Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Bish's 8 second attempt over, the story and list of parts for sale

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Bad Bish's 8 second attempt over, the story and list of parts for sale

What a day, what a few weeks, hell what a few years.

9.04 at 159.64 mph will stand as the best ET and MPH for my car, as of today I am not going to try and go quicker/faster with it.

I've managed to make more power, fatter power curves and learned a hell of a lot over the last two seasons of racing, since it ran that 9.0. This has resulted in making it harder and harder to get the car down the track. Today was proof of that.

Last week Dan, my brother and owner of Buschur Automotive put the new engine/head in the car I built to try to go 8's. Yesterday it was dyno'd and made an effortless 706 whp.

Over the last few weeks I have spent more money on this project than I have in the last few years combined. I wanted nothing more than to get this 8 second run done and in the history books.

This morning we met up at the shop, Kevin and Dean Lawson, myself and Jarrod and headed out to the track. Nice cool fall air, private track rental, I knew we were going to go 8's, there was no doubt in my mind. I spent the money, we went over the entire car and the time was put in, lots of effort, Kevin is a hell of driver, how could we NOT go 8's?!

The car had a fresh Tilton clutch in it, always works great when they are fresh. It also had, dare I admit it and say it, a dog box from Shepherd Racing. Yes, I wanted this so bad that I shelled out the money and had John do a dog box for me. Keep in mind our 9.04 was on a standard Bushwacker trans as I've always said it was. This dog box was bought for this day, for this goal, so I could finally be done with it.

The first 3 passes the car bogged, it made no sense. It wasn't hooking up after the bog but it was just dying after the launch. The 3rd or 4th run Kevin didn't come back from the end of the track. The car blew one of the motorcycle slicks either right at the end of the pass or as it as slowing down. Luckily nothing happened. We pulled the wheel/tire off, ran to Harlow tire and bought a new slick, mounted it up and went back for more passes. Harlow is located at the track so it was a 30 minute delay from star to finish. Lucky us, in many ways.

I made some changes to the tune and it helped with the launching. The next run the car finally cleaned the tires off and when Kevin hit the brakes to stop for the starting line something skidded past me on the ground. I walked out and picked it up, it looked like an exhaust hanger, then I realized what it was. It was a piece of the fancy new rear end brace I had just built. I backed Kevin up, loaded the car in the trailer and we headed back to the shop. The new brace was destroyed, we took it out, put in our normal mustache bar and headed back out to the track.

It wasn't starting out very good but we knew the power was there and hoped the bad part was behind us. Back at the track the car was just blowing the tires off one pass and then the next it would bog and then blow the tires off. Now when I say that the car is blowing off the tires I'm not talking about just spinning in 1st gear, the car was LOSE in 1st, 2nd and through 3rd. We have three video angles of this action and Jarrod is working on a video, it's quite disturbing that an AWD on slicks was this out of control. Kevin did a hell of a job driving it.

A dog box is a wonderful thing, clutch being junk or not it still shifts. What's not so wonderful is it shifts into any gear at any RPM......ask me how I know. I'm not sure how many RPM the car hit when at 9500 rpm in 2nd gear it was shifted back into 1st gear but let me tell you, it was a LOT. The comments on the starting line were, "WTF, is that a Formula 1 engine?!" I figured the car had to be hurt, nope. Absolutely NOTHING wrong. As a matter of fact the next pass was the best of the day, 9.33.

A car can not post a good ET if it's not accelerating forward and in our case today the car was not moving forward because until it hit 4th gear it was spinning and was out of shape.

We managed a 158.xx mph run. Our best 60' was a miserable 1.54, we've run 1.40 on these tires. Anthony, one of the track guys, even resprayed, hit the track with gold dust and dragged it for us, still would not hook up. I thought about the spring change I made but the fact is the 8k rear spring is how the car was when it ran 9.0, I don't think changing springs would have had any effect on the car. The car left smooth but 2nd and 3rd gear were horrible and simply spinning the tires.

As the day went on the logs and what I was hearing were telling me the clutch we just bought and just came back from Tilton was slipping. It just could not hold the power, so trying to run more became dumber and dumber.

At the end of the day we ran 12 passes. The car is running like a top and ready for whatever is next.

I had a great time today, I went there with a good positive attitude and even after not reaching my goal of running 8's left with a good positive attitude.

This goal is done. Too much money and time invested in it and I am satisfied with the car. Refusing to gut the car, refusing to run small brakes, refusing to make it a drag car makes the goal tougher than it needs to be and now it seems we are going to need the perfect day with a perfectly prepped track to do it too. The other option is a real tire/slick and that will require me running small brakes, I'm not willing to do that.

I am moving onto my next chapter with the car. I don't ever intend to sell it.

I want to use it for autocrossing as I have said I guess now instead of having an 8 second autocross car it will be a 9.0 autocross car. haha

Here's something funny I was thinking about. I can run the car at about 32 psi boost and it makes 640 whp. At 42 psi it makes 700. Pushing it that extra just taxes everything.

I think what I am going to do is install another waste gate spring and set the boost to run at 30-34 psi of boost on the gate alone. No boost controller. Lock myself into leaving it there. Then I am going to work on seeing how much torque I can produce at that boost/whp level. I'd like to end up with a 500+ ft lb, 640 whp EVO I can use for everything.

