Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dead lifter? (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead lifter? (vid inside)

Recently built my motor everything sounded great, after about 300 miles sounded like a lifter was going bad. After about 400miles the car sat for a little while (about 2 months), then drove it again and it seems worse now. Its in between shift/when rev's drop is the worse. idle seems okay, low rpm accel seems fine higher rpms can hear it.

How can you diagnose a specific lifter that has gone bad? Or is this replace all and hope its gone hah

**more videos posted on pages 2 and 3**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCKyTXhE3tY

Last edited by crckheadjed; Oct 19, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

That's what it sounds like. Pull the valve cover and push on the rocker arms to see if the lifters go down with some hand pressure.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
That's what it sounds like. Pull the valve cover and push on the rocker arms to see if the lifters go down with some hand pressure.
When pushing on them should they compress? Or how do I tell which is bad and good?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know the sound, but it doesn't sound like you should run it until it's fixed
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crckheadjed
When pushing on them should they compress? Or how do I tell which is bad and good?
They shouldn't compress. If one's collapsed it'll have movement.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

i wont be driving the car till it is fixed, do not want to damage anything (like cams). I'll be going to the garage today and pulling the valve cover, i'll let you know what i find.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Also just ordered a set of JAM lifters, will be installing these no matter what.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Keep clean oil in your motor with a good filter (amsoil baby). What happens is dirt or sludge will get trapped in your lifter and cause the spring to break therefore collapsing the lifter.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I literally just got done with doing the lifters (quicker and easier than I thought) and I did the let idle for 30 seconds rev to 3k and hold for 10 seconds a bunch of times and the noise is still there. All the lifters I had taken out did not compress (all solid). Either way I'm not disappointed I put the JAM set in, but now the question is what's making the noise?

What I did notice right now is taking the spark plugs out 1 & 2 were a little wet (smelled like gas) 3 & 4 were a good brownish color. So could this be a consistant detonation from being far to rich? (Possible leaking injector, or needs some tuning)

Any ideas? Or suggestions?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a dead lifter, Makes a ****ty sound when I start the car after its been sitting, but when it runs for a few seconds the lifter charges back up and the noise goes away. I also replaced mine yet still get a little more lifter tick then I like...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check you PCV valve i have seen many instances where lifter noises have been confused by the rear valve cover to intake manifold PCV valve.

unplug it from the intake mani and cap the intake mani so your engine doesnt iddle funny , this way you can troubleshoot the valve.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
check you PCV valve i have seen many instances where lifter noises have been confused by the rear valve cover to intake manifold PCV valve.

unplug it from the intake mani and cap the intake mani so your engine doesnt iddle funny , this way you can troubleshoot the valve.
+1...

Andy - I need some Amsoil
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Ok more time at the garage, I unplugged the line that goes from intake to pcv valve and capped it, now my idle seems to be a lot better. Sound was minimal until it got warm, then the noise came back.

So onto the next step, I was still thinking of the wet plugs, and now a CEL for rich condition. So maybe bad injector, so I moved the injectors around and it seems the noise moved as well. So I'm gonna borrow a set from a friend see if the noise goes away when I replace them.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Weird...I have the same noise but not as loud. Still pretty loud though. Only does it during cold start ups. I dont think it's my injectors as they are fairly new.
Let me know what you find.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Okay swapped out the injectors with a set my buddy let me use. Not the problem. Still sounds as if its coming from lifters (rear, timing belt side). Is it possible that there are lifters that are not getting enough oil?

When changing lifters should oil squirt out of the top hole when pushing every new lifter in? Or is it normal if some dontand others do?

Please any advice, tips, info, suggestions is appreciated. I can take more videos if need be.

Last edited by crckheadjed; Oct 13, 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead lifter? (vid inside)