Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Staged upgrades for the EVO8 with EMS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GotBoost25psi
thats really nice, i would love to see some vids!
Good Idea. Andy and I will take some for you guys this weekend.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by degman
Not sure If I am the first one from the forums ordering the kit...
I will sure post vids, dyno charts.. etc. after Nick installs everything
Actaully there are quite a few already ordered. Just spacing the installs to make everyone happy.
Some have already modded the IC so we are just providing the Turbo upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Nick,

The 12th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout is scheduled for August 14th-15th 2004. The 14th is a Saturday and we are having an unofficial "car show" on the spectator side of the track. It is mostly a hang out and chance to meet everyone.

The 15th is the day of the race. The gates will open at 8 am.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by perfworks

Good Idea. Andy and I will take some for you guys this weekend.
get some inside and outside of it punching it!!!!!!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by davidbuschur
Nick,

The 12th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout is scheduled for August 14th-15th 2004. The 14th is a Saturday and we are having an unofficial "car show" on the spectator side of the track. It is mostly a hang out and chance to meet everyone.

The 15th is the day of the race. The gates will open at 8 am.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Hey David, you know Nick from Turbo Performance Works?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 07:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that turbo sure does spool fast, 20 psi by 3600, that's as good as stock. Im curious as to how can you run 29-31 psi on pump gas, not to mention on the stock bottom end. Shed some light please.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 01:00 AM

spool up...equal length or shorty?

There seem to be two theories about quick spool-up...equal-length and shorty headers. I think the equal-length LOOK great, but I could see how the shortys might even spool faster, if not as fast. I'd love to see this talked about and understand the flow dynamics there better (equal length give more steady, constant pressure to the turbine wheel? giving smoother spool? less turbulence in the impeller side from smoother acceleration?...or shortys kicking it faster with less tube length?)

I know it's a pipe dream to get a lot of firm conclusions from a discussion but at least I'd understand it better. Likely, of course, we'll have to see which of the different mixes of header design and turbo salads spool up quickest.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by superz

that turbo sure does spool fast, 20 psi by 3600, that's as good as stock. Im curious as to how can you run 29-31 psi on pump gas, not to mention on the stock bottom end. Shed some light please.
I was curious about this also. It seems that 30 on the stock internals is a bit high. I was told that it was almost maxed out by the factory. I hope this is not true, because man would I love to be pushing 30PSI!

Last edited by ndawg; Jan 10, 2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There seem to be two theories about quick spool-up...equal-length and shorty headers.
Both designs could help or hurt spool. Keeping the velocity of the pulses high is where you will see spool up gains. Along with good heat retention and dont forget the pulses that arrive equally spaced. And another thing that factors is A/R of the turbo. Changing the volume of the header can indirectly affect the A/R. If you have a long tube header you can get by with a smaller A/R cause more heat is lost before it gets to the turbine.

In short, too many factors involved to say one will spool better than the other.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Hello Guys,
Sorry for taking so long to come on here. Weve been very busy day and night with tuning The AEM.
So, first Dave B, thanks for the information. We have alreadyu made plans from last month to attend the event. Thank you for the invite. We are very excited to attend.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by superz
Gil and others,
I would like to clarify the above post a little.
Now first of all, we wanted to prove our spool up times we had originaly calculated. In the first few pages of our thread we speculated to what our threshold results would be on a stock EVO.
We were very pleased with the results.
The above 20+ psi of boost we were running is to see if the AEM box would have any ignition break up. There was speculation to this so we wanted to disprove the myth. The AEM box is very stable. It does take some time to tune initially but the end product is unbelievable. At first we were all for sharing our mapping with members of the board. As we have found this is a very time consuming project and cant afford to give away tuning calibrations thru our specific strategys. We have worked very hard to come up with a product that is reliable.
We do not recommend that you run more than 20- 22 psi of boost from our system on stock internals or pump gas.
I want people who may have this a little confused to understand and not mistaken boost pressure with cylinder pressures. It may be related but directly.
Some turbos can be run on 15 psi with pumpgas and some with 25. Turbo charger CFM output will delegate much of this. It will also depend soley on the consistent use of the same quality octane fuel and proper engine management.
We will be starting another thread to highlight some of the important factors to concider when boosting higher than this with forged internals from an aftermarket supplier. We will be offering complete built short blocks for our stage 4 kits very soon before the spring.
As mentioned earlier we spooled very quickly. The Turbo and induction system we use is a design with alot of R&D and money to perfect.
The system as stated earlier compliments it self perfectly. The initial boost we have seen before 3000 rpm and full boost 20 PSI at around 3500- 3800 RPM consistently. Many members will testify to the amazing potential this system has shortly ,as we are doing some spaced installs for customers now.
Stay tuned for alot of info in the comming weeks including dyno and video results.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ndawg

I was curious about this also. It seems that 30 on the stock internals is a bit high. I was told that it was almost maxed out by the factory. I hope this is not true, because man would I love to be pushing 30PSI!
Stock internals and our setup with engine management is good for 20 PSI daily. To put it in perspective for you the turbo we use will put the same power down as your stock unit with about 11-12psi.
So 20 pounds from this monster will be very nice
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 94AWDcoupe

Both designs could help or hurt spool. Keeping the velocity of the pulses high is where you will see spool up gains. Along with good heat retention and dont forget the pulses that arrive equally spaced . And another thing that factors is A/R of the turbo. Changing the volume of the header can indirectly affect the A/R. If you have a long tube header you can get by with a smaller A/R cause more heat is lost before it gets to the turbine.

In short, too many factors involved to say one will spool better than the other.
What I have highlighted in your post is what we have done with our design. This is the reason for not opting for equal length.
Many other factors like wieght and durability play a role. That is why 321 SS was used uncoated. For expansion characteristics without losing the retention quality and integrety of the design.

Also Our AR ratio is optimal for the specific application. At first glance it looks like a straight T4 but .....

You will se many "others" copy this turbo very soon. They have already done so with the manifold.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

any vids yet?!??!?!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GotBoost25psi
any vids yet?!??!?!
LOL not yet bud. After the weekend. We decided to take a couple of days off.

Quick Reply: Staged upgrades for the EVO8 with EMS