Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Confused: Rear Diff/Mustache Bar Bushing Kits + Install Difficulty

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused: Rear Diff/Mustache Bar Bushing Kits + Install Difficulty

Hello, I have been searching this forum and Google for a few days and still cannot find a lot of information on a bushing install.

I would like to install a "rear diff/mustache bar" bushing kit to try to eliminate rear diff clunk when shifting.

First of all, I am confused with the kits that are sold. Do they come with both rear diff and mustache bar bushings? I see some kits have 4 pieces and some have 8.

Second, I have searched the forums and some people say it's a pain to install and some say it takes "20min". Does the whole rear subframe need to come out? Or, is this kit a 4 piece kit (makes 2 pieces) and can be installed by simply unbolting one side, maybe loosening the other, and replace the bushings by hand?

Again, the information seems to be conflicting. I would like to replace bushings if I can, but I only have basic tools. This is a DD, so I do not want a custom bar or eliminator.

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the Buschur one, gets rid of that stupid chunk of iron and the clunk. Takes a little over two hours to install by yourself on the ground with a jack, jackstands and handtools and elimniates 13#'s. I gained zero chassis noise from this, very happy with the mod, car feels much more responsive to throttle input.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:41 PM

yeah, this is a DD and i would rather not change the bar out. i would rather just install bushings depending on difficultly level, again i just have basic tools. I am still confused about the different kits...
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd follow Curt's advice on this. DD or not doesn't make a difference in what you are trying to do here. The Buschur bar uses bushings and is smaller so it's the same basic thing as putting urethane bushings in the stock one.

You are going to have to drop the rear subframe down to get the bar out. When you get the bar out you will need to press the bushings out, if you don't know what you're doing this can be a major PITA.

The difference in the kits for the rear is probably that one includes bushings for the diff supports as well as the mustache bar.

In the end you could do it with basic tools but you will hate yourself and the car by the time you are done.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

so quick question for me not to press anything out... kind of like a basic drop out and install in i would have to get this: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...1710c431169533

and this: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...1710c431169533...

just want to know because i dont want to hear that noise again and also dont to have to press anything in or out just direct install..help a brother out.. i didnt want to make another thread up so i figured i'd hop on here because im having the same issue..
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
so quick question for me not to press anything out... kind of like a basic drop out and install in i would have to get this: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...1710c431169533

and this: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...1710c431169533...

just want to know because i dont want to hear that noise again and also dont to have to press anything in or out just direct install..help a brother out.. i didnt want to make another thread up so i figured i'd hop on here because im having the same issue..
I suggest purchasing both of those together...that is my plan for over the winter...drop some weight in the rear and get rid of the rear diff clunk when shifting...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I suggest purchasing both of those together...that is my plan for over the winter...drop some weight in the rear and get rid of the rear diff clunk when shifting...
what about that rear end noise everyone talks about? i know the ams mustache eliminator bar i would understand that you would hear drive train noise but what about people that have used the buschur bar and side mounts?? have you guys experience the rear end trying to have a conversation with you ??
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
what about that rear end noise everyone talks about? i know the ams mustache eliminator bar i would understand that you would hear drive train noise but what about people that have used the buschur bar and side mounts?? have you guys experience the rear end trying to have a conversation with you ??

We have put these in a bunch of cars without any extra noise.

-Em
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
We have put these in a bunch of cars without any extra noise.

-Em
thanks emery that does sound promising anyone else have any exiperence with the buschur mustache bar and side diff mounts? thats a 625.00 package just wanted to know some feedback on it before i proceed to buy it..
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

AoyamaJPN:
I just installed all 4 of WORKS diff bushing this weekend. You’ll have to drop down the rear subframe about 2-3 inches (8 bolts on the subframe). Can do with hand tools, and you'll need a torque wrench. All 4 diff bushings will have to be pressed out, and the two mustache bar bushings will have to be pressed back in, any competent machine shop should be able to do this in 30 min. The other ones go in by hand, though a vice makes it easier I'd say 4 hours to do.

I recommend these bushings from WORKS, they are the best quality I've seen, and they fit perfectly.
http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=425
It's 2 bushings that come as 3 pieces each - 2 halves and a metal sleeve each mount.

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=428
This bushing is one piece - (2 bushings total)

The WORKS bushings come with great instructions and have all the factory torque spec info.