Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM Tru Boost. Im confused!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Tru Boost. Im confused!!

Okay, well first of all, i read almost every thread that has the words Tru Boost in it..

I just got one and i installed everything works blah blah.. EASY

Now, Dialing it in. DIFFERENT STORY.

Ive read that the SPR number( some say GAE i think? idk maybe mine wasn't updated and still says SPR?) should be at 11.5 to 12..? at normal wastegate pressure? But I also read a thread that AMS tuned someone's evo who had close to my setup and left it at 2.0? Im new to turbos but im not completely unaware of whats going on. i no its different for everyones car, but why such a drastic number off the normal 11psi number?

The duty cycle i understand pretty well, but i cant seem to get it to hold a decent number. im tuned for around 24psi. i just want to get it to that number so i can change the boost and cold weather boost levels and such.

How much should it taper to redline? like if its at 27 right away then drops to 22 by redline, i would assume thats not right, correct? if i can dial in 24 again, how much should it taper down to?

Sorry for such newb questions but im just trying to learn and figure this out.
if theres any details i left out and you need to understand more of what im trying to explain just let me know.

also mods are
04 evo viii, ix turbo, ams turbo back, jmf o2 dump, filter cone, tuned by pete at krazy house.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I’m tuned at 23lbs on a stock ecu. my "A" setting is set to 70% and it hits 23 and tappers to 22 / 21 consistently. the "B" setting ,I set it to 65%(winter). I'm also on a stock actuator / stock 8 turbo (10.5) Your TruBoost should flash "A" or "B" when you turn your car on. As your driving you can also hold down the first button for 2 seconds to see what setting your on, and hold down the second button for 2 seconds to see what your highest lb of boost was during the time you started your car. The highest boost will reset once you start the car over again. It's a good way to see if your car is running consistently.

Boost Setting A - A68
Boost Setting B – B64
Display Units - PSI
Scramble Boost (SCb) - 10.0=skip
Scramble Boost Time (SCr) – 0.0=skip
Alarm (Ala) - 25
Spring Pressure (Spr) 12 (11.2 winter so it doesn't spike so much)
Bar Graph Full Scale (Ful) - 28

The higer the Spr the turbo spools faster but also spike harder,the stock wga presure is around 11.8 12.1 psi so you wanna keep your spr as close as yu can to the presure.

mods= HKS 272's/megan O2/AMS fmic/AMS lic/short UIC/3" turbo back tuned at 23 psi

Last edited by diablo1; Nov 5, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same question when I first installed it. I ran around with it at 2.0 for a while since i couldn't find an answer I was comfortable with. I run it at 11.5 now, which feels much better.

Just make sure you lower you duty cycle after adjusting the SPR higher, because like diablo1 said, you will spike higher than you would at 2.0.

Did you install the Tru-Boost after your tune? Most tuners will dial in the settings for you, or at least tell you their thoughts about it.

Good luck sir,