Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Do I need larger injectors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need larger injectors

I have full 3" turbo back no cat. Buschur FMIC, Upper IC tubing, MAS tubing and open filter, and works p2 fecu flash. Is this is as far as I am going for power. Are my injectors being over cycled? WOuld you reccomend, bigger injectors, bigger pump and regulator? Or can the stock setup handle this?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Up to about 20psi of boost, the stock injectors are fine for your combination. Its not easy to determine the duty cycle of your current injectors without a diagnostic tool capable of reading the injector pulses, or an OBD-II Diagnostic cable to a PC..

If you plan on upgrading your cams, and running 21psi of boost (of course you have other issues to address such as running better gas) then you might consider a slightly bigger injector.

Keep in mind that with your P2 reflash, you probably would end up running really rich with new injectors at WOT, which means you would ultimately need either another reflash calibrated to your combination, or an S-AFC and yet another day of dyno time (or road tuning with a wideband)

although I'm not sure what the stock injectors are running at, its probabl that the flash reduced the duty cycle slightly which results in a leaner mixture in the maps, that means there's a little wiggle room in there..

(when I refer to upgraded injectors, you probably would have to upgrade the fuel pump to provide enough fuel volume for the new injectors too..)

If it hasn't already become painfully obvious.. Just bolting things on and not tuning them, or having a tuning mismatch could do more harm than good..

Your combination isn't all that different than my combo.. However I'm using an S-AFC (and I have a wideband on order)

But to make a long story short.. If it aint broke, don't fix it.. With your current setup the fuel system will handle it adequately.. Not only that, you are looking at a few hours of tuning time to get the injectors tuned to your combo anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Up to about 20psi of boost, the stock injectors are fine for your combination. Its not easy to determine the duty cycle of your current injectors without a diagnostic tool capable of reading the injector pulses, or an OBD-II Diagnostic cable to a PC..
I've been asking on this board for the past 4 days or so for suggestions on a scan tool/datalogger and I haven't received a single response. Do you have any suggestions on something?

Your combination isn't all that different than my combo.. However I'm using an S-AFC (and I have a wideband on order)
Which wideband are you going with? I'd like to get a wideband as well and it seems that there are a growing number of reasonably priced options on the market. If you've done some homework on this, I'd be interested to hear what you decided on.

Thanks,
Rich
Old Nov 30, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Rich,

Check out www.pocketlogger.com and www.wbo2.com for two of the more known options.

I've used the DSM version of pocketlogger extensively and will be getting the OBDII version here shortly. Its simple and it works.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.psi3.co.uk/mitssingle.html

Best scanner setup for the EVO. Also works as a instrument array.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:22 AM
In Timeout

Quantum does that datalog? I want to be able to do a 1-4 gear run and open up a log. (I'm asking for a scanner for xmas...and autotap works with tungsten palm, which i already own)
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

These are the LCD models. They don't datalog. They have a VFD version (S-AFC-like display) that should have that feature. It should be available shortly, but probably not before christmas.
BTW, several large vendors are carrying these in their own catalogs now as their own products.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

It shows it can read A/F ratios. Would it work with a wide band sensor?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Damn shame it doesn't do boost through the ODB port. I've been dying to get one of these mainly for the super simple installation but it looks like boost monitoring is an add-on for the EVO.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We ran 12.09 at 115 mph on the stock injectors and pump in our EVO. This was at 19-21 psi. We have made 446 whp with 550 cc injectors in past 4g63's. You are not out of injector. Now if the flash you got done isn't correct you can run out of fuel, that is besides the point though.

We changed to the larger 680 cc injectors for one reason only, we needed to up the fuel cut in the car.

Now that Al is around if I went back a few steps in the car I would have left the stock injectors and just used the re-flash he did for us. This eliminated the fuel cut, upped the rev-limiter and raised the top speed limiter.

I would suggest having Al do this to your ECU and then you can fine tune with the AFC as your upgrades change.

We are offering Al's dyno flash with our upgrades now. You can send your ECU directly to him and pay through us with your credit card.

Hope this helps,
David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mhgsx
It shows it can read A/F ratios. Would it work with a wide band sensor?
No. It reports lambda or A/F from the factory sensor. Subaru's like this a lot because they have more than just a narrowband in their cars.

Originally posted by Dale_K
Damn shame it doesn't do boost through the ODB port. I've been dying to get one of these mainly for the super simple installation but it looks like boost monitoring is an add-on for the EVO.
The car doesn't have a boost sensor. It is an add-on, but not that expensive to add. The SECS is a big money saver for those who want to monitor many things; it works with Defi sensors so you can add quite a few items without paying for Defi head units and gauges, etc.

This is also great for tuning since it shows ignition timing and ignition retard (which can be correlated to knock) as well as MAF sensor rates to know if you are close to running out, etc.
Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com

Last edited by QuantumEVO; Dec 3, 2003 at 09:55 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does it read knock retard on an Evo?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
How does it read knock retard on an Evo?
If OBD2 spits it out, it can read it. Yes, that's the knock correction.
SECS units are used heavily in Europe; especially with the reflash crowd.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuantumEVO

If OBD2 spits it out, it can read it. Yes, that's the knock correction.
SECS units are used heavily in Europe; especially with the reflash crowd.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Cool, OBDII does NOT spit out knock retard on DSMs. At least not without some magic incantation that nobody knows. OBDII is painfully slow, too.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

OBD2 may be painfully slow but it depends on the car. The subaru's are quite fast. I have yet to plug an SECS into an EVO myself so I will let everyone know if they can report knock correction or not ASAP.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com