Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fidanza Clutch question....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fidanza Clutch question....

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. I just bought my Evo IX MR used with 40k on it. My first mod was going to be the clutch since i didn't know how hard the previous owner pushed it. My plan was to get a twin disc Exedy this spring. I figured that this clutch would hold on till then with me just driving mildly. Well, I was wrong.

I noticed about a week ago I was on the highway and cruising at about 75 mph in 6th gear and went to accelerate around a semi and i hit the gas, and it rev'd about 1k rpms before I started accelerating. I didn't think much of it at the time. I accelerated hard in 1st and 2nd and there was no slippage at all so like I said, I put it out of my mind. Last night on the way home I noticed it again it did the exact same thing. I down shifted to 5th, hit the gas a little reved about 1-1.5k rpms and before it caught. Down shifted to 4th, same thing. Didn't mess with it passed there.

1st - 3rd gears there doesn't seem to be any slippage at all.

Ok, to my question about this clutch:

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...49275517c9f077

Reason I wasn't getting a clutch now is because since we just moved to Ohio we're saving every penny for a down payment on a house this winter. I would drop up to 2,000 on a clutch at any time except for now, house is more important obviously. But at the same time I don't want to have this car I can't enjoy. So i'm looking at this clutch since its cheaper.

Any reviews on this thing? Clutch pressure is what I'm most concerned about since I have a jacked up left leg due to a car hitting me on my bike. I want something as close to stock pedal pressure as I can get with no wierd noises when engaging. Would this clutch work? Or is there something else under $800 I should look at?

Thanks for reading this long thing.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
act street light clutch is cheap, around 500 bucks and it help for my mr until i went over 500 hp, .
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cheapest way to get by for a while is to resurface the stock flywheel and throw a new OEM disk in with the stock pressure plate and a new TOB.

You can probably get it done for around $200 if you do the work yourself. OEM replacement disks are $106 right now at MAP. I should probably mention that replacing the clutch on a evo is not a job for an amateur.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Oct 9, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
The cheapest way to get by for a while is to resurface the stock flywheel and throw a new OEM disk in with the stock pressure plate and a new TOB.

You can probably get it done for around $200 if you do the work yourself. OEM replacement disks are $106 right now at MAP. I should probably mention that replacing the clutch on a evo is not a job for an amateur.
bump, for this idea
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Great ideas as well as the ACT clutch which is probably the way I'll go. Like mentioned, changing a clutch is not fun on any car to me. I've changed more than a few in my tuning years on both FWD and RWD. Its one of those things where you hate to to a job like this without upgrading even just a little.

Can someone point me to a good website to look at this ACT clutch? Being an Evo newb, I want to make sure I hit the right place that has good customer service.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...utch-kits-act/

Resurface the fly (hope its not too burnt). And HDSS with full face disc or 6-puck sprung are both good options.

Ups and downs to just a disc change. Up can get the car running again. Down, might be doing this beast of a job a few times.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...utch-kits-act/

Resurface the fly (hope its not too burnt). And HDSS with full face disc or 6-puck sprung are both good options.

Ups and downs to just a disc change. Up can get the car running again. Down, might be doing this beast of a job a few times.
Yeah this is what I'm afraid of. If I'm going to tear into this car, I dont' want to be doing it again for at least a year. I don't plan on any other mods until late spring maybe? And even then probably just going with Burschur racings stage 1.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
No need to get a twin for a car with TBE, MBC, cone intake filter, and ECU flash.

I would look at the Exedy Stage 1, ACT HDSS (or 6p), and the ilk. Do the clutch line pill removal when doing the job.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
No need to get a twin for a car with TBE, MBC, cone intake filter, and ECU flash.

I would look at the Exedy Stage 1, ACT HDSS (or 6p), and the ilk. Do the clutch line pill removal when doing the job.
Ok, will do. I'll be ordering the clutch in the next few day. I'm sure searching will provide me info on what the Clutch Line pill is? never heard of that.