Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei arms m7960

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is an OLD thread, but with the recent discoveries over at Forced Performance, I can't see going with any other "stock frame" turbo than an FP or MAP. Forced Performance or no performance!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Benja
About the best thing you can do for spool is install a Turbosmart 18 or 22psi IWG75 wastegate.
Preload to ~1/2 an eyelet and see how that goes.
Sounds like a good idea, I already got a turbosmart wastegate installed, but could you elaborate further how to set it? I assume that I have loosen it to a certain degree...correct?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
this is an OLD thread, but with the recent discoveries over at Forced Performance, I can't see going with any other "stock frame" turbo than an FP or MAP. Forced Performance or no performance!
HOLY S#&#! I didnt even look at the damn date. good eye. AGREED.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TJung
I have M7960 revised version with blue billet actuator. I am not sure how could help the other actuator. What's the point?
Revised actuator is still garbage and stuggles to hold more than low 20's at 7500rpm.

Preload the TS gate the same as any other.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Benja
Revised actuator is still garbage and stuggles to hold more than low 20's at 7500rpm.

Preload the TS gate the same as any other.
I see. My Arms is holding boost beautifully, but i not happy with the spool only
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The m7960 is a good turbo. It's well constructed and holds boost just fine. There isn't going good to be some magical brand that saves you from turbo failiure.

OP, I'm assuming.you know the trade offs from big turbo versus lag versus driving technique. At the end of the day it's wallet and taste that count-- your wallet and your taste not somebody elses.

Do the research. And if you are on the fence I would then seek fan boy to sway you with hot air because you're leaning anyway.

HTH
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:19 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for this on going Tomei ARMS thread.

List of mod completed.
85mm 8.5:1 Forged Manley Piston, Forged Manley H-Plus Conrod, Manley Crank shaft, Tomei baffle plate, STM balance shaft removal kit, ARP Studs head/Bottom/Flywheel Tomei oil thermostat, Turbosmart BOV, Fluidamper, Walbro 255, Injector Dynamic 725cc (not yet install). Open pod Blitz, Custom IC piping, OGURA Super Single, HKS downpipe and M7 3inch exhaust.

Management: Haltech PNP.

The rest: still in stock condition (cams stock evo8 MR). Probably to maintain as it is.

So, I am looking for a turbo that will spool up as fast as the stock one (as close as possible) but still make 400+hp for 2-3k RPMS and peak around 450 and do not plan any bigger and maximum to boost around 1.5bar for the limit.

Please point me in the correct direction. I need this turbo to last through tons of boosted abuse too!

Thinking about this TOMEI ARMS as this fit my budget but still open for an options.
Your input very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pangyau; Apr 25, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pangyau
Hi guys,
Thanks for this on going Tomei ARMS thread.

List of mod completed.
85mm 8.5:1 Forged Manley Piston, Forged Manley H-Plus Conrod, Manley Crank shaft, Tomei baffle plate, STM balance shaft removal kit, ARP Studs head/Bottom/Flywheel Tomei oil thermostat, Turbosmart BOV, Fluidamper, Walbro 255, Injector Dynamic 725cc (not yet install). Open pod Blitz, Custom IC piping, OGURA Super Single, HKS downpipe and M7 3inch exhaust.

Management: Haltech PNP.

The rest: still in stock condition (cams stock evo8 MR). Probably to maintain as it is.

So, I am looking for a turbo that will spool up as fast as the stock one (as close as possible) but still make 400+hp for 2-3k RPMS and peak around 450 and do not plan any bigger and maximum to boost around 1.5bar for the limit.

Please point me in the correct direction. I need this turbo to last through tons of boosted abuse too!

Thinking about this TOMEI ARMS as this fit my budget but still open for an options.
Your input very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The HKS 7460r GTII would even spool faster than the stock turbo & is capable of 450hp, but it's significantly more expensive than the Tomei.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:42 AM

NO!! DO NOT BUY THIS TURBO! its the worst piece of shizzl ive ever had on my evo!!
best you can do is to port the oem turbo!

Tomei turbo starts spool up at 4200 and looses all mid. power..
with oem turbo i could ride 6th gear all way down to 80KM/H and still have a kick in the back when i hit the accelerator!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Carbonlution
NO!! DO NOT BUY THIS TURBO! its the worst piece of shizzl ive ever had on my evo!!
best you can do is to port the oem turbo!

Tomei turbo starts spool up at 4200 and looses all mid. power..
with oem turbo i could ride 6th gear all way down to 80KM/H and still have a kick in the back when i hit the accelerator!
In my 7, Tomei Arms is spooling about 500 rpm later than stock. But midrange and top is really impressive. I hate stock top end with stock turbo. Its dyin at the top
Old Apr 26, 2014, 05:29 PM

Carbonlution,
What version of your TOMEI ARMS turbo? With the Blue revised actuator?

TJung,
How much power do you able to make with this turbo?
I believe you use the Blue revised actuator...

This make me confusing to buy or not to buy this turbo.
Some say good but some said not.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pangyau
Carbonlution,
What version of your TOMEI ARMS turbo? With the Blue revised actuator?

TJung,
How much power do you able to make with this turbo?
I believe you use the Blue revised actuator...

This make me confusing to buy or not to buy this turbo.
Some say good but some said not.
I have 431 hp and 570 Nm with HKS cams and stock tb/intake mani.
Yes, I have blue billet actuator. The spool is later than stock, but for me, the power is rising much smoother than with stock turbo. From about 3800 till redline i have still good power. Ofcourse I was expected faster spool, but with this price, I can accept this. I have stock licp and intake tube. I will change them and see if it helps.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

It's not a bad turbo, it's a durable turbo, power range is similar to any 20g sized turbo. What I hate about it is the slow spool while Tomei had falsely advertized it as similar to stock spool.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
It's not a bad turbo, it's a durable turbo, power range is similar to any 20g sized turbo. What I hate about it is the slow spool while Tomei had falsely advertized it as similar to stock spool.
Exactly. They shouldn't cheating clients like that.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a HTA green honestly, spools very quickly and makes great power and its proven, bolts up to everything fine. easy.

Quick Reply: Tomei arms m7960