Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best street friendly clutch/flywheel (least pedal pressure, most holding power)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best street friendly clutch/flywheel (least pedal pressure, most holding power)?

Hi all,

Im looking at my clutch options as Im preparing to upgrade shortly. Due to being deployed the past year, Ive really fallen out of place with best clutches and flywheels for the street. I've had experiences with ACT clutches in Hondas and DSM's, as well as an RPS dual carbon clutch in my old MKIV Supra. Both brands were great for me regardless of the excessive pedal pressure. The reason I need a light pedal pressure this time around first and foremost is that my 4'11" 90lb wife drives the car as well.

So with that being said, which clutch would be the best for a street driven Evo that will probably never see a tick above 500whp that retains a near stock pedal pressure feel? Ofcourse smooth engagement is a plus as well as the occasional abuse from visits to the track or drag strip. Most important factor is the pedal pressure and engagement.

Also while Im doing the clutch, which billet flywheels should I look at? Im assuming 10lbs or more will keep it street/drag friendly? Also is there anything else to consider replacing at the time? My Evo IX only has 24K on it, so she's still pretty fresh. Perhaps a steel braided clutch line? Anything else?

Last edited by D Grade; Oct 2, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Best bet would probally be a exedy twin disc standard.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the exedy twin comes with a flywheel. I'd think about getting a fork stop and braided line.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
Best bet would probally be a exedy twin disc standard.
yup
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I believe the exedy twin comes with a flywheel. I'd think about getting a fork stop and braided line.
Ok, thanks guys. I will research the Exedy twin disk now. Where can I find the fork stop? Im sure I can find the braided line somewhere.

Also, I see that its a pull type clutch, I assume thats good? I should probably invest in a throw out bearing at the same time. Will OEM work?

Last edited by D Grade; Oct 2, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATS Tripple will hold more power then an Exedy and feel almost like stock.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Yes you need an oem bearing. Just did my exedy twin hd yesterday and found out my throwout bearing was just about welded in from excess heat. Plus when you put in a $1700 clutch and pay labor on it whats another 70 bux to get a new throwout bearing.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to drag the car get a twin, if not stick with a single plate.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

It will be an occasional drag car. My plan is to build a very well balanced street Evo that can hold its own on the street, strip, and the track. I looked up the Exedy hyper twin (which is the only "twin" disk clutch I managed to find by Exedy), and the price is pinching the wallet at about $1600-$1700. Thats probably the most Im willing to pay, actually more than what I was planning. However Ill do it for a clutch that will hold just about anything I can throw at it up to around the 500whp mark, yet still be streetable engagement wise and pedal pressure wise.

The ATS triple is probably way overkill for what Im asking for and probably a good margin of cost over even the Exedy Hyper twin Im looking at now.

What about a Carbonetics single disk? Whats the holding power and pedal pressure like?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

i have a act xtss, pressure wise i couldnt tell from stock. maybe a tad bit stiffer. im making 505awhp and 440wtq. and only $480-520 for the clutch and 399 installed.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have ACT HDSS not to stiff, great for street use.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thats interesting. The ACT Xtreme clutches I used in my DSM's had massive pedal pressure, which I dont mind but I know the wife wouldnt be able to comfortably drive it. Whats the best price I can find the XD and HD? Also whats the holding power on the two? I assume the XD will be classified as the 2600 and the HD the 2100? I would probably be more comfortable with the 2600 as long as pedal pressure isnt an issue.

Also a question I still an answer to, which fork stop should I upgrade to and where to buy from?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

*Double Post*

Last edited by D Grade; Oct 3, 2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
PM EmeryatSTM

Ask him how much he can get you an Exedy Twin for. They're listed on STM's website for $1625, and I'll bet he can get it for you cheaper. I bought my Exedy Triple from STM. Awesome clutch at a great price. After driving on an Exedy Triple, I wouldn't even think about running a different clutch.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:05 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy twin disk is worth the money. Its a very light pedal. But it does make some noise and very quick engagement .

Quick Reply: Best street friendly clutch/flywheel (least pedal pressure, most holding power)?