Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep trans 5th gear grinding!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
if you guys with grinding have the evo9, do you guys have the evo8 4th gear or evo9 4th gear? and also plz specify if you've got an 8 or 9 if its not listed in your info
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is Great!!!
FML. Love throwing money in the garbage. I paid all this money so i dont have to look at my tranny ever again.. 4Th Gear grind here.. Can't even enjoy the car the way it's supposed to..
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63K
This is Great!!!
FML. Love throwing money in the garbage. I paid all this money so i dont have to look at my tranny ever again.. 4Th Gear grind here.. Can't even enjoy the car the way it's supposed to..
6speed difference is different from the 5 speed service though - what kind of driving is the car seeing?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
6speed difference is different from the 5 speed service though - what kind of driving is the car seeing?
I Have a 5 Speed swap in the car.

The car is being daily driven on stock boost levels and stock tune.

Been to the track once.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63K
I Have a 5 Speed swap in the car.

The car is being daily driven on stock boost levels and stock tune.

Been to the track once.
scary. what fluid are you using?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamahar1
I have heard this to many times.............I say BS! sorry but I pay $3000 for a built tranny I should NOT have to let nothing take it's time. Not trying to be rude just i'm out 3k and the stock tranny shifted better then this crap I have now
You ask a question, get the answer multiple times, and then call it BS?

Last edited by gottf257; Oct 6, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

mine felt really bad in the beginning actually.. feels great now, better than stock. forget how many miles but no grinds or anything to speak of
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:12 PM

scary

Man, this stuff is getting scary. I just got my transmission back from sheptrans. Got everything back together, and fluid levels back to where they need to be. Took it for a drive. Within two miles, i had a loud whine. Sounds like it is coming from the transfer case. Didnt have a problem before. Really hope its not the trans tho.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Did you put fluid in the Tcase?? lol
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gottf257
You ask a question, get the answer multiple times, and then call it BS?
I didn't ask any questions.......search on the forums and you will see this isn't the only thread about this.

Maybe I should have asked questions then I might have not had to have the tranny rebuilt a 2nd time and would have had it done right the first time.

Yes I call it BS....If it is built right you shouldn't have to "Baby into 5th gear so that it doesn't grind" "Use a special tranny fluid so that it doesn't grind or mess up the tranny" "Use only Exedy twin or tripple disk clutches cause all other clutches SUCK".

But it's ok now I have my Jack's tranny with my CRAPPY carbonetics twin and it shift perfect everytime
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Shep trans wired thing it grinds 3rd gear bad just sitting still in the driveway not moving at all I have a exert tripple and I adjusted the clutch just how jacks transmission says to is the Trans my problem or could it be my clutch I think if it was the clutch it would do it every gear correct someone please help me
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

need some input on this guys bump
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Bump it up
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for those with a 5th gear grind are you experiencing this when shifting fast into 5th?
Is this on an evo 8 trans or a 9 trans?

For those with a 4th grind did you have an 9 and go to an 8 4th gear then get the grind?

Thanks,

Jon @ TRE is not responding and has no room in his voicemail.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamahar1
I didn't ask any questions.......search on the forums and you will see this isn't the only thread about this.

Maybe I should have asked questions then I might have not had to have the tranny rebuilt a 2nd time and would have had it done right the first time.

Yes I call it BS....If it is built right you shouldn't have to "Baby into 5th gear so that it doesn't grind" "Use a special tranny fluid so that it doesn't grind or mess up the tranny" "Use only Exedy twin or tripple disk clutches cause all other clutches SUCK".

But it's ok now I have my Jack's tranny with my CRAPPY carbonetics twin and it shift perfect everytime
Actually yes you do need to break in a tranny or t-case. All the bearings are fresh and need to bed in before seeing abuse. I have a Shep trans and T-case and they both work PERFECTLY.

My first clutch with the Shep trans was an Exedy twin HD. POS. Went bad in less than 3k miles. And yes, I do know how to drive and it was installed correctly. A few launches and it was done one night at the track.

Moving on....Every builder is gonna SUGGEST a certain fluid. FP says not to use Mobil 1 oil while running their turbo's. I think I'm gonna listen when a professional tells me something about their OWN PRODUCT!

Shep has been in the game for a long time and has built reputation. All the fastest EVO's run his trans for a reason. I know there are other good trans builders out there. I'm just sayin.....

My Shep trans has been wonderful and worked like a dream since DAY ONE. I'm close to 33k miles on my trans. I've lauched the **** out of my car numerous times. The only thing I have changed is I switched back to Diaqueen for my Shep t-case. I use Redline MT90 with one quart of lightweight shockproof in the trans. The trans has been smooth since the first night I picked the car up. I had the new clutch at the time so I had to break that in so that served as break in for the trans as well.

So before you go talking crap about someone who is well deserving of credit think twice. Its great that you have a Jack trans that works for you...awesome. I'm not saying that Shep build a perfect trans EVERY time but he stands behind his work.

Quick Reply: Shep trans 5th gear grinding!