It felt like I had hit the rev limiter, then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a bit of white smoke. Car ran fine for another 300-400 miles afterward until I arrived to a nearby city where I began to hear a ticking noise. It progressively got worse from there.
I took it to a nearby shop, where we drained oil, ran sea-foam engine cleaner through and put in some new heavier oil. Ticking was less audible at this point but still present.
The next day I did a full throttle pull in 2nd and 3rd gears and my car just died, I lost throttle response,and again I saw some white smoke from exhaust. I coasted to a stop and car didn't start afterwards and it sounds like one of the cylinders is down on compression when I'm trying to turn it over.

Needless to say I left the car and flew back.It should arrive next week and I with my local shop mech can tear into it to have a look.

Has anyone's ticking noise progressed so far as to car not running??

Thanks
Sounds like a spun rod bearing, blown motor.