Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best street friendly clutch/flywheel (least pedal pressure, most holding power)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the ACT XD/2600 with a street disk take 500whp? Im interested in the Exedy twin, however I've used ACT clutches and like them. If the pedal pressure isnt too much and if it can handle the power goal of 500whp, then I will probably go with an ACT XD.

I will PM your buddy about the Exedy twin though and see what he can do.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

guys the OS GIKEN STR twinplate is THE lightest clutch avail.... 900kg pressure plate, ang the intire assembly weighs likw 24 pounds with the flywheel
Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D Grade
Can the ACT XD/2600 with a street disk take 500whp? Im interested in the Exedy twin, however I've used ACT clutches and like them. If the pedal pressure isnt too much and if it can handle the power goal of 500whp, then I will probably go with an ACT XD.

Do a search on act clutches on here...you will find about a million threads where they lock people out of gear at higher rpm once they have been driven awhile....every act i've ever driven had a heavy pedal and every motor i've taken apart that had been driven a long time with an act clutch had the thrust washers beat to hell...I'd do an exedy twin with the hd pressure plate personally....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

The OS Giken looks promising:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/giken...n-p-16316.html

Hows the reviews on it? Because of the cost, now Im leaning back to an Exedy Twin.

Reaction, I have seen some of the reviews. Unfortunate to hear thats been a common case, which I thought wasnt. I guess my mind is swayed back to the more expensive option again which is an Exedy Twin. I assume you're using a Tilton with 800+whp on tap?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock clutch can hold 500whp if you don't drag race it, same with the ACT MB7-HDSS. It's torque that matters anyway. The stocker was fine for me at 427ft/lbs but I don't slip the clutch/drag race it.

If your going to drag race keep looking at the twin plates.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

exedy twin sd

fork stop
Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reaction, I have seen some of the reviews. Unfortunate to hear thats been a common case, which I thought wasnt. I guess my mind is swayed back to the more expensive option again which is an Exedy Twin. I assume you're using a Tilton with 800+whp on tap?
i was using a tilton but i got tired of the harsh engagement...now im using an exedy triple...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Boostedwrx, thanks for the info. Ill play it safe and upgrade now. Like I said, I want to build a solid street car that'll do just about anything and take the abuse. The Exedy is looking to be my choice being able to hold 600lb/tq!

Andrew, thanks alot for those links! Looks like Ill be ordering from Buschur!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:46 AM

I dont mean to steal the thread but what about the clutch masters twin disc clutch would it be good for daily driving ?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:21 PM

I have exedy triple. I love this clutch, it is very good to drive on the street and very nice pedal feel.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

I just went with the ACT HDTTP which is SUPPOSEDLY (who really knows) modded by TTP to not lock out. Haven't had any issues with it yet, and it feels almost like stock. From what I've read, it only seems that lockouts happen when you don't adjust the clutch pedal to engage higher (very easy to diy) and are much more likely when you redline higher than 7,000 rpm.

It's a judgment call, but I haven't had any problems yet.

P.S. ALWAYS use a new oem throw out bearing when doing clutch work.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

The ACT comes with a TOB and it seems to be working fine so far. English didn't have anything bad to say about it afaik.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the ACT MB7-HDSS with gruppe-s lightweight flywheel.

Feels like stock, grabs liek stock, and my 90lb 5' gf daily drives the car to school/shop, etc.

I was in the same boat as you, and I LOVE the ACT thus far, have had it in for 8 months and 6k miles with 0 issues.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
im running exedy twin. i hardly get any sound except for an odd scraping that i believe is from some odd wear i got in an unusual circumstance. i did also a light chattering when im slowing down but it happens whether im in neutral or in gear and typically at a specific speed so im not entirely convinced it's the clutch. i do have some light "typical" clutch chattering but it sounds more like a light static or something rather than marbles rolling around in the drivetrain
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

I remember having that same sound in my MKIV with an RPS dual carbon clutch. However the MKIV Supra gets loud once an aftermarket clutch is in there. THe stock Getrag/Toyota clutch has a dampening plate or something of that nature that silences the noise. Didnt bother me much, but then again my MKIV was running straight unmolested 4" piping from the 72mm turbo back and HKS 272's, so hearing it wasnt noticable in the first place.

Still leaning towards the Exedy, havent decided fully yet though.

Hey Boostedwrx, how long did Lucas and the gang take on your clutch and how much did they charge? I planned on using them and making the drive down south as well.

Quick Reply: Best street friendly clutch/flywheel (least pedal pressure, most holding power)?