Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPM Spikes WOT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
probally most likely your clutch.
but my friend had the same problem and it was a boost leak.
any more details on this? I'm not sure I understand how a boost leak might cause this situation?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by awdordie
Quick question y single me out when everyone before me posted the same thing lol? I would really wanna figure it out if it were my car as well but I wouldn thank everyone for what they thought and single u out. We all could be wrong it was my opinion. And my suggestion IF it is the clutch was exedy. Mines held up to plenty of abuse and its pretty decent for street.
I'm not here to argue. I need to find out how to fix my issue. Thanks for ur advice. I'll look into it more and let you know if it was the clutch.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you just dont want to believe your clutch is toasted.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:57 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Sounds like you just dont want to believe your clutch is toasted.
Is that really what is causing this? Can you explain why?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slipping clutch.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MionieEvo
Is that really what is causing this? Can you explain why?
easy way to test it to be sure. go into 5th gear, around 2500rpm. floor it. I can tell you what will happen if your clutch is slipping. the RPMs will shoot up (how much they shoot up depends on how far gone your clutch is), and you won't accelerate much if at all. then the RPM's will drop once the clutch grabs, and you'll begin to accelerate normally.

depending on how far gone your clutch is, this is most noticeable in higher gears. when it starts to get worse, it'll be noticeable in lower gears, and at part throttle.

your problem is a slipping clutch. I can tell you this because i've put two clutches in this car already. I, along with all the guys in this thread, know what a slipping clutch feels like.

what you are describing is a slipping clutch. try the test I described above, and then you'll know for sure. good luck
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ODUB
easy way to test it to be sure. go into 5th gear, around 2500rpm. floor it. I can tell you what will happen if your clutch is slipping. the RPMs will shoot up (how much they shoot up depends on how far gone your clutch is), and you won't accelerate much if at all. then the RPM's will drop once the clutch grabs, and you'll begin to accelerate normally.

depending on how far gone your clutch is, this is most noticeable in higher gears. when it starts to get worse, it'll be noticeable in lower gears, and at part throttle.

your problem is a slipping clutch. I can tell you this because i've put two clutches in this car already. I, along with all the guys in this thread, know what a slipping clutch feels like.

what you are describing is a slipping clutch. try the test I described above, and then you'll know for sure. good luck
Dude, your knowledge and explanation is EXTREMELY appreciated. What clutch would you recommend me getting? Is that anything I should know before installing one? And what do you recommend when I do get it installed?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

it IS with out question a Smoked clutch! My car did the EXACT same thing but it went with 3000 miles on it....which I cant figure out (well maybe I can).

Exedy twin disc HD...M022HD I think is the part #. Awesome for the street, and will hold just about anything your gonna throw at it!

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Dec 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
it IS with out question a Smoked clutch! My car did the EXACT same thing but it went with 3000 miles on it....which I cant figure out (well maybe I can).

Exedy twin disc HD...M022HD I think is the part #. Awesome for the street, and will hold just about anything your gonna throw at it!
Dude... thank you so freakin much for lettin me know. I couldn't figure this **** out. lol... who would you recommend for installing the new clutch kit? I live in south jersey.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, your knowledge and explanation is EXTREMELY appreciated. What clutch would you recommend me getting? Is that anything I should know before installing one? And what do you recommend when I do get it installed?
I don't know what your mods are, but I'm personally on an ACT HDSS with ACT streetlite flywheel. making about 360whp/340wtq and love it. got 50,000 miles out of the clutch so far and it's still holding strong. I also got 70k out of my stocker though (with a lot more racing, launching, vehicular tomfoolery), so I expect to get pretty good life out of this one.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:17 PM

im modded, ams tuned, puttin down 351awhp, 352tq.. I only have 26K on my Evo...and my clutch is goin already!? :/

grr.. How much did you spend on your clutch kit? Why is the Exedy Twin Disc HD so damn expensive?! It's like $1800
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

im modded, ams tuned, puttin down 351awhp, 352tq.. I only have 26K on my Evo...and my clutch is goin already!? :/

grr.. How much did you spend on your clutch kit? Why is the Exedy Twin Disc HD so damn expensive?! It's like $1800
Exedy Twin Disc HD might be overkill for your mods. I'd do more searching or call AMS and ask them what they recommend since they built your car. my clutch wasn't anywhere near that expensive, but it won't hold as much power either...but, I don't need it to.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:33 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ODUB
Exedy Twin Disc HD might be overkill for your mods. I'd do more searching or call AMS and ask them what they recommend since they built your car. my clutch wasn't anywhere near that expensive, but it won't hold as much power either...but, I don't need it to.
I built it. AMS tuned it.
I have a heavy foot... I tend to rape my Evo when I drive it.
I may have to go with Exedy TD HD.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Dude... thank you so freakin much for lettin me know. I couldn't figure this **** out. lol... who would you recommend for installing the new clutch kit? I live in south jersey.
Ivey is in jersey, id say that would be my #1 choice. turbo trix is also there. If you wanna travel a bit...id rather see you take it to The Shop in CT. anyone can do it...its a day project. If you do a lil looking you can get an exedy twin for 1500-1600

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Dec 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I built it. AMS tuned it.
I have a heavy foot... I tend to rape my Evo when I drive it.
I may have to go with Exedy TD HD.
well depending on how your technique was during the rape, that explains why your clutch is gone at 26k lol