Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th gear on 2006 SE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear on 2006 SE

Recently, my fith gear has been giving out on me. It will not go in after about 40-60mph. I researched many different posts to see if the 5th gear grind was a common problem with the 2006 5 speeds. I couldn't really find much info on how the warranty comes to play during this. I took my car to a local Mitsubishi shop and they gave me the whole story about the $600 Tare down that I would be responsible for if the warranty does not cover the tranny problem. Does anyone know if 5th gear syncros have ever been covered by warranty? Or should I just look into FIY rebuilt. Need some advice on whether to take it in or avoid warranty work.
And the reason I think it's a syncro is because most posts that I have read on syncros have had this common problem that im in.

Mods are intake, exhaust, act street clutch (problem started before new clutch).
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem may have started before the clutch, but by you having an aftermarket one in there, I am sure (if your stealership is anything like ours) they will utilize that to argue that your clutch is what in fact caused the failure. You issue does sound like a synchro.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:25 PM

Yeah figures... They will use anything to save themselves. I guess I'll just rebuilt it. Thank you for the tip.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya, dealers are *******s like that. As soon as they see a modded car with problems, regardless of what the problem is, they'll blame the mods. Same thing for insurance companies...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem twice. Car was completely stock the first time and it was warrantied and fixed. I believe the synchro was bad, not that I broke it or anything, it was just bad....

Second time it happened my only mod was an ACT clutch. They fixed it again but my transmission ended up broken even worse (ie the transmission casing became broken after the install) which they blamed on my clutch and voided my warranty.

It's a bummer man, I feel your pain...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:11 AM

Im in the same boat as you therunningskier. When I first bought my evo i had 3 and 4th go out on me. The dealer fixed it no problems, now i have a ACT clutch in there and 5th gear grinds going in no matter the speed and 4th grinds comming out of 5 at any speed greater than 30. so im curious as to what the dealer is going to tell me for warrenty work (06 IX 5speed)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by therunningskier
I had this problem twice. Car was completely stock the first time and it was warrantied and fixed. I believe the synchro was bad, not that I broke it or anything, it was just bad....

Second time it happened my only mod was an ACT clutch. They fixed it again but my transmission ended up broken even worse (ie the transmission casing became broken after the install) which they blamed on my clutch and voided my warranty.

It's a bummer man, I feel your pain...

This is exactly what I was worried might happen. Being it's aftermarket clutch, and see how theres no way a clutch can affect a syncro so fast with only 19k miles, the dealership will find any way to screw me over after it is "tared down". I might as well rebuilt it. I heard evo 8 4th and 5th gear are pretty good. Might do that or stock clutch. I thank you anyway. This info is helpful.

Last edited by iEvoIX; Oct 13, 2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Spelling