I can't list pricing here but I have a long list of things for sale now that this part of my goal is finished. I want to list them here so if you guys are interested shoot me a PM.

League Racing wheels and M/T motorcycle slicks

Bushwacker Stage 1, 5 speed trans, low miles and 3 drag runs, shifts perfect

BR Forward Facing turbo kit, Tial V-band .82 housing for 35r turbo, COMPLETE minus actual turbo. Down pipe is V-band on both ends.

(2) Tilton clutches. Carbon/carbon. These are the best drag clutches you can buy but they do not last forever. I have two of them. Any car under 650 whp they will work in without touching them. IF you want to shift at WOT like you own a dog box without buying a dog box, this is the clutch you need. I will sell them cheap enough that when you do get them rebuilt you will still come out cheaper than buying one new. They are about $5500 each new now.

That should do it for what I am changing on the car.

A great new video should be coming in the next few days. Jarrod has a hell of a lot of footage to sort through and put together.

BTW, John Shepherd was out there in the Talon, it was nice to see it out again! His luck wasn't quite as good as ours and had a down shift happen which knocked his rockers off and ended his day.

Tym Switzer as out there with a few bad *** GTR's. He now holds the GTR MPH record by a considerable margin, 156+ in the black car. Jamie's white GTR also ran well into the 9's. This was his first ever shot at drag racing any GTR's, to say they did well would be an understatement.

I'll post the video up here when Jarrod gets it done.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support.

Last edited by David Buschur; Oct 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to see whats next for the car.

Last edited by munster87; Oct 12, 2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: ...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the tough luck today.. I wish you would keep at it but trust me i know this is mentally draining.. You have probably the most complete FASTEST EVO to date.. Large brakes, all interior, list goes on and on.. Good luck with the Future of the Bish I am sure itll be fun in the next form you make of it..

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn...sucks you didn't hit 8...oh well...I guess it wasn't meant to be...PM price shipped to 08822 for the Bushwacker trans please...Thank you sir...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was really excited to come in here to see great news david, jarrod got me all pumped up on facebook this morning

good luck with whatever you do next with the car! you are the reason ive kept my car and going in the direction i am, bad bish has inspired me to take it to that level!

i PMd you about the dual stage controller, i want it.

Paul

Last edited by psphinx81; Oct 12, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pm price for BR dual stage boost controller. and dog box. shipped to 11717
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hell you gave it all but the kitchen sink. Good job Dave.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry 8s didnt become reality dave. you do deserve it. i dont think you should give up though. but remember no matter what anyone says 99.9% of the people with an evo and even a gutted one do not run what you run in your car that you can take the kids and wife in to get ice cream. you have the right to say you tried. you gave it your all. you never post a dyno number and brag. you always prove the power on the street. most people just run around with a number and talk **** and never try a damn thing.

great job. and good luck in the future. many people are still proud of you for doing what you have done. i know i am one of them and even though you did not hit the 8s in my heart you hit something much faster that no one else has.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's easy arm-chair QB this, but I'd love to see you do the brake swap and run slicks, your gut instinct is probably right. Either way, each incarnation of the BadBish has been great to read about and autoX will be no different I'm sure, good luck.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would also have tried the small brakes and proper tires. The brakes arent hard to change but I agree that a timeslip is about as valueable as a dyno sheet. Both are worthless, but getting into your car and having a huge smile everytime you drive it makes it all worth the effort. I make fun of a good friend of mine when he talks about stripping out his evo and making it drag only. However he wants to go fast and doesnt want to really street drive it. He loves drag racing. I also agree a 600+whp streetcar is a badass and much more is really sorta silly. You guys do have a lot of nice flat straight roads out there that I dont have here in PA so I am really limited to about 100-120mph in super short bursts only.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Dave. 9.0 in a 100% street car is still an amazing accomplishment. Good luck on your next set of goals.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I ruined one EVO building a drag car, doing it to this one has never interested me. The dog box was a huge step in a direction I never wanted to go but figured I could still drive it so big deal. I'm so glad now that I never destroyed the car by making a gutted mess out of it.

I was talking to VWJeff, good friend who called to check on me, and told him the car ran 9.7 at 145 mph on pump gas with 570 whp. I'm now going to keep it at about 640 whp, should be good for 9.40's or so at about 150, not bad.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
great read.. sorry it didnt happen, but atleast you had fun trying. still very respectable times no matter what angle you look at it. That motor is truely a tank to stay together from a 2nd to 1st shift with the power that car puts to the ground. great job overall man. I cant wait to see the videos of this.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
still one of the greatest evos to ever touch a strip or the road for that matter. congrats on everything dave. my RS will be in your hands one day
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
A dog box is a wonderful thing, clutch being junk or not it still shifts. What's not so wonderful is it shifts into any gear at any RPM......ask me how I know. I'm not sure how many RPM the car hit when at 9500 rpm in 2nd gear it was shifted back into 1st gear but let me tell you, it was a LOT.
It's around 13k rpm for an EVO 8 with standard gearing - enough to pull the pin right through the bottom of the piston if you're unlucky.

Quick Reply: Bad Bish's 8 second attempt over, the story and list of parts for sale