Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What a broken 6 speed looks like..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just curious to the "why" this happend. If the vehicles were bone stock, and this happend? You can't blame torque load for the damage. So it seems its just defective peices. Who makes this 6 speed anyway? If its made in China Im going to be pissed!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:49 AM

At the end you find how broking@4th occures (click youtube, then you find it easy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1ZjIJTg20
I didn't change gear there, but probably 585hp and 6speed isn't very good choise.
Does sheppard send 6 speed inside out, whole gear box weights too much to send overseas?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:37 AM

Here it what it looks, 4th gear gears are toothless, it seem's that to get from US new 6 speed gear box is quite hard and expensive, so I need to go with 5 speed, what somebody says is stronger

Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:17 AM

im new to the evo forum... ive been searching and searching and i would like to know if this would happen if a MR 6spd is stock or maybe a little bolt on, would the transmission go bad or anything because im planning to buy a MR soon and i dont plan on tracking it or anything like that but maybe occassionally push it to the limit... stock wise, would my transmission go out? because i read on forums and im not sure if this applies to people who have stock or modded evo 9 MR... but it would make sense that Heavily mod MR would have this problem vs the stock or mild bolt on? can anyone help me or PM me some ideas so that i can have a piece of mind before buying this MR i have in mind... thanks in advance
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.C2
im new to the evo forum... ive been searching and searching and i would like to know if this would happen if a MR 6spd is stock or maybe a little bolt on, would the transmission go bad or anything because im planning to buy a MR soon and i dont plan on tracking it or anything like that but maybe occassionally push it to the limit... stock wise, would my transmission go out? because i read on forums and im not sure if this applies to people who have stock or modded evo 9 MR... but it would make sense that Heavily mod MR would have this problem vs the stock or mild bolt on? can anyone help me or PM me some ideas so that i can have a piece of mind before buying this MR i have in mind... thanks in advance
The achilles heel is 4th thru 6th gear. They are not so strong. The 6-speed will last forever when used on the street at stock power levels. I think its fair to say that it would last forever on the street up to ~400 ft-lbs torque and 500 whp.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
The achilles heel is 4th thru 6th gear. They are not so strong. The 6-speed will last forever when used on the street at stock power levels. I think its fair to say that it would last forever on the street up to ~400 ft-lbs torque and 500 whp.
Thanks for the reply mrfred, i apperciate that help and some sort of knowledge in it. I mean i dont think imma be producing more than 400 Tq or get close to 500WHP any time soon. i just want to be able to have a piece of mind that my transmission not gonna go bad or fail on me when i drive it normal and possibly and occasionally speed/push it to the limit from time to time, and also maybe long trip to the mountains etc... so correct me if im wrong, so if my car is stock or has light bolt ons/ tune (exhaust, header, cams, etc), my transmission will be good in the long run, just not to excess 400 tq and 500 whp... like i said i dont intend on doing anything soon beside lowering it and not even bolt ons just yet but would like to know for future reference...

i havent got a solid answer just yet, all i know is people who have MR 6speed either abused it such as put a lot of power into it, track race it, launch it, drag racing it like crazy... As for me im not going in that direction and leaving it stock to light bolt ons... Will i be fine in the long run, running stock/light bolt-ons?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.C2

i havent got a solid answer just yet, all i know is people who have MR 6speed either abused it such as put a lot of power into it, track race it, launch it, drag racing it like crazy... As for me im not going in that direction and leaving it stock to light bolt ons... Will i be fine in the long run, running stock/light bolt-ons?
Warrtalon who drag raced frequently and was a very active member on EvoM had over 130 quarter miles passes on MR with bolt-ons and pump gas. Killing it out on mountain roads seems unlikely because presumably the driving style isn't on the edge of sanity, and there are probably very few instances were the car could be opened up in 4th gear. The only way you could kill the 6-speed with bolt-ons and pump gas is if you regularly did 20 min+ sessions out on a (circuit) track that has a straight long enough to use 4th gear. And even then, there are lots of people who are doing this without destruction.

That said, the 6-speed tends to have a notchy 1-2 shift. I can imagine that some people might not have the patience to wait to let the gear shift lever fall into 2nd gear, and this could damage to the synchros. So if you're out test driving, a notchy 1-2 should be expected (especially in colder weather), but if it grinds badly, then that would be a sign of issues.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 22, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles on the car when it broke?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:23 PM

All i can say is WOW.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I officially have over 140,000 miles on my OEM 6 speed. I have been pushing 300+whp (GST Mustang Dyno) for awhile. Still shifts pretty darn good. The Castrol Syntorq LT I have in my car eliminates the notchy 1-2 shift. Also have heard good things about the new 75W-85 from Redline.

Do plan on upgrading to the Shep 6 speed though when I do my 2.3 + FP Red build. I don't want to have to tune out the torque hit
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I officially have over 140,000 miles on my OEM 6 speed. I have been pushing 300+whp (GST Mustang Dyno) for awhile. Still shifts pretty darn good. The Castrol Syntorq LT I have in my car eliminates the notchy 1-2 shift. Also have heard good things about the new 75W-85 from Redline.

Do plan on upgrading to the Shep 6 speed though when I do my 2.3 + FP Red build. I don't want to have to tune out the torque hit
Wow 140,000... Dang that's pretty good and to know that ur transmission still good that's great, that kinda give me hope that I'm able to do the same with fluid change on time and not going crazy with it, most likely keeping it stock since its already pretty fast and don't have the money after I buy this car to tune anything up just yet... But it's good to know a fellow Evo Member to have good news about the car with power under the 350whp etc to still have a good running transmission... I would do shep 6spd to be safe on my end but I doubt I nees it since I'm not gonna be producing a lot of power anytime soon... Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
Warrtalon who drag raced frequently and was a very active member on EvoM had over 130 quarter miles passes on MR with bolt-ons and pump gas. Killing it out on mountain roads seems unlikely because presumably the driving style isn't on the edge of sanity, and there are probably very few instances were the car could be opened up in 4th gear. The only way you could kill the 6-speed with bolt-ons and pump gas is if you regularly did 20 min+ sessions out on a (Kcircuit) track that has a straight long enough to use 4th gear. And even then, there are lots of people who are doing this without destruction.

That said, the 6-speed tends to have a notchy 1-2 shift. I can imagine that some people might not have the patience to wait to let the gear shift lever fall into 2nd gear, and this could damage to the synchros. So if you're out test driving, a notchy 1-2 should be expected (especially in colder weather), but if it grinds badly, then that would be a sign of issues.
Thanks for that piece of mind, I guess I'll just take care of it for now and not do any mods just yet, just carefully baby it and drive it proper... So I guess most people who damaged there 6 Speed are people who race and put lots of power into their car... I guess I'm good on that...

As for the notchy 1-2, I'll check it out and see wassup with it.. The car I'm buying has 45k miles on it and the owner seems mature and doesn't look like he drove it hard... Anyways is there anything I should be aware of for the 6speed beside transmission before I make this purchase?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:28 AM

Is the 4th gear bad and what should I do to prevent from damaging the 4th gear?