Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep trans 5th gear grinding!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Actually yes you do need to break in a tranny or t-case. All the bearings are fresh and need to bed in before seeing abuse. I have a Shep trans and T-case and they both work PERFECTLY.

My first clutch with the Shep trans was an Exedy twin HD. POS. Went bad in less than 3k miles. And yes, I do know how to drive and it was installed correctly. A few launches and it was done one night at the track.

Moving on....Every builder is gonna SUGGEST a certain fluid. FP says not to use Mobil 1 oil while running their turbo's. I think I'm gonna listen when a professional tells me something about their OWN PRODUCT!

Shep has been in the game for a long time and has built reputation. All the fastest EVO's run his trans for a reason. I know there are other good trans builders out there. I'm just sayin.....

My Shep trans has been wonderful and worked like a dream since DAY ONE. I'm close to 33k miles on my trans. I've lauched the **** out of my car numerous times. The only thing I have changed is I switched back to Diaqueen for my Shep t-case. I use Redline MT90 with one quart of lightweight shockproof in the trans. The trans has been smooth since the first night I picked the car up. I had the new clutch at the time so I had to break that in so that served as break in for the trans as well.

So before you go talking crap about someone who is well deserving of credit think twice. Its great that you have a Jack trans that works for you...awesome. I'm not saying that Shep build a perfect trans EVERY time but he stands behind his work.
Hey that's great news that a shep tranny works
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the taller 4th gear from an Evo 8 would fix the fifth gear synchro problem. Also what clutch isnt hard on the trans?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Just to add to this..... I have had 2 shep trannys. Both didnt last long, 2-3K miles. Syncro issues. Shep also told me "it was my clutch" and then told me the next go round "your engine is causing you syncros to wear"....... I mean really? He seems like a shady character to me so i am not doing business with him anymore. Furthermore, I took my tranny apart myself the second time. It had maybe 2K miles on it, drag raced 1 time. The syncros were trashed! I sent it to him and he rebuilt it, for $900 of course. I asked for my old syncros back and he sent me some that looked 10 times better than mine did. My guess is he didnt want me to show how thrashed mine were to anyone.
I could keep going but i wll leave it at that.

I just sent my tranny to jacks transmission. Crossing my fingers that it will be better. I talked to Tim at jacks and he seems like a straight up guy. He answered all my questions and didnt dodge them like shep would. I told Tim all the problems i had and he was convinced he could fix it all.
So, I told him i am gonna hold him to it and if it craps out i will be forced to bring the tranny to him in person and thats like 1500 miles from me. LOL

Last edited by browningderek; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

please give us an update when you install the trans
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is the same story... 5th syncro went out after a couple thousand miles and had lockout problems in 2nd and grinding in 4th above 7k rpms but I blame the lockout and 4th grinding on my clutch. Fast forward a few thousand miles and this was on my drain plug...

Hello Mr. 3rd gear syncro
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^Dang!!!!! I have also a Shep 5-speed swap. 5th grinds. Had an Exedy triple. I think it was the clutch not disengaging properly. Now I have QM twin ofcourse still have the grind. Using Amsoil now. Had Redline before. I would love to get that sucker fixed. But damn thats a lot if work.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's best to do the 3rd and 4th gear out of an VIIIif you have a IX. My 5th was grinding when I sent mine in for the rebuild.