Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Block Power Threshold and Gear Specific Dyno Pull Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Also what kind of turbo you may be using too.

Lots of variables here but I don't consider the question useless.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
This is one of the most useless questions I've ever seen on this forum. You keep stating this 450 number as a threshold - stop it. It is completely arbitrary. It is meaningless. There is NO answer to the question you ask (plus you didn't even bring up 5th gear).

Now, if you ask about the power difference in 3rd vs 4th vs 5th, you should see a larger change on a Mustang dyno than on a Dynojet because the DJ can't put a real-world amount of load on the car whereas a MD can. I believe the higher amount of load on the MD will make the graph change more vs gear.

To disprove your baseless 450 number - my car has been making much more than that for 4 years of hard racing abuse and is still going strong. It has a lot more to do with proper tuning and maintenance than some arbitrary, made up number.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW we usually keep tq in the 400-435 area on stock shorties but I do have a customer that touched 465 and he's still going strong. This is measured with VD which is close to a DJ. I do remind my customers that it may not be a good idea to roll 5 deep up a hill while going WOT in 5th gear
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of the most useless questions I've ever seen on this forum. You keep stating this 450 number as a threshold - stop it. It is completely arbitrary. It is meaningless. There is NO answer to the question you ask (plus you didn't even bring up 5th gear).

Now, if you ask about the power difference in 3rd vs 4th vs 5th, you should see a larger change on a Mustang dyno than on a Dynojet because the DJ can't put a real-world amount of load on the car whereas a MD can. I believe the higher amount of load on the MD will make the graph change more vs gear.

To disprove your baseless 450 number - my car has been making much more than that for 4 years of hard racing abuse and is still going strong. It has a lot more to do with proper tuning and maintenance than some arbitrary, made up number.
My OP made the point that 450 is an arbitrary number, however, you can not argue with, if you read or troll around this forum that 450 has not become some magical threshold, the crack that will break your mama's back if you will, that is not to be crossed.

That is great your motor has lived at higher levels for so long. Congrats.

I do not view my post as arbitrary, I am sorry that you did.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
This is incorrect. What is 5,000 lbs of roller weight to accelerate? What is the LC (load control) that is standard on almost ALL DJs now? The only thing our dyno does differently from most DJs is the belt that ties the rollers together exactly like a Mustang.

When I post I post accurately. 400 ft lbs is still the seeming suggestion for total torque to stock rods, not the golden rule. I have seen them break at less and I have seen them hold more.

Here is an average time line before stock rod failure (someone wanna make an excel graph?)-

400 ftlbs- 49,000 miles
425 ft lbs- 2 year
470 ft lbs- 3 weeks
491 ft lbs- 3 days

I cant speak for the other owners, but the 49,000 I put on my car includes 150 dyno pulls and 7-10 romps per week at full power.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
This is incorrect. What is 5,000 lbs of roller weight to accelerate? What is the LC (load control) that is standard on almost ALL DJs now? The only thing our dyno does differently from most DJs is the belt that ties the rollers together exactly like a Mustang.

When I post I post accurately. 400 ft lbs is still the seeming suggestion for total torque to stock rods, not the golden rule. I have seen them break at less and I have seen them hold more.

Here is an average time line before stock rod failure (someone wanna make an excel graph?)-

400 ftlbs- 49,000 miles
425 ft lbs- 2 year
470 ft lbs- 3 weeks
491 ft lbs- 3 days

I cant speak for the other owners, but the 49,000 I put on my car includes 150 dyno pulls and 7-10 romps per week at full power.
Sorry, I don't own a dyno so I am lost a bit with what you are saying. Are you saying that most DJ's have a 5000 pound total weight for the rollers?

Are you also saying that the DJ's have some sort of electric or mechanical brake that can change the load based on inputs into the computer? You can set it to a 2000 pound load for a light weight Civic or to 3200 pounds for an EVO to show what the car is actually making in real world conditions?

I'm not sure why you italicized "exactly like a Mustang Dyno". Are you saying that Dynojets DO tie the two rollers together to get an accurate reading on AWD cars, or that they do not? If so, can you explain why shops such as AMS and Switzer use Mustang dynos to do some of their testing on AWD cars such as the Skyline and Porsches?

As for your Excel graph - sure, no prob. If you want to post info as to which cars made what torque and for how long before the rods failed I would be glad to do so. I know from first hand experience that mine has made 450 plus for over 3 years (high 400's for the past 2 years) under the guidance of two great tuners with a lot of race abuse during that time. . .

10.9 at the strip for many passes (at least 10 drag days)
two to three drivers autocrossing it banging off the rev limiter at 8000rpm
many track days at Mid-Ohio, Gingeman, Grattan and Blackhawk also running it out to redline at 8K and pulling hard in 4th and 5th gear . . .

Once again I state that the amount of torque your motor can hold is directly proportional to the quality of tuning. If you are getting a lot of detonation at any power levels your rods will not last long. . .

p.s. my car has over 150 dyno pulls at that power level . . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Oct 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley

400 ftlbs- 49,000 miles
425 ft lbs- 2 year
470 ft lbs- 3 weeks
491 ft lbs- 3 days

Those above measurements you listed - I assume since you are a fan of 3rd gear dyno pulls each of those above motors made that power in 3rd gear and consequently the motor experienced a little more than what you have listed on during your 7-10 romps per week that may have included fourth gear run outs....

Is that a fair assumption?