Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud Snapping Noise: We have a problem.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Snapping Noise: We have a problem.

The Story:
Today as I was driving home, I turned onto my street and made my way through the gears, shortly after getting into 5th there was a loud snapping noise, it sounded as if it came from the engine bay area near the pedals. After the noise my engine started bogging down and would no longer rev past 2000 rpms. I pulled off the road and inspected under the hood and under the car. Nothing evident popped out and the car still idles fine in neutral. I then cautiously eased my way down the road and made it into my driveway where it is sitting now. (I kept it in first cruising at 5mph the whole way)

Background:
I have had my 06 Evo 9 SE back from my local mits. dealership for 2 days, I had a new stock clutch installed over the course of the past week. My evo has around 43k Miles and I have experienced no problems up until my last clutch went out last week.

Question:
I know that there is not much info here about what the problem may be, this is just what information I can present at the time. Does anyone have any clue as to what may have happened? The main reason I am asking is for warranty purposes, I just want an idea as to what I will be looking at when I get it hauled back up to the dealership later this week. After the clutch install last week, If this is a problem that the warranty does not cover I may have an Evo chilling in the garage for a while.

Thanks ahead of time for your time and input.

**Edit: Completely Stock Evo 9

Last edited by Mezmoryze; Nov 7, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully it's just an upper intercooler pipe they didn't tighten up enough at the dealer.

Good Luck
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response 4RETECH!

That was exactly the problem, It was pretty evident after I popped the hood and knew what to look for.

Again, Thanks for the response, You have made my week a lot less painful.

Here is a pic of the pipe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad it worked out for you.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres another tip. If you ever have it pop off and can't fix it right then and there ( like at a track), you can unplug the maf and drive it the short distance to fix it since the car is virtually undrivable after the pipe comes off.