Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synapse Engineering releases the Synchronic DV for Evolution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010 | 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Hello Eric - I did the mathematical modeling on both SB & DV- Peter

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
David,

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I'm already very familiar with the function of DVs. I was simply curious as to what the area of actuation of A+B was in regards to the valve seat itself. You answered that (A+B=valve seat, so the spring preload is the difference).

Thanks,
Eric
B>A

Although you would factor this into most any other actuator design, this does not apply to the Synchronic geometry.

On the SB design, whether or not there was a port C all came down to the mathematical effect of Port C on actuation times at any pressure. Although DV doesn't look like it has a chambered port C, it has a "mathematical" Port C that is calculated into the design. It works so well that the DV can actuate in the abscence of vacuum in a controlled test where a traditional actuator will not. Yes, there is a spring in both SB & DV, but a mere 1 psi of spring pre-load would be enough to keep it shut 30 psi, in pull or push.

I will post some charts later that show the difference between SB & DV. SB is a much more purpose built design than DV. To ease any worries, just know that even though DV is a bit slower than SB, DV is still faster than anything in the aftermarket & in many cases OE . . .
Old Oct 7, 2010 | 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Peter, thanks for the reply. A couple questions/comments if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by Synapse
B>A
Thanks. that information helps as well.

On the SB design, whether or not there was a port C all came down to the mathematical effect of Port C on actuation times at any pressure. Although DV doesn't look like it has a chambered port C, it has a "mathematical" Port C that is calculated into the design.
I 100% agree that port C on the SB or any DV will help actuation times, but I have always used a DV with a 'port C' to account for the potential pressure differential from the UICP to the IM in the conditions that I mentioned previously. It's definitely a phenomena that does happen in turbocharged cars. My whole point was that if the DV is installed in 'pull' configuration, then there is no 'port C', physically or mathematically. That's what I was simply trying to clear up and why I asked these questions on the design.

By the way, your designs are the best on the market by far and why I bought the SB in the first place. Previous to this, years ago on my DSM, I ran the Greddy type-S that had a 'port C' as well. This helped in actuation as you mentioned, as well as accounting for the pressure differential that I mention.

However, the Greddy Type-S was a diaphram based design, which was lacking, since the diaphram could tear. But the overall design was very nice, with the adjustable spring, and the port C.

When your SB came out, it blew everything out of the water (in my opinion) in terms of engineering and function of a DV. Multiple area ports at the top, a 'port C', no diaphram, etc. The only downside for me was the sheer size and now that I will be moving to California, I'm most likely going to the DV, but just wanted to get the facts straight first.

Yes, there is a spring in both SB & DV, but a mere 1 psi of spring pre-load would be enough to keep it shut 30 psi, in pull or push.
Yes, that should be the case where A+B is equal to or greater than the valve seat area and why I asked that. Thanks for the clarification.

I will post some charts later that show the difference between SB & DV. SB is a much more purpose built design than DV. To ease any worries, just know that even though DV is a bit slower than SB, DV is still faster than anything in the aftermarket & in many cases OE . . .
Great! Thanks again.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Oct 7, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2010 | 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, there is a spring in both SB & DV, but a mere 1 psi of spring pre-load would be enough to keep it shut 30 psi, in pull or push.
Couple questions relating to this I think would be helpful

1. What is the spring pressure set to by default?
2. What are the minimum and maximum pressures if adjusted all the way tight/loose?
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Installed in it as "push" and with B port only and wow. I can hear the valve working where there is "pressure differential" but that's it. It no longer effects the drivability.

Very happy with this BOV.
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Any photos of this new dv???

-Jalal
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
I currently have a Forge DV and get what I describe as an awful 'bucking' under certain conditions - most common is going up a hill, with mild throttle, vacuum to boost (0 to 10 psi). I have been told this is 'common' but never happened with the stock DV. Will the new Synapse DV solve this issue ? Thanks

PS - I am in socal and would be happy to test the product
i have the same issue with the hks just wondering a synapse can help on it ?!
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

I have some pics in this thread

http://evoempire.org/index.php?/topi..._1#entry164160
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Nice...I think I'm definitely switching to this instead of the orginal Synchronic SB that I have now.

Anyone interested in buying the orginal?
Old Oct 19, 2010 | 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Any photos of this new dv???

-Jalal
Here are a few pictures of the Evo specific DV kit.

Old Oct 19, 2010 | 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

looks like it will be a nice choice for bov
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

bump...

No Limit Motorsport has the DV in stock now. Visit this thread if you want to pick one up.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...iart-2-0t.html
Old Jan 23, 2011 | 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it looks like i may be purchasing one of these soon...bumper!
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

David / et al from Synapse - I currently have a Forge DV and when I am going up a hill, with part throttle, I get a REALLY bad bucking scenario. My only solution is to either let off the throttle, downshift and keep the RPMs > 4500, or go WOT. On flat surfaces, I very rarely, if ever, have this bucking scenario.

My questions are : (1) what is causing this (feels like the DV is opening when it shouldn't) and (2) will your SB or DV cure this / eliminate this issue ?
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cij911
David / et al from Synapse - I currently have a Forge DV and when I am going up a hill, with part throttle, I get a REALLY bad bucking scenario. My only solution is to either let off the throttle, downshift and keep the RPMs > 4500, or go WOT. On flat surfaces, I very rarely, if ever, have this bucking scenario.

My questions are : (1) what is causing this (feels like the DV is opening when it shouldn't) and (2) will your SB or DV cure this / eliminate this issue ?
Yep, its the valve opening and relieving boost pressure.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, its the valve opening and relieving boost pressure.
This DV still working really well for you MrFred? I am thinking about picking one up for my new turbo...

Quick Reply: Synapse Engineering releases the Synchronic DV for Evolution