Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei arms m7960

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TJung
Hello, its me again. Ive changed my stock rubber intake tube for metal one and the spool isn't any better. The sound is impressive, but i feel like the turbo spool is even worse. Is it possible? Maybe I should start with changing licp? Or leave it alone :-)

Okay so what changes did you log after that mod? By log I don't mean what you felt. You need to tune your car. TJung?.... you just upgraded your UICP? You have to do everything before the throttle body to get anything from that. Open it all up and get a tune afterward. Also a good exhaust manifold will help. That will help spool more than your UICP mod.
Old May 10, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am telling only about my feelings. I've only changed stock intake tube from maf-> turbo. I have the same custom uicp that before. So now the last stock part is licp.

Last edited by TJung; May 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 11, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, change that bad boy out. If you really want to squeeze the juice out of the turbo upgrade the throttle body and intake manifold also. But that is not exactly budget mods and not 'really' necessary. Get that LICP upgraded and let's talk tuning. I promise you will love any turbo that goes on after that.
Old May 11, 2014, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting for a Mech or Guru to intercept this thread and deposit some wisdom (BTW). Perhaps we should drop a peace offering?
Old May 11, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

No, I really like this turbo. Midrange and top end are impressive! I like also the power distribution, so now I don't think about changing this Tomei. I will change licp since I've read that is really big restriction. Just need a little more torque in 3000 - 3500 rpm, not a huge kick
Old May 19, 2014, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJung,
Any further update?
Old May 20, 2014, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

No, ive back to stock intake tube and waiting for some licp now. Didn't have time to work with the car.
Old May 29, 2014, 04:29 PM

the turbo is awesome. just the internal wastegate sucks pretty bad.

I made 420whp @ 8000rpm with 22psi on pump gas 94 + water meth. I couldn't run more boost due to the internal wastegate maxing out.

im about to install an external wastegate. turbo should do minimum 440whp+ with a EWG. it should max out at 450-460whp on stock block and pump gas

Heres my build thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hp-330wtq.html
Old May 30, 2014, 07:52 PM

DeMoNz,
Thanks for sharing.
Are you using the latest model of TOMEI ARMS with blue IWG?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by pangyau
DeMoNz,
Thanks for sharing.
Are you using the latest model of TOMEI ARMS with blue IWG?
Yes i was using the blue IWG. the large diaphram one with the big tomei logo LOL. going for a turbosmart EWG in a couple weeks
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeMoNz
Yes i was using the blue IWG. the large diaphram one with the big tomei logo LOL. going for a turbosmart EWG in a couple weeks
+1; I luv it
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

A little off thread, but you guys were talking about wastegates and preload.
I just installed an EF4 with the Turbo Smart IWG75. I tried and preloaded the WGA like 3-4 full turns, but I am only boosting around 29psi. I would like to be boosting in the 32-35 psi range. Does that mean I have to keep preloading the WGA until I reach the desired boost levels? The more I preload the harder it is to install the WGA Arm on the Flapper. How do you guys do it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by selp
I just installed an EF4 with the Turbo Smart IWG75. I tried and preloaded the WGA like 3-4 full turns, but I am only boosting around 29psi. I would like to be boosting in the 32-35 psi range. Does that mean I have to keep preloading the WGA until I reach the desired boost levels? The more I preload the harder it is to install the WGA Arm on the Flapper. How do you guys do it?

Thanks!
You need a boost control. Preload is for spool.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by selp

Thanks!
Are you just trying to increase boost? If so are you using the ECU EBC, aftermarket, or MBC? Try the controller first. If you are unable to hold boost hit the WGA for preload.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superkizuna
Are you just trying to increase boost? If so are you using the ECU EBC, aftermarket, or MBC? Try the controller first. If you are unable to hold boost hit the WGA for preload.
I am using a 5-6 year old Hallman MBC. WGA was already preloaded (IWG75 with the 23psi spring), preloaded to 25psi. Boost controller is only able to give me 2-3 psi more on top of that. I dont want to keep preloading the WGA, because I wont be able to run a 91 octane map with that high WGA Boost. I would think that if the WGA is at 25psi, I should be able to use a boost controller to raise the boost to 32-35psi.. but I am not seeing that.
So my concern/question is, do I have to keep preloading? or there is a high chance that the MBC went bad?

Regards

Quick Reply: Tomei arms m7960