Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's your opinion on cams with stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm about to do my 60k service and I'm going with S2's, springs, pump, injectors and a tune

My mods are in my sig and I've never had any tune done to my car. I'll let you know what I think of the cams
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
I'm about to do my 60k service and I'm going with S2's, springs, pump, injectors and a tune

My mods are in my sig and I've never had any tune done to my car. I'll let you know what I think of the cams
Nice, I look forward to hearing your results. Who are you having tune the car?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Been talking to Kevin @ Mellon tuning so more than likely I'll be taking it there.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Then I'm sure you will not be disappointed! I talked to Chris, and if they had a shop to do the work on my baby, that's where I would send her.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah me too! I'll be trailoring my car to them for the dyno tune.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

S2's are aggressive IMO. I have a set of HKS 264/272s I'll be installing in a few days and I have an 03 with 9.8 hotside.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AboodsEvo
S2's are aggressive IMO. I have a set of HKS 264/272s I'll be installing in a few days and I have an 03 with 9.8 hotside.
can you not find a 10.5 housing to go on there? very cheap and will help lots
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AboodsEvo
you don't know anything about aggressive! HKS are the WORST cams on the market and no one should ever buy them! If you do, you will hate yourself when you make **** for power and it falls off up top.

Mikey
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
you don't know anything about aggressive! HKS are the WORST cams on the market and no one should ever buy them! If you do, you will hate yourself when you make **** for power and it falls off up top.

Mikey
Wow, why all the hating on the HKS cams? Are you referring to the Step 1 cams or the newer Step 2 cams?

They don't have any loss down low and still make good power over the stock cams in the upper RPM range. They are nice for a DD if you ask me...

To each his own.

-Bink
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

Gs c2 cams hands down one of the best even on stock turbos..
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
Wow, why all the hating on the HKS cams? Are you referring to the Step 1 cams or the newer Step 2 cams?

They don't have any loss down low and still make good power over the stock cams in the upper RPM range. They are nice for a DD if you ask me...

To each his own.

-Bink

Bink, I know for a fact that the old HKS cams are really worthless. Ya they don't lose any down low power but when I did a back to back with my HUGE custom cams I didn't lose any downlow either.

The HKS cams will destroy top end power and should not be used on a car with other 400hp if you ask me. GSC make the best cams, no question. S2s make 30+hp over HKS 280s and don't lose any downlow power and are perfect for stock turbos to 3586.

Mikey
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would run GSC S2 and never look back. They are the best cams on the market. I made 90hp when I switched from HKS to my GSCs.

Mikey

This.....

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX

And this is exactly what I did...waited to I did all my 60k stuff and went with S2s, Supertech Duals and APR headstuds...Top end is awesome...Depending on your tuner you may have some rough cold starts/idling but then its fine...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

AWD Motor 272's and get tunned by them , you wont regret it mark my words,, if you dont you will regret it,,, plus you are supporting a local vendor to your state.

Although i went with cossi's 272's but that was back in the day when these were these were making the most power and they were 11.0 not 10.8's
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bink, I know for a fact that the old HKS cams are really worthless. Ya they don't lose any down low power but when I did a back to back with my HUGE custom cams I didn't lose any downlow either.

The HKS cams will destroy top end power and should not be used on a car with other 400hp if you ask me. GSC make the best cams, no question. S2s make 30+hp over HKS 280s and don't lose any downlow power and are perfect for stock turbos to 3586.

Mikey
Hey,

Question- Didn't GSC have problems with their cams snapping? Did they ever figure out what the issue was?

FWIW, I'm looking to grab a set of Kelford 272's myself.

-Bink
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
Hey,

Question- Didn't GSC have problems with their cams snapping? Did they ever figure out what the issue was?

FWIW, I'm looking to grab a set of Kelford 272's myself.

-Bink
That was a single batch a long time ago... yes is was an oiling groove cut to deep I think. It was a prob for a few companies not just GSC becuase a few places use the same cores.

You should really look into the S2s, not Kelford. But hey, people are going to do what they want.

Mikey

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on cams with stock turbo?