Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally putting in the spring from Aby this weekend...Ill try Aby's "recommended" setting & see how it works for me and let you guys know!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
SD recirc WTF?
Im an old man, so with what little hearing i have left, i choose not to listen to the bov.

Plus my recirc air is shooting / aimed into the compressor.... so in theory, i am using that forced air to an extent.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Nov 4, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Im an old man, so with what little hearing i have left, i choose not to listen to the bov.

Plus my recirc air is shooting / aimed into the compressor.... so in theory, i am using that forced air to an extent.
I understand, just poking friendly fun I often get frustrated when the neighbor kids ask "why can't I hear your bov very much?" And I think to myself I already hear it waaay too much
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
Finally putting in the spring from Aby this weekend...Ill try Aby's "recommended" setting & see how it works for me and let you guys know!
Cool let us know B.J.! I'll probably put mine on this weekend but I'm out of E so I don't think I'm going anywhere
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a boost leak test on my car... and the port side/fittings on the synapse dv were leaking big time. I even teflon taped them and they were still leaking. I've read through this thread and there was a person who had a similar problem but there was no follow up...

Is this normal? Are those fittings supposed to leak? Maybe synapse can chime in. They are the barb type fittings where you slip the hose over them, they came with the kit
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

did you call them?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Installed the DV this weekend. It's whistling at idle and leaking air out, I assume because I'm running no preload. Also getting a fair amount of flutter so I'm going to verify which port I'm using again, I may have swapped the top of the unit around during spring installation.

Also question to everyone: Can others twist/rotate the inlet/outlet flange even after installation? I have the clamps tight, they can't really go any tighter but I can still twist the adapter flange with my fingers. I don't know if it's leaking or not and I'm hoping this is how it's supposed to be and the o-ring is actually doing all the sealing. Hopefully that made sense to someone. *edit* I opened a ticket with Synapse too to see what they think.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Dec 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Installed the DV this weekend. It's whistling at idle and leaking air out, I assume because I'm running no preload. Also getting a fair amount of flutter so I'm going to verify which port I'm using again, I may have swapped the top of the unit around during spring installation.

Also question to everyone: Can others twist/rotate the inlet/outlet flange even after installation? I have the clamps tight, they can't really go any tighter but I can still twist the adapter flange with my fingers. I don't know if it's leaking or not and I'm hoping this is how it's supposed to be and the o-ring is actually doing all the sealing. Hopefully that made sense to someone.
Whistling at idle- I'm running one turn preload. I get a small whistle at light throttle.

Leaking air- Not under boost? Can you feel it? Where is it leaking from? Spray it with soapy water to identify the source.

Flutter- I'm running Port B, A is VTA, push mode. I still get occasionally but I also sometimes got it with the stock DV.

Swapped top around- I assume you're using Aby's spring. All that needed done was taking off the end cap and change the spring. I'm not sure what you meant by this.

Twisting the flanges- I could twist mine but it took some force. The o ring is going to do all the sealing but if you can easily turn the flanges with your fingers I would try some new rings.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Correct on the twisting the flanges - I can twist them with my fingers and the lock rings are all the way tight which is my main concern. The air leaking out the outlet flange @ idle seems normal to me because of the zero preload & my larger Synapse BOV also leaked a little at idle, once you give it gas the vacuum causes it to close and not to leak. And yes when I installed Abby's spring I may have rotated teh top of the assembly when I reinstalled it Thanks for the thoughts. Oh I'm running push mode, SD, VTA also so may be different from others.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the flanges rotating is fine. Here is what I got back from Synapse:

"The DV flanges are designed to rotate, as the O-ring is doing all of the sealing. The Clamps are not designed to prevent rotation, only the flange from popping out of the port. The DVs with flanges are designed and tested to withstand about 60 psi of boost without failure from the factory."
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ yeah mine does that too. i thought it was odd at first then found out its All good
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

how much preload are you guys running on this? 1 turn from all the way out? As tight as the screw goes?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

im running 3.5 turns from all the way out and it drives great and barely flutters. It only will flutter if im in 5th at low rpms and light throttle loads
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Im having an issue with my synapse DV freezing. Cold mornings = compressor surging
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prowakeskater
Im having an issue with my synapse DV freezing. Cold mornings = compressor surging
I've suspected this as well but I typically only notice it in the first minute or two if the car is really cold and I don't give it much time to warm up. Mine isn't really compressor surge though. I just hear the DV flutter a little when it activates between shifts.

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results