Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Question : 6puck vs Exedy twin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Question : 6puck vs Exedy twin

Hi everyone -- Need ur help.

I'm fixing up my car finally have some free time on my hands. I just pulled my tranny out and found that I have 6 Puck in it, now I don't really like the clutch it's to grabby for me.
I searched few threads but didn't find exactly what i was looking for, maybe some of u guys can help me out here.

If i will go with EXEDY TWIN will engagement be the same or a lot smoother ? + pedal feel will be lighter or same as i have now.

I never drove a stock EVO with stock clutch so i can't compare them really, but this 6puck is very hard to drive in traffic.

Thanks In Advance
Marc
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just took out a Exedy twin from my car (for sale, PM me if interested). I didn't like the clutch at all for daily driving. The pedal pressure was really heavy, and engagement was grabby and loud.
I think for daily driving (if you aren't racing) you should look into a full faced disk. I put in the Exedy stage 1 and so far I love it. Still in the break in period but so far it feels great. Pedal is smooth, engagement is smooth and quiet.
I had a 6 puck unsprung in my Eclipse and it had a very harsh engagement - but that's the way it's designed.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:31 AM

I have Exedy stage 1 in my 04 STI now and i love it also. Evo will be running 400-500TQ so I want something that holds that power well.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exedy is so much better then ACT, its not even fair to compare them. On a DSM Act is good, but not with evo's.
For what its worth, Evo's come stock with Exedys also The pedal feel on a twin plate ( is the same as stock pressure)

http://www.maperformance.com/exedy-h...h-kit-evo.html

Last edited by tscompusa2; Oct 6, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

had my exedy twin disc for almost three years, no issues at all, its a little more grabby than the stock clutch but not to the point where its annoying in daily driving and traffic, i love it, pushin 400 whp and its still running strong, good clutch in my book
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:06 AM

so u say exedy twin has pedal feel like stock clutch, I think that is what i want.

But engagement is still harsh i bet.

I just don't want to spend the money for something that i will hate later.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:07 AM

tnx guys.

I think i will give it a shot.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exedy Twin HD on my car is harder than stock. I don't know if anyone could verify with me but it's definitely harder than stock pedal feel.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
I just took out a Exedy twin from my car (for sale, PM me if interested). I didn't like the clutch at all for daily driving. The pedal pressure was really heavy, and engagement was grabby and loud.
I think for daily driving (if you aren't racing) you should look into a full faced disk. I put in the Exedy stage 1 and so far I love it. Still in the break in period but so far it feels great. Pedal is smooth, engagement is smooth and quiet.
I had a 6 puck unsprung in my Eclipse and it had a very harsh engagement - but that's the way it's designed.
The pedal pressure is no where near heavy, yes its grabby but its not unbearable.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

The exedy twin is def a harder push and the engagement is a little harsh but nothing to be scared of. I guess it sorta depends on your plans. If you ever plan on making alot of power i would go with the twin (or even the triple which ive heard the pedal feel is better), but if only plan to lightly mod id say an upgrade single disc is the way to go.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im running a exedy twin on my evo and its also my daily. It feels like stock on firmness and is an easy engagement. Rush hour traffic each way to and from work and not one complaint.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:11 AM

nice, that is what i wanted to hear, I'm going to order one today and see for my self.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:12 AM

Yeah the Exedy twin is definitely harder then stock. However, i got use to it real quick and prefer it over the stock and all other single disc clutches i driven. I been running this clutch since 2004 with only one rebuild. great clutch!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Not be too off topic but have you ever considered an exedy stage 1 or 2 over the 6 puck setup you have now. More affordable then the twin disc we all want.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

+1 I've used both the exedy twin hd and sd. The sd is better for daily driving; better clutch feel, has lighter pressure plate, but it isn't a good choice if you wanna beat on the clutch all day. HD will hold more torque and chatters a little more between shifts. It isn't as friendly for daily driving, but well worth it for the extra tq it holds

Quick Reply: Clutch Question : 6puck vs Exedy twin